Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Localpages.com malware

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Localpages.com malware

Unread postby DarkVanilla » November 6th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Hello, nice to meet you!
I recently noticed some adverts on facebook and youtube and found out it was a malware, I tried to run a scan with malwarebytes in safemode but no viruses were found, also my avast! antivirus doesn't recognize any virus in my system nor I downloaded anything which might contain malwares.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't find a way to get rid of it by myself, so I decided to seek for help in this forum! Thanks in advance for taking time to read this thread and for your help.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:38:08 AM, on 11/7/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17080)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Programs\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Guida per l'accesso a Windows Live - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [nltide_2] regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32 (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\Programs\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C250725E-C317-4C67-A6C0-808CCCE4A95A}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: nProtect GameGuard Service (npggsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\GameMon.des.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: SwitchBoard - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe

--
End of file - 4434 bytes
DarkVanilla

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Localpages.com malware

Unread postby pgmigg » November 8th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Hello DarkVanilla,

Welcome to the forum! :)

My name is pgmigg and I'll be helping you with any malware problems.

Currently I am working under the guidance of the MRU teachers and everything I post to you, must first be approved by them.
This additional review process can add some extra time to my responses, but I will post back with instructions for you as soon as possible.

Before we begin, please read and follow these important guidelines, so things will proceed smoothly.
  1. The instructions being given are for YOUR computer and system only!
    Using these instructions on a different computer can cause damage to that computer and possibly render it inoperable!
  2. You must have Administrator rights, permissions for this computer.
  3. DO NOT run any other fix or removal tools unless instructed to do so!
  4. DO NOT install any other software (or hardware) during the cleaning process. This adds more items to be researched.
  5. Only post your problem at (1) one help site. Applying fixes from multiple help sites can cause problems.
  6. Print each set of instructions if possible - your Internet connection will not be available during some fix processes.
  7. Only reply to this thread, do not start another one. Please, continue responding, until I give you the "All Clean!" :cheers:
    Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

I am currently reviewing your log and will return, as soon as possible, with additional instructions. In the meantime...
Please take time to read the Malware Removal Forum Guidelines and Rules where the conditions for receiving help at this forum are explained.

Please read all instructions carefully before executing and perform the steps, in the order given.
lf, you have any questions or problems, executing these instructions, <<STOP>> do not proceed, post back with the question or problem.
pgmigg
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby pgmigg » November 8th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Hello DarkVanilla,

Thank you for your patience... :)

The HJT log you posted was run under outdated version of HJT - it means that its findings cannot be relied upon. So to get a good look at your computer I first need you to run some more scans for me.

Step 1.
OTL - Download
Please download OTL.exe by Old Timer and save it to your Desktop.

OTL Scan
Important! Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  1. Double click on OTL.exe to run it.
  2. Under Output, ensure that Standard Output is selected.
  3. Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
    Leave the remaining selections to the default settings.
  4. Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  5. When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened, maximized
    • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized on task bar.
  6. Please post the contents of both OTL.txt and Extras.txt files in your next reply.

Step 2.
Run CKScanner
  1. Please download CKScanner from Here
  2. Important: - Save it to your Desktop.
  3. Double-click CKScanner.exe and click Search For Files.
  4. After a very short time, when the cursor hourglass disappears, click Save List To File.
  5. A message box will verify the file saved.
  6. Double-click the CKFiles.txt icon on your desktop and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.

Please include in your next reply:
  1. Do you have any problems executing the instructions?
  2. Contents of OTL.txt log file
  3. Contents of Extras.txt log file
  4. Contents of CKFiles.txt log file
  5. Do you see any changes in computer behavior?

Thanks,
pgmigg
pgmigg
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby DarkVanilla » November 9th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Nevermind, I found out the problem.
It was a toolbar extension in firefox, by updating firefox to 8.0 the toolbar disactivated and the malware is completly gone
DarkVanilla

Unread postby pgmigg » November 9th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Hello DarkVanilla,
...I found out the problem.
It was a toolbar extension in firefox, by updating firefox to 8.0 the toolbar disactivated and the malware is completly gone

I am not sure as you did, at least because updating request for FF 8.0 was coming later than you placed your original post.
Anyway, the absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear and if you would like to continue and have the computer thoroughly checked, please run the scans you previously requested and answer for one more question.

Please tell me, is this computer used for business purposes or connected to business or educational network?
I need to know it - so I can provide the proper instructions.

If you choose NOT to continue cleaning process, please indicate that in your next reply and this topic will be closed.
pgmigg
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby deltalima » November 12th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Due to a lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove