Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

pc infected

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 6th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Hi mate sorry ive been busy with grandson. handful he is. Erm iwent too folders an all thats in there is System and System 32 .When i right click it it doesnt have a option to open with, only Open ?

So im stuck now an what too do .
cu later mate , thanks for all the help. Appreciated.

Swanny . :O)
Swanny2

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Gary R » January 6th, 2006, 7:07 pm

OK, you may have to unhide your system files.

Click on Start then My Documents. Now click on Tools and select Folder Options from the drop down list.
A Window named Folder Options will open. Click on the View tab, and scroll down the list to find Hide protected operating system files (recommended). Uncheck this, then scroll up and find Show hidden files and folders. Check this, then click the OK button.

Now click on My Computer, then on the C: Drive symbol, followed by the Windows Folder.
Now scroll down, and look for the system.ini file. (This will be a white turned over page symbol with a sort of blue notebook in the middle).
Right click this symbol, and then click on Open With (you will only get this option with a file, not a folder) to bring up a list of programmes. Select Notepad, and click OK. (Please make sure that Always use the selected programme to open this type of file is unchecked.)

This will open a Notepad file with the contents of system.ini. Copy and paste this in your next post.

Can you do the same with the win.ini file, which is also found in the Windows Folder. (same sort of symbol as the other)

Thanks,

Gary.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 7th, 2006, 6:32 am

Ta Gary but itryed that no good mate .there was only the 2 folders i mentioned an Another 1 called just System. hmm
agh well cheers anyway . tc

Swanny :O)
Swanny2

Unread postby Gary R » January 7th, 2006, 11:33 am

Hi Swanny,

Are you saying you have no WINDOWS folder on your C: Drive, or that you only have a Systems32 folder, and a Systems folder within your WINDOWS folder?

This is really unusual.

Has your hard drive been partitioned. Can you give me a list of what drives are on your computer.

Click on My Computer, and give me a list of what drives are available. They will be shown either as Hard Drives or Devices with Removable Storage.

Make a list of what you see, and type it into your next post. Be as complete in your description as possible.

Can you run a Search for System.ini.

Click on Start, then Search then All Files and Folders.
This will open the search box.
Now click on More Advanced Options. This will open another box.
Check the following items. Search System Folders, Search Hidden Files and Folders, Search Subfolders then click Search.

A list will come up, showing all the instances of System.ini.
Make a note of any and all files it finds, noting the full filepath.

Now do the same for Win.ini. (It will not be necessary to set the Advanced Options this time, as you've already set them).

Type these into your next post, along with the list of Drives.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 7th, 2006, 11:54 am

yes mate .
ok
hARD dISC dRIVES
local disc c
Devices with removable storage
floppy 1
(d)
Drive E

cheers ,
Swanny .. :O)
Swanny2

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 7th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Right gary i did a advanced search an there was nothing there ,only ststem an system32 oh an system internal,an mysystem.there was loads of stuff in there lol took me ages look.
i then went too search bar typed in System.ini and it found.
system-config settins
system.inibackup-back up file.

thats all matey.
cheers .
Swanny2

Unread postby Gary R » January 7th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Ok Swanny,

Can you run a search again, and write down exactly what comes up on the screen, word for word.

I really need the file paths for the files System.ini and Win.ini.

These will be of the form C:\Windows\System.ini (* this is just an example, the file path may be different, write down exactly as it shows on the results of your search. If it finds more than one file, write down all of them).

Now can you type them into your next post please.

Gary
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 8th, 2006, 7:48 am

Ok m8 i typed in search. files an folders system.ini
This is what it found
system c/windows config settings

system.ini backup c/windows/pss back up file

thats all that was there mate after typin that in . cheers .
Swanny2

Unread postby Gary R » January 8th, 2006, 11:08 am

OK, we're getting there.

Can you run the search for System.ini again please.

When it finishes its search, you will be presented with a list with the two entries you have just described.

Go to the first entry in the list, the one with the file path C:\Windows, place your cursor on the words system.ini and double click it.

This will open a notepad file entitled system.ini, click on Edit followed by select all, then edit followed by copy to copy the file to your clipboard.

Close the notepad file.

Now paste the file in your next post to me.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 8th, 2006, 11:54 am

i double clicked on system.ini back up and it says windows cannot open it it needs too know what program created it . sorry.
Swanny2

Unread postby Gary R » January 9th, 2006, 4:22 am

OK Swanny,

The reason the file didn't open, is because you clicked on the system.ini backup file, I wanted the system.ini file.

Not to worry, let's try this a different way.

Click on Start followed by Run.

This will open the Run box on your screen.
Now Type the following line into the Open box.

notepad C:\Windows\System.ini

Be careful to type it exactly. There is a space between the end of notepad and the C, otherwise there are no spaces between characters.

This should bring up a notepad file entitled System.ini.

Can you copy and paste this into your next post please.

Thanks, Gary
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Swanny2 » January 9th, 2006, 6:44 am

There is no system.ini too open mate. thats why . sorry
Swanny2

Unread postby Gary R » January 9th, 2006, 8:00 am

Did you try the start/run suggestion I made in my last post?

What happened?
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » January 23rd, 2006, 7:40 pm

While we appreciate that you may be busy, it has been 10 days or more since we heard from you.

Infections can change and fresh instructions will now need to be given. This topic is now closed, if you still require assistance then please start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum

If you wish this topic reopened, please send us an email to 'admin at malwareremoval.com' with a link to your thread.

You can help support this site from this link :
Donations For Malware Removal

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid,
working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used.
If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous