Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

yahoo controls firefox, delays in loading, browsing

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: yahoo controls firefox, delays in loading, browsing

Unread postby Gary R » December 31st, 2014, 2:07 am

Both FRST.exe and Fixlist.txt need to be on your Desktop. If they are, then FRST will process your fixlist.

If you've already created a fixlist and it's somewhere other than on your Desktop, then you need to drag and drop it onto your Desktop and then when you hit fix, FRST will be able to process it.

I know you have at least one copy of FRST.exe on your Desktop, since your log tells me that that's where the scan was run from, so it's just a matter of making sure you have a copy of fixlist on your Desktop as well.

Don't worry about any other copies of FRST you may have, we'll remove them all when we finish, though why you should have more than 2 is somewhat puzzling, since as far as I'm aware you've only downloaded 2 copies (you lost the first copy somehow).
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby doby108 » January 2nd, 2015, 2:34 pm

ok done. yahoo appears to NOT be taking over some things in firefox that it had been before. now time to clean up. You said you really didn't find anything on here, correct? The AVG has expired, really don't want to get that one again. suggestions. I know there are free things I can use to keep things virus/mal/ad etc free...
Suzanne btw Happy New Year
doby108

Unread postby Gary R » January 2nd, 2015, 7:00 pm

If things appear to be working as they should, then I think we've done as much as we can. You do appear to have some issues with your machine, but I do not believe their causes are malware related.

Personally if this were my machine, I'd reformat it and re-install Windows, but if you can live with it as it is, then I'd say we're finished, and it's time to clean away the programs we've been using on your computer.

• Please download delfix and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click on delfix.exe and select " Run as administrator " to run it.
  • Check all the boxes then click on Run.
  • Once it has finished, a notepad file named DelFix.txt will open. Post the contents of this notepad in your next reply.
  • The log can also be located at the root of the system drive, C:\DelFix.txt.

As far as I can see, your computer looks clear of infection now.

Please read the article below which will give you a few suggestions for how to minimise your chances of getting another infection.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby doby108 » January 3rd, 2015, 12:15 am

# DelFix v10.8 - Logfile created 02/01/2015 at 20:12:24
# Updated 29/07/2014 by Xplode
# Username : suzanne - MCGILLCOGILPC
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (32 bits)

~ Activating UAC ... OK

~ Removing disinfection tools ...

Deleted : C:\FRST
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\FRST-OlderVersion
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\Addition.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\dds.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\Fixlog.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\FRST.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\FRST.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Desktop\Search.txt
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Downloads\dds.scr
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Downloads\HijackThis.exe
Deleted : C:\Users\suzanne\Downloads\hijackthis.log

~ Creating registry backup ... OK

~ Cleaning system restore ...

New restore point created !

~ Resetting system settings ... OK

########## - EOF - ##########
doby108

Unread postby Gary R » January 3rd, 2015, 1:45 am

Looks like you're OK to go.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby doby108 » January 4th, 2015, 5:51 pm

ok what do I uninstall?
doby108

Unread postby doby108 » January 4th, 2015, 5:53 pm

let me rephrase that. anything else that I need to get rid of other than what your fix took off? Do I have more than 1 anti virus on here. I believe you recommended that I wipe the computer. that would get rid of all the anti virus malware etc programs I have on here? I am reading through your suggestions with all the options of various free safety applications. I just don't want to add more and bog this harddrive down anymore than it is already. Thanks. suzanne
doby108

Unread postby Gary R » January 5th, 2015, 5:18 am

No, there's nothing else to uninstall.

The only anti-virus and anti-malware programs I see on your machine are AVG and Malwarebytes, which are quite adequate for the task of protecting your computer from infection, provided you browse with care and accept the fact that there is no such thing as 100% security when you are online.

Generally speaking most people equate greater online safety with the number of defensive programs they have installed, when in actual fact it's their own browsing habits that will have the greatest influence on how safe they are.

The reason I suggested a reformat, is because of the issues you have with MSConfig, but if you're happy to live with your machine in the condition that it is in at present, then I would not pressure you to perform one, just so long as you're aware that your machine may not perform as well as it might.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby doby108 » January 6th, 2015, 11:52 pm

thanks for all your patience and info, Gary. I will consider a reformat when i am ready to purge a bunch of stuff from here. you did recommend a free antivirus instead of AVG. AVG has expired and i am not sure if i want to re-up and pay their price. I thought that Microsoft did a good job at keeping things clean also. do you believe this to be true? suzanne
doby108

Unread postby Gary R » January 7th, 2015, 2:23 am

Personally I use Microsoft Security Essentials as the AV on my computer, and I've always found it to be adequate to my needs. It's light on resources, and doesn't seem to conflict with anything. However, as long as you respect their limitations, pretty much any of the mainstream AV programs (free or paid for) will give you good protection.

That does not however mean that you are free to do whatever you want online without fear of consequence. As I said, your browsing habits will influence your chances of being infected much more than your choice of AV program, so browse with care and you should be OK.

As your problems now appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous