Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

cookie-settings

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

cookie-settings

Unread postby europanorama » March 15th, 2006, 7:24 pm

which are the best cookie-settings in firefox and internet explorer? to be savest? i know that there are other precausions to be set-which i have already done. remain the cookies. activescan showed infections.
europanorama

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 15th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Hello europanorama,

Well, the safest route would be to not allow cookies and all. This is not practical because at many sites you will lose much of their functionality if you do not allow them to set cookies. Additionally, if you like to "save your logon" at a site, this is also done by setting a cookie.

That being said, these are the settings that I use which, I would say represent a "medium" setting.

For Firefox:

Checkmark in "Allow Sites to Set Cookies".
Checkmark in "for the originating site only".
Keep cookies (since I wake to save my logon at sites such as this) I have "until they expire" set in the drop-down box.
If you do not save your log in for sites such as this one select "until I close Firefox" in the drop-down box.

For Internet Explorer:

I have mine set to "Medium" with a list of sites that I always block cookies from under the "Sites" button. Obviously, for maximum protection, you would select the highest level.

I also have a program called Window Washer that I use at shutdown every night. It has a cookie manager plug-in which allows me to keep selected cookies and remove the rest so that I start out with a clean slate the next morning.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster => SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard => SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware => If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware => If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad => IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file => The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • Google Toolbar => Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
  • Use a Firewall => I can not stress enough how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. For an excellent article on Firewalls, why you should use one and a some of those available, see Computer Safety On line - Software Firewalls. I recommend ZoneAlarm or Sunbelts Kerio. ZoneAlarm is more user-friendly, but Sunbelts Kerio is considered more secure.
  • UPDATE!-UPDATE!-UPDATE! => This is, without a doubt, THE MOST IMPORTANT element in keeping your computer free of malware. Keep each and every one of your anti-malware tools AND Windows up-to-date with all current definitions and patches.
I also suggest that you delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself), for example:
  • C:\WINDOWS\Temp\--->Everything After the \.
  • C:\Temp\--->Everything After the \.
  • C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\--->Everything After the \.
  • Repeat for all users.
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files:
  • Click Start=>Control Panel=>Internet options.
  • Under the Generaltab.
  • Click Delete Files button.
  • Place a check-mark in Delete all off-line content.
  • Click OK=OK
  • Exit Control Panel
  • Repeat for all users.
Empty the recycle bin:
  • Right-click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop.
  • Select "Empty Recycle Bin".
  • Repeat forall users.
Note: You can also do the above steps using a program such as Cleanup! from Steven Gould or CCleaner.These steps should be done on a regular basis.

Also, please see: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please note that unless you completely restrict them, you'll probably have tracking cookies show up in most of the popular scanners. They are more of a nuisance than anything else, just delete them (or "fix" depending on the scanner that you're using) :wave:

SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby europanorama » March 16th, 2006, 2:55 am

that was very precise. more than i had expected. i hope i can solve the following problem. it is not the first time i had this login-problem but on an other site.
i cannot login to dpreview.com, despite getting a new password.
i have spybot, spywareblaster and spywareguard among other tools like cleanup, emptemp2,regvac, ace utilities.

i think i will now run everything and do the cleanings your succested. if i remember right, i could once solve that login-problem be reinstalling spywareblaster.
europanorama

Unread postby europanorama » March 16th, 2006, 2:58 am

since i have win2k, temp-folder is in winnt. but subfolders are cookies,history and temporaryinternet files. will these folder be restored?
europanorama

Unread postby europanorama » March 16th, 2006, 9:27 am

i could solve the problem with dpreview-website-login. i cold delete some temp-folders-but some only as administrator. i am still unsure if i can really delete all temp-folders. will the subfolders be recreated?
europanorama

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 16th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Hello europanorama,

That web site does not show up on any of Spywareblaster's "blocked sites" lists. You might want to check with your ISP. I don't think you have a malware problem or a software conflict.

As far as the temp folders are concerned: Do not try to delete the temp folder itself, just everything inside the temp folder. The temp folders are a necessary an integral part of Windows, but sometimes they get cluttered up with junk and so must be cleared out.

I'll post your login problem on one of the other boards here. I'm sure that one of the Internet Explorer or Firefox experts here may be able to shed some light on it. :wave:

SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby europanorama » March 18th, 2006, 11:47 am

thank you for your service. as i said-the problem is solved. i asked for a new password, did all the cleaning steps plus with used cleaning tools. i know that sometimes this blockade is possible. i deleted and reinstalled spywareblaster. this helped also in the past.

apropos spywareblaster:
i could not get an answer for this problem:
excite.com is in the list for blocked sites(Firefox). but its my email-box. all the time when i update its checked again. how can i put that site definitively on a white list?
europanorama

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 18th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Hello europanorama,

You asked:
apropos spywareblaster:
i could not get an answer for this problem:
excite.com is in the list for blocked sites(Firefox). but its my email-box. all the time when i update its checked again. how can i put that site definitively on a white list?

I don't know that you can do that with Spywareblaster. I will be happy to check around and see if it's possible. Hopefully, I can find you an answer. :wave:

SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 18th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Hello europanorama,

Thanks to KotaGuy,
Right click on the entry in the list and choose Add to Ignore List

if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
:wav:
SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » March 28th, 2006, 8:38 am

Glad we could be of assistance.