Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Recommendations for AV and Anti-Spyware Apps?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Recommendations for AV and Anti-Spyware Apps?

Unread postby casperpsu » March 16th, 2009, 10:52 am

Howdy all,

I think this is the best forum for my question, if not, my apologies in advance.

I was recently infected and am on the way to recovery, due largely to the efforts of the MRU Undergrad Bv202 (Bjorn). I am very happy to have found this site and am pleased to find people willing to help combat the nastiness of the WWW.

Anyway, I am unhappy with the McAfee provided at no cost to me by my ISP, and would like to either buy or get great free AV and Anti-Spyware apps, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts;

What apps would you recommend? What do you use? Free or Buy?

I am a fairly advanced user and like to be able to tweak, use settings, etc. The McAfee version I was using didnt keep me from getting infected (yes, it was updated) and was a royal pain to use, as it seemes to be designed for non-PC savvy people where many settings, logs, and advanced features are arduous to find and use.

I have seen the new free AVG and it seemed good, but before I get a new set of programs, I would like to get some advice from you exprts first! Thanks!!!

Many thanks to you all for your services!!!
casperpsu

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Recommendations for AV and Anti-Spyware Apps?

Unread postby ChrisRLG » March 16th, 2009, 11:27 am

You will get lots of different ideas about thois - almost as many as people able to post.

As far as AV is concerned - they are all much the same now.

Kaspersky is known to be one of the better paid version of AV, lots like Avast for a free one.

I use AVG8 (paid version) but the free version is almost the same (less control of updates etc).

For Anti-malware - AVG8 has one included but MBAM is very good and in the paid version has a resident scanner. Winpatrol is also a good Anti-Malware monitoring system with the added advantage it does not need to be updated. It too has a paid version as well as a free one.

All of them are available from adverts listed on this domain.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Recommendations for AV and Anti-Spyware Apps?

Unread postby Bio-Hazard » March 16th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Hello!

What i have used in the past and found very good are:

Paid Antivirus

• Avira premium
  • NOD32
  • Kaspersky

Free Antivirus

• Avira Free
  • avast!
  • Avg 8 (havent used this one myself)

For Antispyware program it is either Malwarebytes Antimalware or Superantispyware paid ones have the realtime protection. The free ones are only scanners which i have for on demand only.

You also need a good firewall like Comodo or Online-Armor both also have a HIPS in them which will give extra security.

Also you should think about using a alternative browser like Firefox or Opera if you are not already using one of them.

I would also add Spywareblaster, which doesnt run in realtime but will block access to malicious sites that are on its database.
Bio-Hazard
MRU Master Emeritus

Return to General Discussions