Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

CCleaner - Discussion Topic

Notifications for Security Updates, as well as News and Information from across the web - mostly security minded.

Update Contributors: Members of the Malware Removal University.

Regular Members: Our Regular Members are invited to start and/or participate in all other topics. Join in and share the news that's important to you.

Re: CCleaner - Discussion Topic

Unread postby Wingman » September 30th, 2014, 9:27 am

I was surprised to see 2 updates to CCleaner in 2 days...
v4.18.4842 - Released Sept. 25, 2014
v4.18.4844 - Released Sept. 26, 2014

If you as a company are going to add some kind of monitoring, it should (in my opinion) be left up to the user to initiate it, not turned on by default. And if turned on by default... have a way for the user to turn it off if they want... BEFORE releasing it. ;)

I know many computer users do not have a clue about what goes on within the computer... all they want is for the computer to work when they turn it on. So these people need some kind of reminder or monitoring to "help" them help themselves.

Personally, I don't like having any software monitor or check for updates or whatever. Just additional overhead not needed, I check several times a week for any software updates. The only "automatic" check I have is for Windows update, to notify me of updates and my AV to update the definitions. Anything else, I'll check manually.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Gary R » September 30th, 2014, 11:20 am

I'm in full agreement with that practice. Apart from Windows updates, which I have set to notify only, I let my AV and AS programs update definitions automatically, and that's that.

Aside from not having dozens of unwanted updaters running wastefully in the background using up my memory, it also forces me into the discipline of checking for updates myself, which keeps me in touch with new developments. I wouldn't have that if everything was set to auto update.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Mr Onion » September 30th, 2014, 11:24 am

Wingman wrote:</snip>
Personally, I don't like having any software monitor or check for updates or whatever. Just additional overhead not needed, I check several times a week for any software updates. The only "automatic" check I have is for Windows update, to notify me of updates and my AV to update the definitions. Anything else, I'll check manually.

Likewise. I also use Secunia PSI to make checking easier. You can set it to run only when requested, and notify, download or install just as Windoze Update does.
Mr Onion

Unread postby Wingman » September 30th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Gary R wrote:I'm in full agreement with that practice. Apart from Windows updates, which I have set to notify only, I let my AV and AS programs update definitions automatically, and that's that.
I have Windows Update set to only notify me of updates, not download or install... I should have been more clear. I've had it that way for years.

Unfortunately, using Windows 8.1 x64... Secunia PSI doesn't seem to play nice, so I use FileHippo's update checker. It's a shame because Secunia seemed to find things that FileHippo didn't and vice versa.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » September 30th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Wingman wrote:
Gary R wrote:I'm in full agreement with that practice. Apart from Windows updates, which I have set to notify only, I let my AV and AS programs update definitions automatically, and that's that.
I have Windows Update set to only notify me of updates, not download or install... I should have been more clear. I've had it that way for years.

Unfortunately, using Windows 8.1 x64... Secunia PSI doesn't seem to play nice, so I use FileHippo's update checker. It's a shame because Secunia seemed to find things that FileHippo didn't and vice versa.

I use it on the W8.1 x64 PC and it works perfectly. (well, I say perfectly. It hangs for about 20 seconds after opening, but then it does the same on the W7 laptop)
Mr Onion

Unread postby Wingman » October 1st, 2014, 8:55 am

I'll try it (Secunia PSI) again... maybe I just didn't wait long enough for it to finish "hanging". ;)

Edit:
Downloaded and install Secunia PSI... worked fine. Thanks. :)
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » October 1st, 2014, 11:25 am

No idea why it hangs, but it does so on all PC's I have tried. Even the XP SP3 I had before the W8.1
Mr Onion

Unread postby Gary R » October 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm

I don't like some of the conditions in Secunia's EULA, so I won't use it on my machine.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » October 1st, 2014, 6:08 pm

I use Secunia PSI specifically because it provides me with reminders to manually update things I might otherwise miss. Sure, I remember or receive notifications for things like Java, Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc., but it's the little things I don't use very often, like VLC media player, that I might not think to check for needed updates.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

CCleaner Updates

Unread postby Dokie » November 28th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Hi! I'm brand new to your forum. I didn't like the up date either. I think it has been fixed. I've been using CCleaner for 10 years and it's the only 3rd party App that I use to clean my PC. I run MSE and MBAM Pro for my protection.
I read the whole thread, but I didn't see any thing about using the registry feature in CCleaner. I know there are all kinds of warnings about registry cleaners and that they do more harm than good. I've always used the CCleaner registry cleaner and started using it before I read about the warnings. I would like to hear your thoughts about the registry cleaner in CCleaner.
I think I know W7 very well. I'm hoping to learn some new things here and maybe help a little with the knowledge that I have learned in my 10 years of owning a computer. It's looks like I can learn a lot here.
Thanks for reading my reply!
Dokie
Banned Member

Re: CCleaner Updates

Unread postby Gary R » November 28th, 2014, 1:02 pm

The general feeling here is that it is not a good idea to use any automated tool to "clean" the Registry, that includes the one that comes with CCleaner.

The benefits of these type of tools range between marginal and non-existant, whereas the problems caused by using them are frequently seen in the forums.

I'm not going to go into further details, since this topic is not the appropriate place for a discussion of this type, but if you do want to discuss things in more detail, then feel free to open a new topic in the General Discussions forum ... viewforum.php?f=26
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CCleaner Updates

Unread postby Cypher » November 28th, 2014, 1:12 pm

See also the CCleaner Discussion Topic.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=63132
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby askey127 » September 24th, 2015, 9:48 am

Looks like the "builds" page at the moment does not have a slim version of 5.10.
Hope they don't stop posting it, or the portable one will be the only option.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Wingman » September 24th, 2015, 10:59 am

The slim version usually (usually) shows up several days after the initial update. Hope it continues to do so. :)
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to News Desk