Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Windows Messenger.

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Windows Messenger.

Unread postby Deejay100six » September 11th, 2008, 10:12 am

Hi,

Didn't know where to post this as i don't think its malware related but just lately i have been getting very late and repeated email notifications of thread subscriptions and private messages, not just for this site but others too. The only major changes i've done recently was to install Windows Messenger and a spam blocker.

Anyone else had this problem?

Oh, and also i have had problems signing in to messenger, seemingly related to host file entries.

Maybe someone can spot a possible connection somewhere?
Deejay100six

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Windows Messenger.

Unread postby Emu » September 23rd, 2008, 11:32 am

Are the late and repeated emails in an app such as Outlook/Thunderbird or to the actual email address itself eg, hotmail/gmail/yahoo ?
Emu

Unread postby Deejay100six » September 23rd, 2008, 1:38 pm

Hi Emu,

Outlook Express, but the repeat problems seem to have gone away now. As for the notifications being late, i think that is probably related to traffic volume per site. :)
Deejay100six

Unread postby Emu » September 24th, 2008, 11:49 am

I use a email client called GMX and i have noticed that this is slow to retrieve emails from my other email accounts, yet if i logged into these accounts directly the mail would be sat there waiting. I have yet to look at the settings and maybe able to adjust how often it checks my other email accounts for new mails.

Some forums have a delay with sending out mails to members, also check you account settings with them to see if there set as immediate notification etc.

Just thought it may help you out in someway but if the problems resolved itself we'll leave it at that.

E-Mu
Emu

Unread postby Deejay100six » September 25th, 2008, 5:30 am

I'm very grateful to you for taking the time. :)

Good luck with your training.
Deejay100six

Unread postby Emu » September 28th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Deejay100six wrote:I'm very grateful to you for taking the time. :)

Good luck with your training.

And like-wise :)
Emu

Unread postby Angoid » October 9th, 2008, 8:06 am

Another cause for repeated emails is that the email client (OE) is not disconnecting from the server before it can delete the messages from the server.

If, for instance, your Internet connection drops out after all the emails have come in but before OE says "Completed", then the chances are it hasn't yet deleted the messages from the server. A second run of Send/Receive all will receive the same emails all over again.

Another one, more pertinent to repeated topic subscription notifications, is this:
Suppose you subscribe to a thread (here, you are automatically subscribed merely by replying).
The board software will send you one email to say the topic has been responded to .... if someone else replies before you come back to view the board, then it won't send another one.
But if you come on the board after a notification has been sent, but not checked your emails, then the board will 'think' you've read the thread in question. Should someone else then post into it, you'll receive a second email notifying you of a response.

Point to ponder: Check the date/time on the email saying when it has come in. If the date/times are different for a notification, then the chances are it's the second scenario. If the date/times are identical, then it's more likely to be the first.

Try also logging onto your emails via the the web portal, and seeing if there are multiple emails there as well. That may well help you confirm / deny the above.

Hope this helps!
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Unread postby ChrisRLG » October 9th, 2008, 8:38 am

Another mistake using OE/Outlook/email clients.

That of using rules with moving copies of emails around - and accidently creating a copy instead of moving it.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove