Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Double click adware?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Double click adware?

Unread postby AndyGitane » January 12th, 2011, 12:00 pm

I had the computer stripped and rebuilt, I think in October. He also updated to Office 2003. He didn't put Adobe or Photoscape back on it. I think when I downloaded one of those two I started having trouble. I was on the computer for a long time yesterday and never had a problem.
Didn't get the Extras file. Not in the Taskbar or Desktop

OTL logfile created on: 1/12/2011 8:54:04 AM - Run 2
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.20.1 Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Gary\Desktop
Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 6.0.2900.5512)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

447.00 Mb Total Physical Memory | 50.00 Mb Available Physical Memory | 11.00% Memory free
1.00 Gb Paging File | 1.00 Gb Available in Paging File | 66.00% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 672 1344 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 37.24 Gb Total Space | 30.12 Gb Free Space | 80.86% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Computer Name: GARY-8A733E5E27 | User Name: Gary | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: Current user
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: On | File Age = 30 Days

========== Custom Scans ==========

< HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\adver_id >

< End of report >
AndyGitane

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Bob4 » January 12th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Looks like your comp is clean now. :cheers:
A few things to clean up a bit and a few preventative measures.

You may keep Malwarebytes antimalware. Great program.
Also keep TFC and use it monthly or so.

Manually delete Rootkit Unhooker and MBRCheck.exe

Then continue on .

The reason for doing this is in case you need system restore you don't put back all we just took out.

• Click start/all programs /accessories/system tools/system restore
  • Place a check mark by turn off system restore
  • Windows will give you a warning click yes
  • Click APPLY
  • REBOOT the computer
  • Once rebooted go right back to the same place and place a check mark by system restore
  • Click APPLY and OK

Once it's done.
Click on Make Hosts Read Only to secure it against further infection.

What this does... A host file is a list of known bad sites.
When you click or type in a link the host file is checked first.
If that link you typed or clicked is in the host file your browser will redirect you to http://127.0.0.1 .
A page on your computer. Go ahead and click that sp you can see what happens. Then use the back button to come back.

More can be read about it here.
MVPS Hosts file

to contact the internet.
Example: A bad program installs itself. You would never know it was contacting the internet.
Downloading other nasties and so forth.

If you decide to run one of these you should be certain Microsoft firewall is disabled.

1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Off (not recommended).
3. Click OK.
I will list a few free firewalls for you. These are good (free) firewalls:
Never run 2 firewalls together. They will interfere with each other.
So just download and install one!

Online Armor Firewall
Sunbelt Personal Firewall Free

This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical/important updates.
I know rebooting sometimes can be at an inconvenient time. Postpone it till later. This will still take less time than we needed to fix your machine. ;-)

The more you install that you don't want or need the more you'll wish you didn't.

So how did you get infected in the first place ?

Safe and Happy Surfing. :)
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby AndyGitane » January 13th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Thank you for the relentless help you have provided me. I haven't installed a new firewall yet, later today. I've manually deleted the two suggested programs and set a restore point. Please extend my appreciation to Elrond for me.
Appreciative donation made a few days ago.
AndyGitane

Unread postby Cypher » January 15th, 2011, 7:23 am

As this issue appears to be resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous