Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

BdotEXE Active Desktop wipeout

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

BdotEXE Active Desktop wipeout

Unread postby socialite » September 5th, 2009, 4:38 pm

got a security warning popup with offer for immediate scan...opened CA security console and "ran" av scan; scan did not run, i.e., the run window never appeared and last scan date remained at 3 days previous...all subsequent attempts to scan individual files or folders results in error message: '..no filename or path, or insufficient permissions', etc...

WTM shows "b.exe" process running and "iexplorer" keeps popping up as app with blank window and a "chrome" ikon...

my active desktop has disappeared;

i can launch programs through WTM, file, new task run option only...

Windows explorer search reveals existence of "desktopset.exe"MFC...(never heard of it)

I downloaded HJT program...the intropage offered 'scan and create log' option... i hit that. subsequently, cannot find the log, and cannot open the program, (no permission, etc error)...

( a "ModemLog Agere Systems AC97 Modem" was created, a first, and not initiated by me and not associated with any operation on the modem)

first 'submit' of this post disappeared without trace

next attempt to 'preview' resulted in window erase

Issue is loss of desktop, taskbar, system tray, etc... suspect major infection

asking most humbly help.
I am sending this from a second machine (macbook)
I do have an update log from CA antivirus
Thanks
socialite

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: BdotEXE Active Desktop wipeout

Unread postby MWR 3 day Mod » September 9th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Hi,

We are sorry to see your topic is over three days old and no one has yet been able to respond and offer help.

If you still require assistance, please post a link to your topic in our Waiting for help with malware removal? forum, and our staff will make an effort to assist you as promptly as possible. Only post a LINK to this topic, DO NOT post your DDS log!

Please do not reply to this topic.

If you haven't posted within two days in the "Waiting for help with malware removal?" forum, we will assume you have been able to get assistance in other ways and this topic will be closed.
MWR 3 day Mod
MRU Undergrad
MRU Undergrad

Unread postby jmw3 » September 11th, 2009, 8:17 am

Hello & Welcome to Malware Removal

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this ensure Notify me when a reply is posted is ticked on the POST A REPLY page.

In the meantime please note the following:
  • Any recommendations made are for your computer problems only and should NOT be used on any other computer.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans/tools or other fixes unless I ask you to. This is very important for several reasons. Here are just two of them:
    1. The tools that we use are very powerful and can cause >>irreparable damage<< to your computer if not used correctly.
    2. Commercial scanners, for the most part can not completely remove some of the more "resistant" infections. This makes it much more difficult to get rid of completely.
  • If you get stuck or are unsure of something please ask for a further explanation, do not guess.
  • It will require more than one round to properly clean your system. Continue to respond to this thread until I give you the All Clean! even if symptoms seemingly abate.
Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.
If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just put a post here so that I know you're still here. We get a lot of people who simply leave & if there is no contact for that amount of time I will have to assume you have abandoned your topic.

Please be aware that removing Malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.

Thanks

exeHelper
Download exeHelper by Raktor from Here & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix
  • A black window should pop up. Press any key to close once the fix is completed
  • A notepad file named log.txt will be created on your desktop. Copy/paste the contents of the log & post in your next reply
Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", re-run the program before posting a log - then post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file)

DDS
Download DDS.scr by sUBs from one of the following links & save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2
  • Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal
  • Shortly after two logs will appear, DDS.txt & Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
  • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply
Gmer
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here.
  • Double click the .exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO

Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

Note: Do not run any programs while Gmer is running.

To post in next reply:
Contents of log.txt
Contents of DDS log
Contents of Attach.txt
Contents of Gmer log
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby socialite » September 11th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Thanks... I'll begin today.
socialite

Unread postby Gary R » September 15th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Due to lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove