Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

:( Another SpyAxe v3.0 story of Woe...

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

:( Another SpyAxe v3.0 story of Woe...

Unread postby kopperdrake » November 17th, 2005, 3:26 pm

OK - running WinXP Pro, my PC tells me (by way of little round red cross icon in the bottom right-hand corner of my screen flashing every 5 seconds at me) that:

"Your Computer is infected!

Windows has detected spyware infection.

It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss.
Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware."

So I did, assuming this was one of Windows' automatic update thingies, and it installed SpyAxe v3.0.

I've run Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-Squared, Trojan Hunter, Ewido Security Suite as you recommend, and finally HijackThis.

I have found I can uninstall the application from the Control Panel, but it leaves this little blinking red cross in the bottom right-hand corner (is that the Sys Tray?). If I then unplug my PC from the internet and reboot, only the blinking light and annoying "Your Computer is Infected" text pop up happens. If I reboot and leave my computer hooked up to the internet then sure enough the SpyAxe itself gets reinstalled. It's as though this little red cross app is calling SpyAxe and telling it there's a system here that's ripe for reinfecting.

I'm behind a hardware firewall too (D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Modem/Router).

Here's my HijackThis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:11:41, on 17/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Server\WinNT\spnsrvnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\RetroExpress.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\JetToolBar\JetTB.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEAKSYSTEMTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrospect.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: HomepageBHO - {7288c0bd-7f2f-4229-a0c4-3c90a6e2a881} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp774E.tmp (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DrvLsnr] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RetroExpress] C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\RetroExpress.exe /h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXOBG] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: jetToolBar.lnk = C:\Program Files\JetToolBar\JetTB.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinManager.lnk = C:\Program Files\PC-TV\WinManager\WinManager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {CE3409C4-9E26-4F8E-83E4-778498F9E7B4} (PB_Uploader Class) - http://static.photobox.co.uk/sg/common/uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {FF3F0F03-0F01-131A-A3F9-08F02B23E0CC} - http://66.117.37.13/gba2218.exe
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Protection Server (SentinelProtectionServer) - SafeNet, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Server\WinNT\spnsrvnt.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

Please, any help would be so gratefully received - I'm tearing my hair out here and need this PC for my living :(

If you need any of the other log files from the other apps I ran please let me know.

Duncan
kopperdrake

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby kopperdrake » November 17th, 2005, 5:31 pm

Ok - it seems I've managed to get rid of this pain in the butt piece of spyware:

1. First I disconnected from the internet - that would stop the PC from redownloading a new version of SpyAxe after I'd uninstalled it.

2. Then I uninstalled, via the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, the SpyAxe application itself. Ordinarily with this step, at the end of the uninstall, your browser would get redirected to the SpyAxe website where it would seem to download another copy almost immediately. Of course, we've disconnected the web access.

3. This left the irritating little pop-up in the Task Bar (bottom-right of the desktop) still telling me to 'click here'

4. Then I ran pretty much Ad-Aware, A-Squared, AVG and Trojan Hunt - just to make sure I felt reasonably clean.

5. Then I went into C:/Windows/system32/ and looked for a file called 'svchosts.dll' - looks very much like the normal Windows file 'svchost.exe'. Some other website told me this was a normal trick, and sure enough, the creation date of this file was today - my first day of infection.

6. I tried to delete it but it said it was in use and couldn't delete it, so I figured that this annoying pop-up thing was something to do with it. But I *could* rename it - so I renamed it 'svchosts.txt' - figuring that Windows, on restarting, would be looking for a .dll file, and sure enough, after restarting Windows I could then delete it :D YIPEE!!! I also noticed that the annoying little red pop up cross never appeared after that restart.

Oh - I also downloaded those 2 files from SpyAxe's own website that various places tell you to download and then run. I did this straight *after* I uninstalled the SpyAxe application itself. Whether this made a difference I've no idea. Some people said they could delete that svchosts.dll file with no problem after running those 2 exe files from SpyAxe, but I found I couldn't, so I renamed the file and then it worked.

The 2 files were called:

illegal_adv_uninstaller1.exe
illegal_adv_uninstaller2.exe

and whilst I didn't really want to trust anything from a company who gave me this pile in the first place, I was getting pretty close to just reformatting everything so figured I had nothing to lose :( Worth trying the process without using them first I reckon - I just don't fancy reinfecting my system to find out ;) lol

Anyways - just to thank you guys for all your links to the various apps to combat spyware...roll on face to face meetings with the scum that produce this stuff in the first place!

Cheers,

Duncan

PS I can't say if anything has been left behind in the registry etc as I'm no PC expert. If anyone has any tips for me to find out if there are any legacy bits and bobs then please tell me :D My email is duncan@(removethisand thebrackets)kopperdrake.co.uk
kopperdrake

Unread postby NonSuch » November 18th, 2005, 4:20 am

Hello, :)

Although it appears that your problem has been resolved, I suggest that you scan with HijackThis and post a fresh log into this same thread so that we can check for remnants.

Unless you've managed to remove it, you also had a dialer that needed to be fixed with HijackThis...

O16 - DPF: {FF3F0F03-0F01-131A-A3F9-08F02B23E0CC} - http://66.117.37.13/gba2218.exe
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby kopperdrake » November 18th, 2005, 5:36 am

Thanks for the heads up - it's great you know what you're looking for!!

Here's the latest log from HijackThis:

Scan saved at 09:33:22, on 18/11/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Server\WinNT\spnsrvnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\PC-TV\WinManager\WinManager.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: HomepageBHO - {7288c0bd-7f2f-4229-a0c4-3c90a6e2a881} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp774E.tmp (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DrvLsnr] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\DrvLsnr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinManager.lnk = C:\Program Files\PC-TV\WinManager\WinManager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {CE3409C4-9E26-4F8E-83E4-778498F9E7B4} (PB_Uploader Class) - http://static.photobox.co.uk/sg/common/uploader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Protection Server (SentinelProtectionServer) - SafeNet, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Server\WinNT\spnsrvnt.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: StyleXPService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe

Thanks for replying so quickly :)

Dunk
kopperdrake

Unread postby NonSuch » November 18th, 2005, 6:44 am

You're welcome. :)

There is only one entry left over from the SpyAxe infection. We will try removing it with HijackThis and deleting the file. (If it still remains). If that is not successful, then we will run a different fix...

I suggest you print out the following instructions so you have them readily at hand...

• Please set your system to show all files; please see here if you're unsure how to do this.
  • Close all programs leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following, making sure you get them all and not any others by mistake:

Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

Just in case the file really isn't "missing"....

• Reboot into Safe Mode: please see here if you are not sure how to do this.
  • Using Windows Explorer, locate the following file and delete it if found:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp774E.tmp

Exit Explorer, and reboot as normal afterwards.
  • If you found the file but were unable to delete it, then please follow these additional instructions:

Download Pocket Killbox and unzip it; save it to your Desktop.

Run it, and click the radio button that says Delete a file on reboot. Paste the full file path into the full path of file to delete box and click the red circle with a white cross in it.

The program will ask you if you want to reboot, you should answer Yes.

Let the system reboot.
  • Scan with HijackThis and post a fresh log into this same thread.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby kopperdrake » November 18th, 2005, 7:51 am

Here you go :) It seemed to delete fine with HijackThis - nothing left over:

Scan saved at 11:48:09, on 18/11/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\PC-TV\WinManager\WinManager.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrospect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
O23 - Service: StyleXPService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe

Am I clean now?
kopperdrake

Unread postby NonSuch » November 18th, 2005, 8:10 am

Hello kopperdrake. :D

The following information is what I usually post in response to a clean log, which yours certainly seems to be now. Image

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

1. Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.
    You can find instructions on how to enable and re enable system restore here:
    Managing Windows Millennium System Restore
    or
    Windows XP System Restore Guide
    re-enable system restore with instructions from tutorial above
  2. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    2. Click once on the Security tab
    3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click once on the Custom Level button.

1. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      2. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      3. Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      4. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      5. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      6. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      7. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      8. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    5. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  3. Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone anti virus programs:
    Computer Safety On line - Anti-Virus
  4. Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  5. Use a Firewall - It is vitally important that you install and use a firewall on your computer. Without a firewall, your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For an article on firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
    Computer Safety On line - Software Firewalls
  6. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  7. Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
  8. Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software in conjunction with Spybot. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
  9. Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A article on anti-malware products with links for this program and others can be found here:
    Computer Safety on line - Anti-Malware
  10. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Good luck and safe surfing. :)
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby kopperdrake » November 18th, 2005, 10:02 am

Thanks again for everything :D I'll be visiting PayPal :D

You guys are stars!
kopperdrake

Unread postby NonSuch » November 18th, 2005, 3:27 pm

You're very welcome. I'm glad we were able to help. :D