Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Content Advisor plus others...

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Content Advisor plus others...

Unread postby whisperer » November 20th, 2005, 7:21 am

I have acquired an HP Brio which was badly contaminated. I achieved a fairly clean state and have taken all the usual precautions of Ad-Aware, Spybot, ieSpyad, AVG and ZoneAlarm. Followed by 2 online scans - the computer looked and behaved a lot better.

I then attempted to use Windows Update to get fixes and updates for Win98 and IE 5.5. Got onto the site etc but the download failed and since then I have been getting further into the mire.

IE froze and I attempted a repair but as you see this has now put me back to a 4.72 version.

Most importantly, I now have no internet connectivity with a message to the effect that 'it would appear that content advisor' has been tampered with - it certainly has as there is now a requirement for a Supervisor Password that was not there before (all connection attempts time-out) AND ZoneAlarm is no longer functioning with messages to the effect that Validation Failed for VSInit.dll and VSdata.dll

As a first step I have attached the HijackThis log as is, as I am now out of my depth! (not too difficult) :?

============================
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:52:54, on 20/11/2005
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v4.72 SP1 (4.72.3110.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\SPYWARE TOOLS\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\MSN TOOLBAR\01.02.3000.1001\EN-US\MSNTB.DLL
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\ST\01.03.0000.1005\EN-XU\STMAIN.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\MSN TOOLBAR\01.02.3000.1001\EN-US\MSNTB.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "c:\program files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.03.0000.1005\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
O11 - Options group: [TB] Toolbar
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O16 - DPF: {EE8B6D5F-FEF2-11D0-B13F-00A024798EF3} (Microsoft Search Settings Control) - http://lg.home.microsoft.com/search/lob ... ttings.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMe ... loader.cab
O16 - DPF: {7F8C8173-AD80-4807-AA75-5672F22B4582} (ICSScanner Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promot ... r37440.cab

:D
whisperer
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby LDTate » November 20th, 2005, 8:36 am

http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=16

I'd fix this one with HJT.
O11 - Options group: [TB] Toolbar

Another thing you can do with W98 is restore.

Boot to Command Prompt Only, using F8.

Go into DOS, and run scanreg /restore. (Note the Space) It will prompt you for your choice of registry to restore. Pick a date of a registry that used to work properly. Then you'll be prompted to reboot.
LDTate
WTT Teacher
WTT Teacher

Unread postby whisperer » November 20th, 2005, 1:06 pm

Thanks LD Tate

The Content Advisor element has been resolved, as has the O11 entry.

After a couple of failed attempts a retry on one of the failures resulted in a registry resore. As a result I can now get out on Firefox but not IE.

During BOOT I had a message that SENSAPI.DLL was missing, I have downloaded the DLL and placed it in System32, I now get the following message on BOOT
The SENSAPI.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:RtlInitAnsiString
There was no NTDLL in system32 but was in System, as a precaution I copied it to System32 to no effect.

The ZoneAlarm problem is unchanged I have attempted to remove using Add/Remove but the same 2 warnings appear and an attempt to overwrite was also prevented by the same messages. I have now removed ZoneAlarm from explorer and the registry but I am still unable to reinstall.

As there was nothing else showing in HJT I believe that this post no longer fits within the remit of MalwareRemoval and is now a basic computer/W98 problem. I would suggest that the thread is stopped.

Many thanks again for your help. :D but :(
whisperer
Retired Graduate

Unread postby LDTate » November 20th, 2005, 1:19 pm

LDTate
WTT Teacher
WTT Teacher

Unread postby NonSuch » November 30th, 2005, 8:07 pm

Glad we could be of assistance.