Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

BSOD : Windows 10 wont boot after deleting registry key

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

BSOD : Windows 10 wont boot after deleting registry key

Unread postby Johndoe225 » June 21st, 2019, 3:46 pm

Hello guys,
I did something bad.
There is a registry entry in the CurrentControlSet that I deleted. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run .... I dont remember which one.
Since I deleted this entry, windows refuses to start again.
I tried system restore ; system reinstall.... none worked. I get a BSOD
Can you help me ?
Johndoe225

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: BSOD : Windows 10 wont boot after deleting registry key

Unread postby mAL_rEm018 » June 21st, 2019, 4:34 pm

Hello Johndoe225, :)

Although I'm no expert in BSODs, I will try to help you as best as I can. First off, you shouldn't play in the Windows Registry unless you know what you're doing and have made a backup. May I ask why you removed an entry from your Registry?

You mentioned BSOD... Do you have any error code? If it's easier, you can take a picture of the BSOD an upload it here.

Regards,
mAL
mAL_rEm018
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Johndoe225 » June 21st, 2019, 5:40 pm

mAL_rEm018 wrote:Hello Johndoe225, :)

Although I'm no expert in BSODs, I will try to help you as best as I can. First off, you shouldn't play in the Windows Registry unless you know what you're doing and have made a backup. May I ask why you removed an entry from your Registry?

You mentioned BSOD... Do you have any error code? If it's easier, you can take a picture of the BSOD an upload it here.

Regards,
mAL

Thank you for the quick reply.
The BOSD error is : Ox000021a
Who removed the entry from the Registry ? : Autorun (from Sysinternals) I just picked the registry listed there and deleted it from Autorun. After I deleted I checked Regedit ; the entry was gone (I was so proud of myself :oops: .... not so much now :( )

Aprat from what I said in my OP I also tried the followings :

sfc /scannow ---> This goes to 100% but says after "resource protection could not perform the requested operation "
I tried : Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth --> This sais /Online is not an option of DISM . Therefore I gave up on that option

Lastly I just tried a solution at Bleeping to restore registry https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... ?p=4371456
This did not work either
Here what the solution said :
Open a cmd prompt and type :- (type cmd's exactly as you see here, syntax is important)

bcdedit | find "osdevice"

(press enter, the | is called a pipe and is above the \ key), it will return ...OS device partition...X (where X is a drive letter) use this letter in the following cmd's. Often in 10 this will be D (do not worry if C: drive is the normal OS drive things work differently here, we will use D in this example)

Next type:-

D: (press enter)

cd D:\Windows\System32\ Config (press enter)

Dir (press enter)

The contents of the system32 \config file will open, if the regback date, is before this happened, then continue (if not you have lucked out)

cd regback (press enter)

copy *.* D:\windows\system32\config (press enter)

Type:- ALL to the proceed prompt, that's it, the registry has been restored to the date of the regback, see how you go.
Johndoe225

Unread postby mAL_rEm018 » June 21st, 2019, 6:17 pm

Hello Johndoe225,

Thank you for the information! It's getting quite late over here. I will do some research tomorrow and post some instructions. :)

Regards,
mAL
mAL_rEm018
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Johndoe225 » June 21st, 2019, 6:43 pm

mAL_rEm018 wrote:Hello Johndoe225,

Thank you for the information! It's getting quite late over here. I will do some research tomorrow and post some instructions. :)

Regards,
mAL

Hopefully you'll get back at me quick. I was told to go to our company support team for a complete reinstall if I could not fix it by myself. So next post is like a hit or a miss for me ;)
Johndoe225

Unread postby mAL_rEm018 » June 21st, 2019, 6:49 pm

I completely understand. Is this a business computer?
mAL_rEm018
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Johndoe225 » June 21st, 2019, 7:05 pm

mAL_rEm018 wrote:I completely understand. Is this a business computer?

Gotta be honest. Yeah it is. But I got lot of flexibility here though. Unless MRU does not fix business computers
Johndoe225

Unread postby mAL_rEm018 » June 21st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Johndoe225 wrote:

Gotta be honest. Yeah it is. But I got lot of flexibility here though. Unless MRU does not fix business computers

Thank you for your honesty. :) We only help with home computers for various reasons, so we don't fix business computers here, but you can try posting at the following forum: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... d-support/ I've linked you directly where you should post if you ask for help there. They offer help for business computers.

Regards,
mAL
mAL_rEm018
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Johndoe225 » June 21st, 2019, 7:25 pm

mAL_rEm018 wrote:
Johndoe225 wrote:

Thank you for your honesty. :) We only help with home computers for various reasons, so we don't fix business computers here, but you can try posting at the following forum: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... d-support/ I've linked you directly where you should post if you ask for help there. They offer help for business computers.

Regards,
mAL

Thanks friend.
Just tell me one thing though : is it fixable ? (didn't wanna waist the week end on google that's why I came directly here)
Johndoe225

Unread postby mAL_rEm018 » June 22nd, 2019, 6:35 am

Johndoe225 wrote:Thanks friend.
Just tell me one thing though : is it fixable ? (didn't wanna waist the week end on google that's why I came directly here)

I specialize in malware removal and my experience with BSODs is limited, so I can't really answer your question. There are experts in BSODs at Bleeping Computer that will be able to better assess the situation.

Given that this is a work computer, I will go ahead and close this topic.
mAL_rEm018
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove