Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

video card experts?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

video card experts?

Unread postby muppy03 » September 19th, 2008, 8:57 am

1.galaxy geforce 9800gt 512mb - is sons new video card

2. asus geforce 8800gs 384 mb - is the one he replaced

Question: The 8800 worked fine but he wanted better and bought the galaxy. Anyway it works as such but when gaming the textures [go funny]. It can be corrected if he minimises the screen then maximises again, but it is happening a lot. Any ideas? as far as we know its installed correctly with all drivers updated. Could it be the card? or have we done something wrong?
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: video card experts?

Unread postby Black_Dragon » September 19th, 2008, 10:09 am

I think, it is happening to refresh the screen resolution.

For gaming the color schemes and textures are different and they have different refresh rates, and normal computer screen doesn't need this much resolution for normal usage.

The more the card memory, the faster the refresh rate so gameplay will be quite easy if they have higher memory.
That is the basic difference I know..

Now a days, the games are coming in high resolution and they need higher memory graphic cards to play.

I have 64 MB card in my desktop and 256MB on my laptop. So there are some games which I can play only on my laptop and those not on desktop.

If I upgrade my desktop card to somewat 256 or above, then I can play the games on my desktop too...
Black_Dragon

Unread postby Cyborg » September 19th, 2008, 10:17 am

Hi muppy, I'm not an expert, but this may work.

The games *may* be using OpenGL drivers instead of DirectX.
When you go to the graphics configuration within the games, you can change it to DirectX 3D (or D3D).

If that doesn't work, just reinstall the software, it should be able to do the trick.

I don't think it's a problem with compatibility because if the motherboard can handle 8600, it may well be able to handle 9800. I may be wrong here, just my 2 cents.
Cyborg

Unread postby muppy03 » September 19th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Thanks guys for your advice.

Cyborg drivers are good he knows about the different ones( I dont so excuse my terms) and we have re-installed the software. Compatability is good too.

Black Dragon, he had his old card on a 75 refresh rate? (again excuse my terms) but he had this new one on 65 or something. Before I read you message he had just changed it to te 75 so maybe that will do the trick. ( he hasnt played yet since the change as he has to mow the yard :D ) Ill let you know how he goes.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated :flower:
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby muppy03 » September 25th, 2008, 4:25 am

seemingly (hes slow on the telling) the problems are only in counter strike source. Had the card check out and it is ok, soooo maybe when he gets it back tomorrow the magic fairy will have fixed it.
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby BlackHawk54321 » October 10th, 2008, 1:14 am

Uninstall the Graphic Driver and reinstall latest driver from the manufacturer. That should do the trick if not. Reinstall CSS.
BlackHawk54321

Unread postby muppy03 » October 10th, 2008, 8:20 am

Been there and done all that Blackhawk. I would say fault with the card, Store where bought says otherwise mind you.
They say I must not be technical enough to install it properly. Funny how I was technical enough to build the computer and install another video card that works as it should. The battle goes on....and on.

They have offered me 50% of its price to take it back, I won't tell you my reply.....
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby DEFC0N » January 29th, 2009, 3:05 am

Well that happens a lot to be honest about the refresh rate. Standard is usually only 60, putting to 75 or 65 is pushing it a bit fast then again I'm not too sure but Galaxy isn't that great of a brand to get, if you build a pc base on the brand of the parts say, everything is ASUS then I would partially if not more than 70% guarantee hardward compatibility. I tend to build pcs with the same brand to avoid hardware conflicts since their from the same manufacturer.

No you don't have to be technical enough to install or learn how to assemble a pc at all. Just needs some tweaking and show-me-how tips and you'll definitely do well after that. Just mind the static though.

I think also the game does contribute a certain factor to it. Not all games are designed to run on a 75 Hz refresh rate, most are standard tuned to 60 or 65 and no higher. You probably only need the high rate if you have like a very vibrant colour scheme which changes very often with a lot of visuals and all that. NFS MW would be one game where the sunlight adds a lot of "goody" effect to the way you drive if the sun is in your eyes.
DEFC0N

Unread postby muppy03 » January 29th, 2009, 5:38 am

Hi defcon, I would say the problem was a dodgy card. He ended up buying another one different brand and it worked from the get go (still a 9800). The Galaxy was tried in a couple of his friends computers and did the same so I would say def faulty. The shop he bought it from denied this of course, so I wrote it off. Silly shop really they have lost a potential fortune from him (as he is always buying things) and he, me and everyone else I know will not visit this particular store ever again.
muppy03
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby DEFC0N » January 29th, 2009, 7:19 am

Probably so then. Gotta hand it to you for redundant testing. No matter how much you need to do it, theres always gotta be redundant testing in order to make sure its the hardware at fault.

I can't really say that I'm an expert at hardware issues, one case I handled after some consultation with another friend turns out that the graphics card was short circuited and waited to die. True enough the amount of dust on it after nearly 2 years of being kept in an enclosed and poorly ventilated zone in the room, it fromed a static bridge on the circuit board. After you clean it, it overloads and kills the card due to the removing its grounding static roads formed by the dust.

Then again getting faulty hardware is like striking the lottery. Heh.
DEFC0N

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions