Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Can't update anti-virus software, access iTunes

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Can't update anti-virus software, access iTunes

Unread postby cheetahmeow » May 26th, 2009, 2:15 am

Hi there - I seem to be missing a step. I went to Start - Run and entered notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
An empty notepad file opens. I wasn't sure what to do so I renamed the notepad file. This obviously wasn't right. I then "clicked on Restore ms Hosts file" and received the same error message.

Thanks for your help!
Sara
cheetahmeow

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby peku006 » May 26th, 2009, 2:31 am

Hi Sara

Download and Install a HOSTS File

A Hosts file is a plain text file which prevents your computer from inadvertently connecting to malware, spyware and adware sites by redirecting the connection request back to your own machine address (127.0.0.1). It is a very effective defense system. If you are part fo a business network, if you are on AOL, or if you use Norton to scan e-mail, be sure to read the special instructions in the tutorial below..

Be sure to disable the service DNS Client FIRST to allow the use of large HOSTS files without slowdowns.
If this isn't done first, the next reboot may take a VERY LONG TIME. This is how to do it. First be sure you are signed in as a user with administrative privileges:

Stop and Disable the DNS Client Service

• Go to Start, Run and type Services.msc and click OK.
  • Under the Extended Tab, Scroll down and find this service. DNS Client
  • Right-Click on the DNS Client Service.
  • Choose Properties
  • Select the General tab.
  • Click on the Stop button.
  • Click the Arrow-down tab on the right-hand side at the Start-up Type box.
  • From the drop-down menu, click on Manual
  • Click the Apply tab, then click OK

Download BlueTack's HOSTS Manager here, using Internet Explorer:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=dscript&CODE=showdetails&f_id=5
A short distance down the page in the center, click on the Download button. Agree to the license. On the next page, to the right side of where it says Download Estimates, right click on the underlined word Hosts Manager choose Save Target As and download the installer Hosts20setup.exe to your desktop. Double click the Installer on your desktop and let it Install the Hosts Manager

After the installation is complete, click on the Hosts Manager icon on your desktop. (You can delete the Hosts Switch icon). When the manager comes up, got to the left pane, click Download. It will load 80,000 lines or more. When it finishes, also in the left pane, click Replace, and then Save. You can use this manager to handle your HOSTS file download, edits, and most any other HOSTS issue.

Note:If you have a firewall, you may have to give permissions at various times to Unlock the present default HOSTS file and install the new one.

Thanks peku006
peku006
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby cheetahmeow » May 30th, 2009, 11:10 am

Hi again- I'm trying to do this without much success.
First, your note says to use IE to open the BISS site. One of the problems I'm having is that IE does not work. I get an error page saying there's no IE connection. Firefox works fine. Secondly, I cannot find the download for Hosts Manager. Does it go by another name such as HostsExpert or Blocklist manager?
When I click on the link you sent http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index. ... ils&f_id=5 it sends me to a page that has information but no downloads. It seems like I keep going around in circles on the site. I downloaded HostsExpert and Blocklist manager but I'm not sure that was the right thing.
Thanks-Sara
cheetahmeow

Unread postby NonSuch » May 30th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Sara,

Your helper, peku006, will be unavailable for a while due to personal issues. However, I see that he has evidently eliminated malware as the likely cause for your computer problems.

I do not know if you were using your netbook's power adapter at the time of the power failure, or if you were running it strictly on battery power. If you were using the plug-in power adapter, then it's quite possible that damage was sustained during the power outage and subsequent power return. If you were running your netbook on battery power alone, then this is of course very unlikely. However, it is possible that in your attempts to find a solution, settings have been changed and functions altered. It is also possible that the only viable remedy to return your system to its original working order will be to reinstall the operating system.

As this site's focus is malware removal, your best bet is a site that has a tech troubleshooting forum, such as WhatTheTech, and I would suggest that you open a topic for your computer's problems at that site: http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html

As this issue does not appear to involve malware and therefore falls outside the scope of this forum, this topic is now closed.

You can help support this site from this link :
Donations For Malware Removal
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous