Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Xp format

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Xp format

Unread postby careless25 » October 11th, 2009, 2:11 pm

I was just wondering why you can format a drive without reinstalling OS again. Or just delete everything except the OS.
careless25

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Xp format

Unread postby Vino Rosso » October 11th, 2009, 4:54 pm

careless25 wrote:I was just wondering why you can format a drive without reinstalling OS again.
If the OS is on C:, you can format the D:, E:, or any other drive. Or is that not what you had in mind?

careless25 wrote:Or just delete everything except the OS.
That's possible but would probably take some time to delete files/folders around the OS.

Care to elaborate on your post?
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby careless25 » October 12th, 2009, 12:43 pm

I wanted to remove every program installed, every fiel dleted from the hard drive without re-installing the XP again.

Vino Rosso wrote:careless25 wrote:
I was just wondering why you can format a drive without reinstalling OS again.
If the OS is on C:, you can format the D:, E:, or any other drive. Or is that not what you had in mind?

oops typo there i meant why you can't.

I only have one drive which i want to clean but leave the OS on it. If it is time consuming is it better to format the whole drive and re-install XP or go about uninstalling and deleting everything except the OS files?

C25
careless25

Unread postby Mr Darn » October 14th, 2009, 3:35 pm

getting into basic terms, you have 3 options.

1, a complete reformat and reinstall, which will clear all files and leave you with just the operating system (or in a 'like new' condition if using the recovery type disks, and not an XP disk)

2, A repair instalation, which replaces the operating system with the origional version, but also leaves most files intact such as word documents and photos.

In either case above, you will have to go to microsoft to catch up with all the updates and service packs.

3, spend time uninstalling programs (after researching them) and deleting files from the documents folders etc, untill its at a point where your happy.

If theres nothing you really want kept, and you just want to start over, option 1 is the quickest and easiest. Option 3 is not really recommended, and has prove to be a waste of time on many occasions.
But... it all depends WHY you want this done ;)
Mr Darn

Unread postby Bendek » October 16th, 2009, 9:51 am

bcause format will remve everything from he drive that is formatted, amnd prepare a new surface to data. i would uninstll programs without formaing, and it is best solution if you dont like touch system. some say it is waste of a time but it is good if you dont want touch system and you cant format a drive partition without touching certain files, all or nothing. So 1- ADD REMNOVE programs, uninstall them from this place, do not delete manually cause you will leave alot entries in registries. then delete other manually
Bendek

Unread postby careless25 » October 16th, 2009, 4:59 pm

okay thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Now the laptop that i want to format has a partition which i want to merge. Is that possible in Xp? or do i have to buy a program to do that?

Thanks,

C25
careless25

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions