Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

64-bit problem

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

64-bit problem

Unread postby Axephilic » January 23rd, 2009, 1:51 pm

Is there any way to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a 32-bit version of Vista as the host operating system using VPC 2007?

It keeps telling me my processor is not compatible with 64-bit, but I know it is. I'm assuming it's something to do with my host OS being 32-bit.

Thanks,
Adam
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: 64-bit problem

Unread postby silver » January 24th, 2009, 9:23 pm

It keeps telling me my processor is not compatible with 64-bit, but I know it is. I'm assuming it's something to do with my host OS being 32-bit.
This message may be to do with the virtualized CPU not being 64-bit compatible, and not to do with your real CPU. Have you checked that VPC can handle 64-bit guest OS's? I think that it only runs 32-bit OSs but I'm not 100% sure.
silver

Unread postby Axephilic » January 25th, 2009, 1:14 am

Thanks silver. I did some further research and found out that VPC doesn't support 64-bit for guest. VMWare however does. :) So I'm installing right now.
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby ChrisRLG » January 25th, 2009, 5:05 pm

regardless of if VPC can run a 64 bit version or not - as far as the host operating system is concerned it is 32 bit (even if you could have run a 32 bit it is not doing so), so would not, I think, be able to host in VPC any 64 bit op systems.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Axephilic » January 25th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Ok, I decieded against it anyways since when I went to download VMWare Server they wanted my address and I'm just not willing to give that info to a company that I don't trust, such as them. I know they are legit but they don't need that anyways. I'll just have to burn it to a dvd and shrink my partition and make a different one for it and dual boot. :)

Thanks both of you.
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Marshian » April 25th, 2010, 3:04 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:regardless of if VPC can run a 64 bit version or not - as far as the host operating system is concerned it is 32 bit (even if you could have run a 32 bit it is not doing so), so would not, I think, be able to host in VPC any 64 bit op systems.

Actually, it is possible, if your CPU has hardware visualisation. Most users won't have that though, it's more a company feature.
Marshian

Unread postby solinus » December 1st, 2010, 2:07 pm

Host system really does not matter. The underlying architecture is what counts. Some systems need you to actually go into the bios to enable Virtualization Technology before you can install a 64bit guest. I run VMWare server on an IBM Thinkpad and the host is 64 bit Windows 7. I needed to configure the BIOS so that I could install a Server 2008 R2 guest.
solinus

Advertisement
Register to Remove