Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Why does my hard disc keep churning away?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Why does my hard disc keep churning away?

Unread postby bigmacinspain » December 16th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Thanks for all your help, Bob, but my system is still mis-behaving; the hard disk constant accessing is back - maybe if I leave the pc on for an hour or two it will slow down? - and when I was implementing the System Restore change you advocated, the pc 'hung' and I had to manually re-boot. Now it comes up with an error message on booting up:

INVALID BOOT.INI FILE
BOOTING FROM C\WINDOWS\

It boots up very quickly, but once logged on is very slow, again because my hard disc is continually being accessed. Even though I defragmented the C:drive last night, it tells me today I have 92 fragmented files/directories and 1018 excess fragments, plus "MMC has detected an error in snap-in," whatever that might be!

How can I see what process is running that keeps accessing the HD? When I do a ctl_alt_del, fm3032.exe always catches my eye as it is constantly updating its memory usage, but I have no idea what it, or the majority of the other active processes are...

Any more help/suggestions gratefully received!

John.
bigmacinspain

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Bob4 » December 16th, 2008, 6:39 pm

It's time you get to another forum and have someone more qualified for this type of problem help you. I will say be sure you have everything important backed up.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Microsoft ... _f119.html
Good forum you should receive proper help there.

You can use this tool to see whats running so hard on your computer.

Download process explorer from here.

Unzip/extract the files to a folder on your desktop or some place convenient.
Click Procexp.exe to start the program
Accept the terms and run the program.
Note the CPU listing in the top.
Take note as to which process is using alot of CPU .
The system idle process should be high.
Just watch this for a while and get an Idea of whats running all the time.
Write down the name if the file exactly that's running so much and google it. If it's a program you don't need try uninstalling it. If you do need it try uninstalling it and reinstalling it or repairing it if that is an option in add/remove programs.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :cry:
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Gary R » December 19th, 2008, 2:47 pm