Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Windowsclick malware infection

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Windowsclick malware infection

Unread postby rckimmo » March 1st, 2009, 6:30 pm

I'm a little confused, so I thought I'd better double-check before I do anything.

When I click one of the ComboFix links, a dialog box pops up. It gives me the option to run or save. I assume this is where I click "save" and save it to my PC computer, right? Can I save it to the Shared Files (network) or a thumb drive, or do I have to save it to the PC's desktop?

I rename the file as Combo-Fix (not Combo-Fix.exe), right? If so, will it automatically be saved as an .exe file?

Let me see if I have the steps correct.

1. Once the Combo-Fix file is saved to the desktop of my PC, I should double-click and follow the prompts. I assume you mean I'm doing this on the PC.
2. It will produce a report, which I should post along with another HijackThis log.
3. Then I transfer "it" to the infected laptop. What is "it"?

OR are you saying I should transfer the Combo-Fix file to the laptop first?

I'm sorry for being so dense, Dan. I just don't want to mess anything up.

-Kim
rckimmo

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby dan12 » March 1st, 2009, 6:53 pm

Your not dense your just being cautious and that is expected. I would rather you mail me before going blindly on.

Ok, Have you removed combofix off the infected laptop which you earlier transferred for me?
if not do so with the command I gave you in my last post.

From your desktop the good pc! I want you to download the new combo-fix which will be renamed. I don't want you to scan the good pc. All you have to do is pop it on the usb stick as you did before but unlike before we have renamed this.

Do the same for malwarebytes, this is still on the good desktop. In this case we are going to rename the malwarebytes folder as I shown again in my last post.

So we now have the two programs we need on our usb stick. :)
Come away from the desktop.
Transfer the programs on to the infected laptop and as I mentioned leave the usb stick connected whilst scans run.

Run malwarebytes first and save a log. ( fix selected items!! )
Now run combo-fix.exe and post the reports

Hope that's a little clearer.
I'm here for a little while.
dan
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby rckimmo » March 1st, 2009, 9:32 pm

OK, Dan, what on earth am I doing wrong? Here's what I have done so far:

1. I downloaded Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to my good PC desktop.
2. Then I copied it to my USB stick and put it in the laptop.
3. Next, I created a shortcut on my laptop's desktop and downloaded the software from there (again, onto my laptop's desktop). It installed as a new program.

I cannot get it to run. I've tried double-clicking. I've tried "Open > Run As." I tried opening it from Program Files. No matter what I do, the hourglass appears for a few seconds and goes away, but nothing happens.

I just uninstalled it from the laptop, awaiting further help from you. Is there something else I should be doing that I'm missing?

Kim
rckimmo

Unread postby dan12 » March 2nd, 2009, 4:02 am

1. I downloaded Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to my good PC desktop.

Good :) You need to install it to the good pc and in the install process rename it, or rename the folder once on the desktop or where your download default is?

2. Then I copied it to my USB stick and put it in the laptop.

Good, Don't copy the installer.You need to download and install the program on to the good pc first! but install it to the desktop or it's default location.

Place the renamed mbam1 onto your stick, transfer it to the infected pc. Place the folder on the desktop.
When the transfer is done from your stick to the bad laptop, you should have on the desktop, the newly named mbam1 folder and the combo-fix.exe

3. Next, I created a shortcut on my laptop's desktop and downloaded the software from there (again, onto my laptop's desktop). It installed as a new program.

You downloaded it once already on your good pc. All you need to do is transfer the folder from good pc to bad and place it on the desktop laptop.

I don't mind how many times you mail me back if your not sure, I would prefer you to :)

dan
dan12
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » March 7th, 2009, 5:31 am

Due to a lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous