Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

funbangladesh

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby ommi » December 8th, 2005, 9:37 am

Re the second request I got this:Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>DIR HOSTS /s
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is C84A-1FEE

Directory of C:\WINDOWS

28/10/2005 19:59 734 hosts
1 File(s) 734 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

19/11/2005 17:19 734 hosts
1 File(s) 734 bytes

Total Files Listed:
2 File(s) 1,468 bytes
0 Dir(s) 15,688,187,904 bytes free

C:\>

Anything wrong? I wonder. (I am imagining myself running along a dark tunnel heh heh!)
ommi

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby VopThis » December 8th, 2005, 12:54 pm

C:\>PING acestats.com

Pinging acestats.com [213.228.214.65] with 32 bytes of data:

You can get by without a HOSTS file but the above proves that without it there are thousands of blockable websites (made inaccessable as IP address 127.0.0.1) that remain unblocked.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You need to load that file in NOTEPAD and append the MVPS text file contents. Check to see if the file is currently write protected. Right click on the file > properties and change its attributes as necessary.
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 9th, 2005, 9:17 am

You need to load that file in NOTEPAD and append the MVPS text file contents. Check to see if the file is currently write protected. Right click on the file > properties and change its attributes as necessary.

I have loaded MVPS in notepad AND appended my entry to it. But there I'm stuck cos the HOSTS file won't let me do anything to it! I've checked for the file write protection - there is none.

So why can't I upload anything to it?
ommi

Unread postby VopThis » December 9th, 2005, 10:19 am

So why can't I upload anything to it?

Something is protecting the HOSTS file from being modified but I am not able to see what that might be. Spybot, for example, can lock the HOSTS file from being 'hijacked'.

Have you tried in SAFE MODE. First end any process related to your antivirus, googletoolbar, or other scanning and security-based tools.
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 11th, 2005, 10:37 am

Still no success!!

I was surfing thru' the various sites related to this HOSTS file and in some place I came across "download and save it (HOSTS) to a proper locaton on your machine". What does mean?

Re running in safe mode I was stuck there too! I could not find the file or anything from there except the usual progs.
ommi

Unread postby VopThis » December 11th, 2005, 11:06 am

"download and save it (HOSTS) to a proper location on your machine". What does mean?

If you run HJT, it will show you the proper location and/or the current contents of your hosts FILE (which you have already been doing). It is generally:

Your problem is likely either a simple (missing) step or communication problem which I am unable to discern given what you describe or something has blocked your HOSTS file. You may need to get someone local to visually inspect what is going on.
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 12th, 2005, 3:51 pm

OK I'll try to do what you suggest. In the meantime I continue trying.

Ran HJT but it didn't find the HOSTS file.

In 'search' for files etc Win found a 1Kb file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. But it couldn't be it as the one I have on desktop is a 358Kb.
ommi

Unread postby VopThis » December 12th, 2005, 4:08 pm

In 'search' for files etc Win found a 1Kb file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. But it couldn't be it as the one I have on desktop is a 358Kb.

You need to load the 1K file into NOTEPAD (which HJT should be finding or create a brand new one, if prompted) and add the RELEVANT copied contents from the 385K file into the 1K file and save that file:

#start of lines added by WinHelp2002
# [Misc A - Z]
127.0.0.1 phpadsnew.abac.com
127.0.0.1 a.abnad.net
127.0.0.1 e.abnad.net
127.0.0.1 http://www.accoona.com #[Adware-Accoona][Adware.Atoolb][Panda.Accoona]
#end of lines added by WinHelp2002
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 14th, 2005, 9:50 am

"Searched" for the HOSTS folder and found the 1KB. But it could not be opened (windows said) and when prompted to search the web to open it nothing happened. Then I just dragged the HOSTS.txt file from the desktop onto the previous folder (the one that could not be opended.

Now what else? Or nothing more?? :lol:
ommi

Unread postby VopThis » December 14th, 2005, 12:02 pm

"Searched" for the HOSTS folder and found the 1KB. But it could not be opened (windows said)

You continue to tell me that you cannot open the 1K file in NOTEPAD. I do not know what to further tell you. You need someone to physically look at your PC and determine what needs to be done - and show you how.
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 15th, 2005, 9:52 am

True that the 1Kb HOSTS file in my PC could not be opened :cry: but I manged to load the MS TCP/IP (HOSTS) file into the folder where the 1KB is. Does this help or anything?
ommi

Unread postby VopThis » December 15th, 2005, 10:13 am

Your PC will look for the hosts file here or where HijackThis says the HOSTS file is located:

My HijackThis 'Hosts file manager' tells me that my HOSTS file is located at:

C:\Windows\hosts (9118 lines) - WIN98 (test PC)

I can PING anyone of those listed line domain names and have it return 127.0.0.1 instead of the actual IP address for that domain. That verifies a working HOSTS file and essentially blocks access to all those rogue domains such as:

acestats.com (which I previously asked you to test for)

I can't see what it is you are doing wrong, if anything, or how we may be miscommunicating with each other. You appear to need onsite assistance or access to a local resource person to resolve this issue.
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 16th, 2005, 9:21 am

Hi,

Can I load the HOSTS file in C:\WINDOWS myself? Then I test the PING command as you say?

If in the affermative how do I do the PING stuff?
ommi

Unread postby VopThis » December 16th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Can I load the HOSTS file in C:\WINDOWS myself? Then I test the PING command as you say?

You tell me that there is an existing HOSTS file that you cannot add content to. Can you delete it (unlikely)? Will HijackThis then offer to create a new one for you (misc tools section)? Can your add the MVPS text contents thereto?

See this link for more info on the HOSTS file:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

how do I do the PING stuff?

See my post to you (in this thread) dated Dec 7/2005 at 11:08 for details.
VopThis

Unread postby ommi » December 16th, 2005, 3:20 pm

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping acestats.com

Pinging acestats.com [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>
ommi

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!