Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Firefox Updates

Notifications for Security Updates, as well as News and Information from across the web - mostly security minded.

Update Contributors: Members of the Malware Removal University.

Regular Members: Our Regular Members are invited to start and/or participate in all other topics. Join in and share the news that's important to you.

Firefox Updates

Unread postby Scolabar » June 27th, 2010, 8:57 am

This is a bug fix release - see below:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=574905
Scolabar
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Firefox 3.6.6 Now Available

Unread postby xixo_12 » June 27th, 2010, 9:57 am

Thanks for info
xixo_12
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby ellipse » June 28th, 2010, 3:54 pm

For the glory of. . .Farmville?!

Ah, well, looks like it was an issue that needed to be taken care of. Thank you!
ellipse

Unread postby Elrond » June 29th, 2010, 2:58 am

This update royally screwed up my Mozilla. Be very careful when updating that Windows update has not downloaded an update at some time before you do the update. This Firefox update requires a restart but if windows is being updated which very easily happens when the reboot takes place the Firefox installation will hang and will not permit you to finish the update which means that Mozilla is dead but can not be removed. If that is the case it will take quite some work to unscramble the mess. The first step is to run the system restore from before the installation and then dig out all the files that say reboot required from the installation logs. Not fun at all. :twisted:
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Scolabar » June 29th, 2010, 4:00 am

Elrond,

This is exactly why I never let any program updates including Windows/Microsoft Update run automatically. I always process the updates manually on a regular basis. It might be slightly more hassle but at least you are in control of what is happening.
I know that is no consolation in this instance. :roll:
Scolabar
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby Elrond » June 29th, 2010, 6:30 am

My computer is set to download but not install but when you reboot it does take over. :evil:
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Scolabar » June 29th, 2010, 7:20 am

Elrond,

My systems are set to notify only and not to download. That way the alert notice is received and the download and installation can be run at a time to suit. I know this is more long-winded but I prefer to be in control of what is going on and to avoid such issues. :director2:
Scolabar
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » June 29th, 2010, 7:52 am

I certainly have Windows updates set to notify only.

I don't like the monthly Malicious removal tool running on my machine and always de-select it from the list of updates. I don't like anything that "cleans" my machine without me having control.

As for Mozilla updates I usually wait for a while before installing them. Too many of them are incompatible with my add-ons when they're first released, and I'd rather keep the functionality of my add-ons, than gain the often minor browser improvements of a new release.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby jmw3 » June 29th, 2010, 9:06 am

This update only required me to restart Firefox, not reboot my PC....
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Sludge3000 » June 29th, 2010, 10:05 am

jmw3 wrote:This update only required me to restart Firefox, not reboot my PC....

Same, I only had to restart firefox not my PC both on my work XP machine and my home win 7 machine :|
Sludge3000

Unread postby Cypher » June 29th, 2010, 12:47 pm

jmw3 wrote:This update only required me to restart Firefox, not reboot my PC....
Same here :)
Cypher
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Sludge3000 » June 29th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Elrond wrote:when the reboot takes place the Firefox installation will hang and will not permit you to finish the update which means that Mozilla is dead but can not be removed.

Sounds to me like an unfortunate coincidence that the Firefox update was being applied when the windows updates automcatically went to restart the machine. The FF update probably thought 'What the hell? You're not supposed to..............' and promptly borked itself.
Sludge3000

Unread postby Elrond » June 29th, 2010, 8:37 pm

No that was not what happened. The problem is that when you have the computer is set to down load but not install the moment you reboot the computer the Windows update starts. In my case the Firefox update did a reboot and that was what borked the Firefox installation. When trying to repair the damage I found a slew of delayed install files that could only be installed after a reboot. Took some work to hunt down all of those. Once they were renamed it was possible to reinstall Firefox.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Sludge3000 » June 30th, 2010, 2:26 am

Elrond wrote: In my case the Firefox update did a reboot and that was what borked the Firefox installation.

Well I guess every machine is different :roll:
Sludge3000

Unread postby Scolabar » June 30th, 2010, 4:43 am

Elrond,

The way I always run my update process is that I check for all available program updates and install them where found/necessary (I don't reboot when the program updater requests one if I know there are Win OS updates - you can reboot after every program update request but I have found this unnecessary thus far) then lastly I run Windows/Microsoft Update. Then I reboot the computer.

Hope this helps for the future. :)
Scolabar
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next