Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Clicking on IE icon opens Firefox.

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Clicking on IE icon opens Firefox.

Unread postby mak_20789 » May 30th, 2009, 4:31 am

Hi turtledove,
thank you for your reply.

1) I followed the instructions for FixPolocies.
However I did not understand what you mean by:

"This will enable your Control Panel and stop the Administrative warnings, if any malware infection resets the registry policy keys again."

2) I still can't access microsoft and cisco sites.

3) I removed both the IE icons. However a strange thing happened. I deleted both icons and then opened Recycle bin, and to my surprise there was a Firefox icon in it. Just to check if I deleted the correct icon, I restored it and on desktop it appeared as IE icon. So I deleted it again and it was as Firefox in Recycle bin. I deleted it and from the start menu sent a shortcut for IE on desktop and it works well now.

Thank you.
mak_20789

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby turtledove » May 30th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Hello mak_20789,

*Copy/Print instructions for reference*

Thanks for the information. The tool you ran, Fix policies, statement means that if any virus or other infections disable BITS, System Restore, Windows updates, the tool will enable them again.
Lets get one more scan along with trying to update Adobe Reader 9.0 to 9.1.1, which fixes security issues/vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader.

First
Download and Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to:
  • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply.
  • If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Second
Update Adobe Reader to 9.1.1

Recently there have been vulnerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version.

You can download it from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    After installing the latest Adobe Reader, uninstall all previous versions.
    If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

If you don't like Adobe Reader (33.5 MB), you can download Foxit PDF Reader(3.5MB) from here. It's a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.

Note: When installing FoxitReader, be carefull not to install anything to do with AskBar.

New HijackThis log
If Adobe update worked

Thank you

TD
turtledove
Retired Graduate

Unread postby turtledove » June 3rd, 2009, 11:33 am

Hello mak_20789,

How are things going? Do you still need assistance or have any questions?
Let me know please.

Thank you

TD
turtledove
Retired Graduate

Unread postby askey127 » June 6th, 2009, 7:55 am

Due to Lack of Response this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous