Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Possible Spyware Hijack

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Possible Spyware Hijack

Unread postby jmw3 » June 18th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Hi
Here's my recommendations re your security applications. You choice whether to follow them or not.
General rule is not to have more than one Anti-virus program & One Anti-spyware program running in memory at once due to conflicts etc.
Keep Avast, WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster.
I would recommend purchasing the licence for Malwarbytes' Anti-Malware real time protection & use that in place of Windows Defender. The licence is not expensive & is a one off payment for lifetime protection. If you don't want to purchase the licence then use Malwarbytes as an On Demand scanner once a week or so. I don't know much about Spyware Doctor but you could use that in place of Defender I suppose. Just so long as you only have one anti-spyware program as a real time scanner & use the others as On Demand then there shouldn't be any issues.
I would recommend getting rid of Spybot Search & Destroy as it is no longer that effective against todays malware.
Is the a-squared you have the free anti-virus+anti-spyware? If so you need to decide whether to keep either Avast or a-squared as you should not have both running at the same time.
Should I now also delete all apps and logs from my desktop used during this process eg Old Timer Combofix etc
We'll do that right now.

Clean Up
Now we need to clear out the programs we've been using to clean up your computer, they are not suitable for general malware removal and could cause damage if used inappropriately.
Remove Combofix
The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:
Click Start > Run then copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:
ComboFix /u
  • Double-click OTM
  • Click the CleanUp! button
  • Select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it yourself
You can delete the following from your desktop:
DDS.scr
Rooter.exe
RestoreOEAccMgr.exe
Any logs that may have been saved to your desktop

You should also remove HijackThis. You can do this by going to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
  • Double click HijackThis.exe
  • From the Main menu click Open the Misc Tools section
  • Using the scroll bar, scroll down to Uninstall HijackThis
  • Click Uninstall HijackThis & exit then click Yes at the prompt
If you haven't already done so, open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, click Quarantine then Delete All. Close the program.
Once this is done you can re-enable any of the security programs that you decide to keep.
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Dave » June 19th, 2009, 6:15 pm

OK
That's everything cleaned off the system that was used.

PC seems to be running a lot better/faster and I no longer have to boot twice as often was the case before.

In answer to your question - A squared is the free anti malware scanner so if you rate Avast I will keep this as my anti virus.

Can you tell me what I should expect from spyware blaster as it never seems to report anything?

I will delete Spybot S&D and consider the real time protection of Malwarebytes (I am guessing this is the protection module link?)

Am I all clean now?
Thank you once again for your help.
Dave

Unread postby jmw3 » June 19th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Hi
In answer to your question - A squared is the free anti malware scanner so if you rate Avast I will keep this as my anti virus.
Ok, that's fine.

Can you tell me what I should expect from spyware blaster as it never seems to report anything?
No it doesn't. SpywareBlaster adds a list of ActiveX controls, tracking cookies and sites which will be blocked in either Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers. You can read about it Here if you like. It's well worth keeping on your computer.

and consider the real time protection of Malwarebytes (I am guessing this is the protection module link?)
Yes.. that's right.

And yes your good to go.

All Clean
Here's a few more recommendations. Take the time to follow these & it will greatly reduce the risk of further infections and greatly diminish the chances of you having to visit here again.

Microsoft Windows Update
Microsoft releases patches for Windows and Office products regularly to patch up Windows and Office products loopholes and fix any bugs found. Install the updates immediately if they are found.
To update Windows
Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update
To update Office
Open up any Office program.
Go to Help > Check for Updates

Download and Install a HOSTS File
A HOSTS file is a big list of bad web sites. The list has a specific format, a specific name, (name is just HOSTS with no file extension), and a specific location. Your machine always looks at that file in that location before connecting to a web site to verify the address. So the HOSTS listing can be used to "short circuit" a request to a bad website by giving it the address of your own machine.

Download BlueTack's HOSTS Manager here, using Internet Explorer (Firefox won't work):
  • A short distance down the page in the centre, click on the Download button
  • Agree to the license
  • On the next page, to the right side of where it says Download Estimates, right click on the underlined word Hosts Manager choose Save Target As and download the installer Hosts20setup.exe to your desktop
  • Double click the Installer on your desktop and let it Install the Hosts Manager
  • After the installation is complete, click on the Hosts Manager icon on your desktop. (You can delete the other Hosts Switch icon from your desktop)
  • When the Hosts Manager comes up, click the small down arrows on the right side of the bar labeled Options and Tools,
  • Click Disable DNS Service. This is important
  • In the Left Pane, click Download
  • It will load 80,000 lines or more. When it finishes, also in the left pane, click Replace, and then click Save
You can use this manager to handle your HOSTS file download, edits, and most any other HOSTS issue.
If you have a separate party firewall or Winpatrol, you may have to give permissions at various times to Unlock the present default HOSTS file and install the new one.

Web of Trust
WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
  • Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop
WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Read some information here on how to prevent Malware.

Hopefully these steps will help keep your computer clean.

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!
The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

If there are any other questions then feel free to ask or in future do not hesitate to contact us here at The Malware Removal Forums
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Dave » June 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Ok
Taken your advice re what programs to run.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Excellent service from an excellent site.
Dave

Unread postby jmw3 » June 22nd, 2009, 9:11 pm

No problem... Glad I could help

Good Luck & Safe Surfing
jmw3
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » June 23rd, 2009, 2:21 am

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous