Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Had trouble with GLB3C / GLB42

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Had trouble with GLB3C / GLB42

Unread postby AegisRose » October 4th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Greetings Techs!
Firstly, a short thanks for all you do! :compress:

I have a friend's PC that was having horrendous trouble with connecting to the internet. Whenever you clicked IE icon, a second "phantom" window would pop up and CPU usage would sky rocket to 100%.

After various scans with free AVG, installing COMODO, and running CCleaner, it was still having a bundle of trouble. Since we have the original software, and the "System Recovery Disks" from the vendor, we formated the PC.

It is running well; however, I noted that after the recovery, and updating Windows XP to SP3 and IE to v 7.0.5730.13 that Yahoo! toolbar suddenly appeared :confused1:
I tried deleting it from Add/Remove programs and COMODO alerted me that "GLB3C.tmp" was trying to access the internet. I blocked it. Out of curiosity, I tried deleting the Yahoo! folder directly from Program Files and sure enough... it said I did not have rights to do so. :? I ran HJT and removed the yahoo entries that it found. It allowed me to remove the application via add/remove programs and I additionally deleted the folder from Program Files.

SOOOO~~~ I'm posting my HJT findings after my adventures. I want to make sure no other "funk" is hiding on this machine!! THANK YOU!!!

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:30:56 PM, on 10/4/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/s ... wflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service (cmdAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe

--
End of file - 3550 bytes
AegisRose

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Had trouble with GLB3C / GLB42

Unread postby silver » October 6th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Hi AegisRose,

Have you installed CCleaner on this machine? I think that by default it installs Yahoo Toolbar along with itself so that may be where it came from.

I can't see any malware in your log, that doesn't guarantee your machine is clean but it's a good sign. If you have no other symptoms or concerns then from what you have said I would expect the machine is very likely to be clean. If however you are concerned or have other symptoms to report then we can have a closer look.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
silver

Unread postby AegisRose » October 9th, 2008, 11:20 am

Thanks for response Silver! :)

At this time, i have no other symptoms or anything wierd going on. Since I formatted / used recovery disk, I feel comfortable leaving "as is" for now. If I suddenly experience anything weird in the next week or so, I'll post again.

THANKS A TON FOR RESPONSE! :D
AR
AegisRose

Unread postby silver » October 9th, 2008, 10:14 pm

You're most welcome AegisRose and I'm glad things are OK at present.

Here are some tips to help you keep your computer clean:

Operating system vulnerabilities can easily be exploited by malware so please ensure your operating system is automatically kept up to date by using Windows Update:
Go to Start->Control Panel->Automatic Updates
Select Automatic and select a suitable schedule
Also, check that your antivirus and antispyware programs are set to automatically update daily and that your firewall is the latest version.

I recommend you install a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
Also: subscribe to the mailing list to get update notifications.

Please take care when downloading programs. One of the easiest ways to be infected is to download freeware/shareware programs which come laden with malware - this includes allowing websites to install browser plug-ins or ActiveX controls. Before downloading, it is crucial to check whether the source is reputable.
One way to check is to use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Copy the domain name into the space provided and SiteAdvisor will give you a report on the website which can help you decide if it is safe. They also have a toolbar for IE and Firefox which adds this functionality to your browser.

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.

Find out more about how to prevent infection in the future
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?p=33687

Please post back to let me know that you have read this, and if there are any further issues.
silver

Unread postby silver » October 12th, 2008, 10:35 pm