Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Any Ideas??

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Any Ideas??

Unread postby Bertha » February 15th, 2005, 9:14 am

I am trying to get some car insurance but I am having problems.

You see I am only 18 which turns many companies away staright off and no-one will give me a fair quote or even a chance.

I passed my test back in October and since then have been trying to get some insurance, they say to me do I have any no claims, (of course I dont because not a single compnay will offer me a fair and reasnoble quote so that I can get on the ladder at all)

So what I am asking is if anyone has any ideas, I mean I am trying to insure a "Smart" car which is just 698cc and 51bhp. I have not brought it yet because I want a good quote first.

They offer me a quote around the £3000 mark which is far far to high!!!
:banghead:

Any good companies out there?

Bertha
Bertha
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby TonyDevil » February 15th, 2005, 10:02 am

I've had pretty much the same problem.
I'm 24 now, I do drive a reasonably powerful car (and bike), I have over 4years no claims and they still want near a grand. my first quote when I bought the car when I was 20 was £8000. My Dad very nicely helped me out by insuring it in his name.

Alot of the time the power of the car doesnt matter, its the value.
For instance trying to insure a £5k smart, yes it might be low powered, but the vehilce costs more that a £500 2.0ltr sierra to repair/replace.
Also, it doesnt matter how much the vehicle costs or how hi powered it is, if you drive into the back of a ferrari at 30mph, its going to cost, a lot!
Young drivers have more of a habit of doing that.

Are you looking at fully comprehensive or 3rd party?
Do you have an older family member that can insure it 'for any driver' or with you as a named driver.
We found 'anydriver' with CIS to be cheaper than having an 18yr old as a named driver.
Also, ring round yourself, the best quotes I have had, have never come from places like the AA or other 'we get you the best quote' websites.
Try people like direct line, or through your bank. If your a student, then your account manager can often help arrange a discount if you insure through them.

disclaimer : i no nothing about the legal side of this, these are the ramblings of a mentally incapable petrol head.
TonyDevil

Unread postby Bertha » February 15th, 2005, 10:33 am

Cheers Tony,

I am looking at Fully Comp, my dad wants me to start my no claims as soon as possible and begin to build it up from scratch.

I metioned thrid party but he doesnt like that idea, you see all the family have had fully comp from as soon as they passed their test and this is not going to change which I understand.

I might try to to ask my dad if I can put th epolicy in his name.

Try people like direct line, or through your bank. If your a student, then your account manager can often help arrange a discount if you insure through them.

Im not sure entirely what you mean by this? I am a student but it is the
account manager
that is confusing me here?

Oh and £8000 for your first car thats steep, did you accept the quote or go elsewhere? (was that in your dads name too)

Thanks
Bertha
Bertha
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby TonyDevil » February 15th, 2005, 11:10 am

re: account manager
some banks use account managers, if you have a student account they often do you good deals. Banks often also do insurance for cars/houses/travel etc, your account manager maybe able to get you a preferential rate. A friend of mine did just that, thats why I suggested it. :lol:

metioned thrid party but he doesnt like that idea, you see all the family have had fully comp from as soon as they passed their test and this is not going to change which I understand.

Unfortunately times change, that option may no longer be viable.

I never paid the £8k, the car was only worth £11k
Under my dads name, I think mine was about £1500 for anydriver.
When I got to 21, the insurance dropped considerably, I think I paid £2400 for my first year with no noclaims (+ an accident history).

I picked up 6 points last year :crybaby: so I'm waiting to see what that does to my car insurance this year. It didnt affect my bike insurance(it seems a few points for bikers is expected :?: ), but I'm not so sure the car insurers will feel the same. :angel12:
TonyDevil

Unread postby Bertha » February 15th, 2005, 11:43 am

Everyone wants you rmoney these dyas and that is just how things work isnt it.

I dont think I have a student accoutn as you metioned I just have a standard one but I'll still ask the bank.

I
picked up 6 points last year so I'm waiting to see what that does to my car insurance this year. It didnt affect my bike insurance(it seems a few points for bikers is expected ), but I'm not so sure the car insurers will feel the same.

I'd imagine yur cost will go up again but I am a novice at this.

Thanks Tony you have given me some helpful advice here.

Bertha
Bertha
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby P;3 » May 28th, 2005, 6:44 am

hi folks :lol:

depends on what you call " a fair quote"

you are within the younger age bracket, first car, no No claims Bonus yet; yoo ARE a rick to any insurance company at that end of the age-range;sorry, but I think you may agree that that is so

and the type of cover you seek will also affect it

Premiums are, unfortunately , spiralling because of all the claims
but, have you surfed around widely to get a general view of various companies ?

I think you may well find that prices will be a bit more than you may be expecting or wishing to hear :(
P;3

Unread postby ChrisRLG » May 28th, 2005, 11:59 am

Try asking the price of a 5 year old micra 1.1 as 3rd party.

Bet that will make you feel better.

What I suggest is start with an older car, and 3rd Party.

It will lower the premium, and the loss of a older car is not so bad if you have any damage caused by your own fault.

You will build up your no claims with that for the first few years and you will then find the cost of insuring a new car less of a problem.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » May 28th, 2005, 1:22 pm

Not sure how things work on the other side of the pond.... but in Canada, if you take a drivers training course, that will drop the quote from the Insurance company.

Even still, until you are 25, the companies pretty much rape ya.

I paid about $3200/yr till I was 25(no drivers training course)... now I pay about $900/yr. Drive an 03 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 5.7L V-8.
Last edited by 'KotaGuy on July 18th, 2005, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby UKBiker » June 4th, 2005, 6:48 pm

Try TESCO for young driver insurance, but whoever you go to, be prepared for a very large premium. You can do a couple of things to lower the cost tho, consider-

limited mileage policy
increase the excess amount
get some advanced training through the AIM

all these can reduce the premium, but to be honest, at 18, fully comp on a newish car, I doubt you will get below £2500. Good luck tho.

UKBiker
UKBiker
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby P3-450 » June 4th, 2005, 7:36 pm

Uhh, insurance :evil:

I got my first car when I was 18, a Vauxhall Nova 1.0.

I took my Pass Plus advance course. My quote came to £1500 :(

Nearly been driving for 4 years now with 3 years NCB and I got a quote for a Corsa 1.2l a while back and that still wasnt much under a grand.

Im quite lucky now because I have a job with a company car 8)
P3-450
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions