Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

AntiVirus 2009 => Almost Cleared => Can't boot XP

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

AntiVirus 2009 => Almost Cleared => Can't boot XP

Unread postby SchreiberBike » August 21st, 2008, 2:28 pm

I'd love to post a HJT log, but I can't boot my computer. I have struggled with the AntiVirus 2009 malware and am stuck.

Right now, the boot up stops with the wallpaper showing and nothing else. Ctl-Alt-Del opens Task Manager and shows only 13 processes running. From Task Manager / Applications / New Task..., I can browse, but when opening exe files, they fail.

On my Dell, I have used the menu available after pressing F2 during startup and tried to change the boot disk to the cd-rom drive, but it reports that the drive is not responding. Using the menu available after pressing F12 during startup, I can change the boot order, making the cd-rom the only startup disk, but that has had the same effect. Browsing the drives from New Task in the task manager does show the cd-rom drive installed and does show files on a disk.

Using safe mode or last known good which are available after pressing F8 during startup has had no effect.

I can boot from a 3.5" floppy rescue disk, but the rescue disks I have found do not recognize my hard drive and when trying to use them to execute off of the cd-rom report ""This program must be run under Win32". (edit) I do have a 3.5" floppy rescue disk which the PC recognizes and starts to boot from, but when given the 2nd disk which it requests, it does not recognize it. I suspect it is damaged after years in a drawer.

My first priority then will be to copy my data from the internal hard drive to an external hard drive. I am hoping for a bootable 3.5" floppy disk which will allow me to work with the files on my hard drive and which will let me transfer the files to a USB drive. At that point, I can further investigate the virus and/or do a fresh install of XP.

I am grateful for your assistance and would be happy to clarify or answer any questions.

Thank you,
SchreiberBike

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: AntiVirus 2009 => Almost Cleared => Can't boot XP

Unread postby SchreiberBike » August 27th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Never mind.

I ended up taking the PC to my local repair guys. They were able to image the disk, copy the data files and reinstall the operating system. I will reinstall everything else myself.

Thank you.
SchreiberBike

Re: AntiVirus 2009 => Almost Cleared => Can't boot XP

Unread postby NonSuch » August 31st, 2008, 4:14 am

Thank you for returning to inform us of the outcome.

As this issue is resolved, this topic is now closed.

You can help support this site from this link :
Donations For Malware Removal
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator