Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Please Help

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Please Help

Unread postby Bv202 » March 8th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Hi wap4

I'm glad to hear things are running much better :)

I searched for the file and found it in a quarantine folder. I deleted it without hesitating which i realized ten minutes later might not have been the best thing to do. I hope i didn't screw anything up. What happens now?

No problem, we're now going to delete all other backups (quarantine folder) :)

Remove add/remove entry
  • Open HijackThis.
  • Look under Misc Tools.
  • Click on the Open Uninstall Manager... button.
  • In the program list, click Search Assistant - My Search.
  • Click on Delete this entry.
  • Close HijackThis

Now, please continue with fixing the HijackThis line with the instructions in my previous post. You can also fix this line:
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - (no file)
It's a leftover :)

REMOVE VIEWPOINT
You have Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player installed on your system. These programs are not malware but are considered as foistware instead of malware since they are installed without user's approval, and for this reason I recommend you remove them.

To uninstall the the Viewpoint components (Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player):
  • Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  • In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  • In Add or Remove Programs, highlight Viewpoint Media Player, click Remove.
  • Do the same for each Viewpoint component.

Time for some housekeeping
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK
The above procedure will uninstall ComboFix. It will reset your System Restore and clear out the backups and quarantines created during the course of this fix.

Congratulations, your machine appears to be clean! :)
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
F-secure Health Check

Make sure you enable Automatic Updates for your computer. You can set this in the control panel -> windows update.
An alternative way is to visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
Note: I see you are running SP2. It's recommended to update to SP3 if you have the time and resources for it. A service pack contains lot of security fixes and general updates.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Download it from here. Click "Download" and you'll get redirected to download.com, where you can download the product. You can also buy this program, which gives you real-time protection against common malware. However, you can use the free program to scan and remove any infections found.

Install SpyWare Blaster 4.0
Download it from here
Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster here

Install WinPatrol
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here

Install FireTrust SiteHound
You can find information and download it from here

Install MVPS Hosts File from here
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
Find Tutorial here : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

FIREWALL
I can't see any firewall in your HijackThis log, so i assume you use windows firewall.
Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. If you use the Windows Firewall you might think that's sufficient but it only controls one way of the traffic (inbound). Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
It's preferable to install one of the suggested firewalls.

FREE FIREWALLS
  • Comodo
    When installing, it will ask you to install Anti-Virus functionality. Please uncheck "install comodo antivirus (recommended)" unless you've uninstalled you're AV. NEVER have 2 or more Anti-Virus programs on your computer; it will cause performance loss and/or other problems.
  • Online Armor
  • Sunbelt Kerio

Tutorial about Firewalls can be found here

Read some information here how to prevent Malware.

Is your pc running slow?
Read What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Happy safe surfing!

Please reply once more to this thread so we know it can be closed. If you have any questions left, it's now the time to ask! :)
Bv202

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby wap4 » March 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm

you're a technological messiah Bjorn.

one final loose end, maybe.

i uninstalled viewpoint media player but there was no viewpoint, or viewpoint manager listed to uninstall. (its not in HJT's uninstall list either)

does this matter?

but other than that,

THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!
wap4

Unread postby Bv202 » March 12th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Hi wap4

I'm glad we have been some help here :)

i uninstalled viewpoint media player but there was no viewpoint, or viewpoint manager listed to uninstall. (its not in HJT's uninstall list either)

does this matter?

Yes, this is normal. It should be uninstalled right now :)

Let me know if we can archive this thread :)
Bv202

Unread postby wap4 » March 12th, 2009, 6:00 pm

yeah, you can archive it

again:

thank you
wap4

Unread postby Shaba » March 13th, 2009, 1:05 pm

wap4 this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!