Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

applehebi problem

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: applehebi problem

Unread postby Shaba » November 24th, 2008, 5:09 am

Sorry to hear that.

"Once I've done that, will I need to continue with the process you're going through to remove the appplehebi trojan or will that have been removed by the recovery process? If the first, then it's going to have to wait until after 4th Dec as that's when the PC will be ready from PC World. How do I pick up with you after that?"

Yes you will need to run that online scan. If this thread has been archived, send me a PM and I will reply to your new thread.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Mark Dockings » November 24th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Sorry, what's a PM? And how do I send it to you?
Mark Dockings

Unread postby Shaba » November 24th, 2008, 1:50 pm

PM = private message.

Click this icon in my post or profile - Image
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Mark Dockings » November 25th, 2008, 3:06 am

OK. Thanks - that's great. I'll contact you again in a couple of weeks.
Mark Dockings

Unread postby Mark Dockings » December 1st, 2008, 6:54 pm

Hi there,

PC World were quicker than I thought and I've now re-built my PC and restored the memory.

I ran the online scan you asked for and the results are below along with another HiJack This Logfile. One thing you should be aware of is that I have Norton 360 on my machine and I don't know how to turn it off so I ran the scan with it still on. if you want me to run the scan with it off, please tell me how I do that.

Thanks,

Mark Dockings

Here is the Scan Report:

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Monday, December 1, 2008
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Monday, December 01, 2008 12:15:56
Records in database: 1429020
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
F:\
G:\
H:\
I:\
J:\
K:\
L:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 193760
Threat name: 4
Infected objects: 5
Suspicious objects: 79
Duration of the scan: 02:43:39

File name / Threat name / Threats count
C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DFF16927-88E6-4EAA-A097-460B7E65289B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Deleted Items.dbx Suspicious: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen 15
C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DFF16927-88E6-4EAA-A097-460B7E65289B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Deleted Items.dbx Infected: Trojan.JS.Agent.dv 1
C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DFF16927-88E6-4EAA-A097-460B7E65289B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Deleted Items.dbx Suspicious: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen 6
C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\Outlook Express Folders\Deleted Items.dbx Suspicious: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen 29
D:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\0D912B4C.tmp Infected: Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.u 1
D:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\239C284C.exe Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.cca 1
D:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\26225529.tmp Infected: Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.u 1
D:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\7F2010E6.tmp Infected: Trojan.Java.ClassLoader.u 1
K:\Dockings 26.11.08 AC\Mark\My Documents\Outlook Express Folders\Deleted Items.dbx Suspicious: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen 29

The selected area was scanned.

And here is the HiJack This Logfile:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 22:46:35, on 01/12/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AluSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\Drag to Disc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDStore.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/e ... efault.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.netvibes.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/e ... efault.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.6\coIEPlg.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\IDS\IPSBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.6\CoIEPlg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DMXLauncher] C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wltray.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\wltray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton 360\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\Drag to Disc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-974913784-3550766257-1086428389-1009\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'Alice')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-974913784-3550766257-1086428389-1009\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup (User 'Alice')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AluSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LuComServer_3_4.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Broadcom Wireless LAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

--
End of file - 8313 bytes
Mark Dockings

Unread postby Shaba » December 2nd, 2008, 9:11 am

Glad to hear that :)

Empty Deleted Items for Outlook express accounts.

Empty this folder:

D:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine

Delete this unless you need it (it contains infected mails):

K:\Dockings 26.11.08 AC\Mark\My Documents\Outlook Express Folders\Deleted Items.dbx

Empty Recycle Bin.

Still problems?
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Mark Dockings » December 2nd, 2008, 3:30 pm

Thanks. No problems now (but then, it's been fine since I rebuilt it to factory settings after it cam back from PC World).

Do I need to do anything else?

Mark
Mark Dockings

Unread postby Shaba » December 2nd, 2008, 3:44 pm

See below for final instructions :)

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Next we remove all used tools.

You can delete rsit and c:\rsit folder.

Please download OTCleanIt and save it to desktop.
  • Double-click OTCleanIt.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTCleanIt attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

• Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and re-enable system restore here:

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Re-enable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  • Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a new and powerful anti-malware tool. It is
    totally free but for real-time protection you will have to pay a small one-time fee. Tutorial on installing & using this product can be found below:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Setup Guide

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Scanning Guide

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!

The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Happy surfing and stay clean! :)
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Mark Dockings » December 2nd, 2008, 7:28 pm

That's great. Thanks for all your help.

Mark
Mark Dockings

Unread postby Shaba » December 3rd, 2008, 5:41 am

Mark Dockings this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous