Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Computer will not stop running...

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Computer will not stop running...

Unread postby Wingman » January 28th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Hi kaypo,
Great job hanging in there! :) The last RSIT logs looks clean. Congratulations... your computer now appears to be malware free! :thumbup:
Unless you are still having problems, we can begin cleanup and I can make some final recommendations.

I would strongly suggest you update to XP Service Pack 3. It provides some critical security patches, that help protect your Operating System. You can obtain Windows XP Service Pack 3 from the Microsoft Download Center or a smaller version is available via Windows/Microsoft Updates. I would look at some Tech forums as I indicated in my post here, to read and prepare for the SP3 installation.

I would also advise you to uninstall Viewpoint Media Player Viewpoint products are considered "foistware" instead of adware or spyware because they are usually installed without the user's consent.

Step 1.
OTC
Let's perform some housekeeping and cleanup some of the tools we used.
Please download OTC.exe... by OldTimer. Save it to your desktop.
  1. Double click on OTC.exe.
    If you receive the "Open File - Security Warning" prompt, press "Run".
  2. Click on CleanUp!.
  3. Click "Yes" to the Begin cleanup process? prompt.
  4. Click "Yes" ... when prompted to reboot the computer to remove files.
Your computer should restart automatically. If it doesn't, please do so manually.

Step 2.
You can manually delete the following:
SysProt.zip... SysProt folder...and any associated reports.

Step 3.
You have ERUNT, this utility can be setup to create a backup of the registry, each day when you first logon. See the readme.txt in the ERUNT folder.
Create a new - clean SRP (System Restore Point)
Now that you're clean, it's a great time to create a new, clean SRP and remove any old, possibly compromised, entries.
Create a new SRP
  1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  2. Select Create a restore point... then press the Next...button.
  3. Type a name for the new SRP... like All Clean... then press the Create... button.
  4. When finished... press the Close...button.
Remove old SRP entries
  1. Now... Go to Start > Run... type in: cleanmgr...press the OK...button.
    The Disk Cleanup begins "calculating" space savings by compressing old files. This could take several minutes.
  2. When available... select the More Options... tab.
  3. In the System Restore section... Press the Clean up...button.
  4. Reply Yes to the prompt. Press the X to close and exit.
    All existing restore points will be deleted... except the new one you just created.

Please follow these simple guidelines in order to help keep your computer more secure:

Update your Antivirus programs and other programs regularly. <<---Very Important!
Secunia Software Inspector - Copyright © Secunia. F-secure Health Check - Copyright © F-Secure Corporation.

Visit Microsoft often
Keep on top of critical updates, as well as other updates for your computer.
How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
Using Windows Update for Windows XP
Microsoft Update Home

Install additional (free) programs, that can help improve security.
Many feel that having a "layered" protection scheme is beneficial, you'll have to decide what works best for your situation.
Here are a few you can look into, if you want. :)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
You have this already... It's a great scanner... should be used at least weekly. Be sure to check for updates before running any scans.
Download it from Malewarebytes © Malwarebytes Corporation.
Tutorials are available for installing and running, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Powerful, easy to use and free. For real-time protection you will have to purchase the product.

Spybot Search and Destroy
Can offer some additional protection with it's Immunization process
Download it from © Safer Networking Ltd. Just choose a mirror and off you go.
A Spybot tutorial can be found Here.

SpywareBlaster
Download it from © Javacool Software LLC.
A SpywareBlaster knowledgebase can be found Here.

WinPatrol
Provide some limited realtime protection and can be used to control Startup entries, as well.
Download it from Copyright © BillP Studios
Information about how WinPatrol works, is available Here.
(The free version of WinPatrol... provides limited real-time protection)

3rd Party Firewall
Looking over your log, I didn't see any evidence of a third party firewall installed. If you have one installed, great, it should be enabled.
As the term conveys, a firewall is an extra layer of security installed onto computers, which restricts access from the outside world.
Firewalls protect against hackers and malicious intruders.
If you do not have a firewall installed...
I strongly recommend you download a free (for personal use) firewall NOW that monitors traffic in
both directions... from one of these excellent vendors:
  1. Comodo (Is now bundled with AV software, toolbar and search provider. Opt to install only the firewall software... uncheck the rest)
  2. ZoneAlarm (uncheck ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker during installation if you choose this one)
  3. Ashampoo
  4. Agnitum
  5. Sunbelt/Kerio ... (30 day free trial)

If you are using the built-in Windows XP firewall, it is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a very basic firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution.
Remember to install and have active, only one firewall at the same time.

Read, stay informed.
Please check out these articles:
Tony Klein's "How did I get infected in the first place?"
How to prevent Malware:© miekiemoes - Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security .

Please let me know that you completed the cleanup steps, the create/purge System Restore point steps and reviewed the rest of the post.
Once I receive you reply, unless there are other malware questions or concerns, I will have this topic closed as resolved.

Stay Safe! 8)
Wingman
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby kaypo » January 28th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Wingman,

Thank you for ALL your help. I guess I will download this program ( Windows XP Service Pack 3). And your saying before I update this I need to go to the forum??

Again thank you for all your help.

Sincerely
Kaypo
kaypo

Unread postby Wingman » January 28th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Hi kaypo,
Glad we could help. :)

The reason I mention going to some of the Tech Forums... is because there are some preparations and requirements you should look into before installing SP3, or any Service Pack for that matter. A little research now, could save you time and frustration later. If you don't want to go to any of these forums, then Google SP3 and get information that way.

Links provided again, for your convenience.
The Elder Geek on Windows
I know The Elder Geek has SP3 information in the XP Home and Professional Forum.
BleepingComputer.com
WhattheTech...formerly TomCoyote

I'll ask for this topic to be closed as resolved, now.

Take care and surf safely :)
Wingman
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby markkhunt » January 28th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Since this issue appears resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
markkhunt
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous