Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

x-cleaner giving false positives?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

x-cleaner giving false positives?

Unread postby Perculator » April 4th, 2005, 10:10 am

cause i ran into it in a excersise log here i downloaded x-cleaner, when i run the clean utility i got a false positive (in my point of view)

i think those entries belong to shareaza and not to bearshare as x-cleaner told me what do you think of it?

and what about that little thing in the left botoom corner that wants to report it to a detection server is that helpfull for the enduser?

please can somebody clear this up?
Perculator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby 3162 » April 4th, 2005, 11:20 am

i think those entries belong to shareaza and not to bearshare as x-cleaner told me what do you think of it?

Why do you think that?
Doyou have shareaza onboard and not bearshare?

and what about that little thing in the left botoom corner that wants to report it to a detection server is that helpfull for the enduser?

Up to you if you want to send reports. I don't, because I would never be sure what other information might be transported.
However, for a legit app, I believe that it would be helpful to improve the product. Particularly so in the case of a proven f/p (although an email to support, showing all the pertinent details would likely be a much better solution)
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Perculator » April 4th, 2005, 11:49 am

3162 wrote:

Why do you think that?
Doyou have shareaza onboard and not bearshare?

Yes i have shareazxa and ofcourse not bearshare because bearshare brings adware

Up to you if you want to send reports. I don't, because I would never be sure what other information might be transported.
However, for a legit app, I believe that it would be helpful to improve the product. Particularly so in the case of a proven f/p (although an email to support, showing all the pertinent details would likely be a much better solution)

no i don't like programs to do that only in case i trust the owner like in spysweeper i allow this .

so basically were my two questions

do you think this is a false positive
and second
what do you think about this program and it's realibility in function and in giving them information on what's found on my computer.?
Last edited by Perculator on April 4th, 2005, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perculator

Unread postby 3162 » April 4th, 2005, 12:06 pm

do you think this is a false positive

Probably. I would go into registry myself, and look at the values associated with the keys found, then make my determination from there.
what do you think about this program and it's realibility in function and in giving them information on what's found on my computer.?

I haven't seen an app yet which didn't show a few f/p's here and there.
All told, x-cleaner has a decent enough rap sheet and more to the point it isn't on the Rogue list
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby ChrisRLG » April 4th, 2005, 12:11 pm

X-cleaner is from x-block.

They are linked to by SWI as an online Anti-Malware scanner - so they concider them one of the better tools and companies on the net.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Perculator » April 4th, 2005, 12:16 pm

i did go to the registry and saw shareaza and limewire keys, because i dont have limewirepro anymore i deleted the limewirte entry and left the shareaza key

i just consider it as a false positive because no spyware entered here in the last year because of my new configuration

and i didn't know the roguelist yet thank you for your information.
Perculator

Unread postby Perculator » April 4th, 2005, 12:18 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:X-cleaner is from x-block.

They are linked to by SWI as an online Anti-Malware scanner - so they concider them one of the better tools and companies on the net.

i hoped you would react on this topic because i found him in your log :-)
so it's good i was pretty sure about that but didn't expect to give a false positive in the two days i own it.
Perculator

Unread postby 3162 » April 4th, 2005, 12:21 pm

Just be careful in registry when looking for things to delete. Often, a search for (say) symantec will reveal legitimate entries, such as those found in the Windows Security Center keys.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby ChrisRLG » April 4th, 2005, 2:30 pm

As 3162 said - even good programs can give false positives.

That is one of the things we are trying to teaching you here. To not rely too much on tools. However good they will be they cannot go to the depth of reasoning that your human mind can.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Perculator » April 4th, 2005, 3:56 pm

ok i'll keep that in mind.
Perculator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions