Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Trojan affected McAfee & altered Internet Settings?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Trojan affected McAfee & altered Internet Settings?

Unread postby justWayne » August 10th, 2008, 12:59 am

Thank you very much for your help.

I think a trojan altered my internet settings somehow.

My modem freezes loaded web pages (or slow greatly)

I also cannot reload Mcafee antivirus. When I try to delete it Legacy registry entries I am denied. I have a valid subsrciption to McAfee and cannot instal no matter how many different ways I have tried.

Wayne
justWayne

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Trojan affected McAfee & altered Internet Settings?

Unread postby gringo_pr » August 21st, 2008, 12:39 am

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

Sorry about the delay in responding The forums have been very busy

My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. HijackThis logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that it happens.

Please do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
Please reply to this thread, do not start another!
Please tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
Please tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.
Please try as much as possible not to run anything while executing a fix.

If you follow these instructions, everything should go smoothly.

:install hijackthis:

• Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
  • Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.

Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required

:uninstall list:

Make an uninstall list using HijackThis
    To access the Uninstall Manager you would do the following:

1. Start HijackThis
    2. Click on the Config button
    3. Click on the Misc Tools button
    4. Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
    5. Click on the Save list... button and specify where you would like to save this file. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file. Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad here in your next reply.

:information and logs:

In your next post I need the following

1.log from hijackthis
      2.uninstall list

Gringo
gringo_pr
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Unread postby justWayne » August 21st, 2008, 4:00 am

Hi Gringo,

Thank you so much for your reply and offer of help.

I did (or thought I did) post a Hijack log with my initial post.

Since then I have gone into safe mode and was found out how to delete all references to McAfee, including legacy settings.

I was also able to identify and remove:
lophtcrack spyware/adware x21 instances;
gain-gaitor x3 instances;
grokster x1 instance;
and wareut x2 instances

McAfee help was useless.

I know use a combination of Paralogic spyware and registry tools;
and, Web root anntispyware along with

Microworlds escan antivirus (x30 days) and then will try ESET Node 32 antivirus for 30 days prior to deciding which to use.
I am pretty fed up with the like of McAfee, Norton, PC-Cillin et all. None seem to be very good.

I have not tried to install McAfee since. Do you think I should, maybe just to see if it will?

I will Include a Hijact this file below for your perusal.

I am not sure what your mean by uninstall list?

Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justWayne

Unread postby gringo_pr » August 21st, 2008, 10:53 pm

Hello

Important: Do not attach any log or other material except as specifically instructed to do so by a helper. Normally, contents of logs should be posted directly into the thread (topic).

Microworlds escan antivirus (x30 days) and then will try ESET Node 32 antivirus for 30 days prior to deciding which to use.
I am pretty fed up with the like of McAfee, Norton, PC-Cillin et all. None seem to be very good.

here are some free antivirus you might like to try

: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
    • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7.

• Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.

:Kaspersky scan:

Please go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

• Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
    • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
    • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
    • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
        Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
        Archives
        Mail databases
    • Click on My Computer under Scan.
    • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
    • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
    • Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.
    • Please post this log in your next reply.

1.log from MBAM
      2.log from Kaspersky
      3.new log from Hijackthis

Gringo
gringo_pr
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Unread postby justWayne » August 22nd, 2008, 5:59 am

Gringo,

In followed your instruction with the following exception: When restarting my computer as instructed by Malwarebytes my computer froze with a memory error.
I ended up turning off my computer manually and restarted it.
I uninstalled webroot spysweeper and everything seemed to work ok after that.

Here are the logs you requested:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1076
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

11:16:21 PM 8/21/2008
mbam-log-08-21-2008 (23-16-21).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 98008
Time elapsed: 42 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{a26503fe-b3b8-4910-a9dc-9cbd25c6b8d6} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\rundll16.exe (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vcmgcd32.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\logo1_.exe (Worm.Viking) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\systems.txt (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

The Kaspersky scan was absolutely negative (blank scan results).

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:39:15 AM, on 8/22/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\VISTA\avpmapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\TRAYSSER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroWorld\Agent\MWASER.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\consctl.exe
C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\SyncServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroWorld\Agent\MWAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\retrorun.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\iP6310D\PDUiP6310DMon.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\TRAYICOS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\MAILDISP.EXE
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ESCAN\SPOOLER.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\Vista\eScanMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://safesearch.cyberdefender.com/smallsearch.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.crawler.com/search/ie.aspx?tb_id=60049
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Toolbar Helper - {D44BBB61-E17F-4AE6-A502-8D7E0B29E616} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\s1940.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] "C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] "C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDUiP6310DMon] "C:\Program Files\Canon\Memory Card Utility\iP6310D\PDUiP6310DMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] "C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe" /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eScan Updater] "C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\TRAYICOS.EXE" /App
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MailScan Dispatcher] "C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\LAUNCH.EXE" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FreeRAM XP] "C:\Program Files\YourWare Solutions\FreeRAM XP Pro\FreeRAM XP Pro.exe" -win
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: DataViz Messenger.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &WordWeb... - res://C:\WINDOWS\wweb32.dll/lookup.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe
O23 - Service: eScan Monitor Service - MicroWorld Technologies Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\VISTA\avpmapp.exe
O23 - Service: eScan Server-Updater (eScan-trayicos) - MicroWorld Technologies Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\eScan\TRAYSSER.EXE
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: IomegaAccess - Iomega Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IomegaAccess.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MWAgent - MicroWorld Technologies Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroWorld\Agent\MWASER.EXE
O23 - Service: MaxSyncService (NTService1) - - C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\SyncServices.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Helper (RetroExp Helper) - EMC Dantz - C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\rthlpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - EMC Dantz - C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
O23 - Service: ZipToA - Iomega Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZipToA.exe

--
End of file - 9495 bytes

Seems I do not have any virus problems, just Mal ware, spy ware.

When this is over would you recommend mal ware specific programs, maybe a root kit tool. I would like to run an antivirus and spyware program together.

While waiting for your reply I am going to upgrade to IE7, Firefox 3 and MS defender.

Thank you for your help.

Wayne
justWayne

Unread postby gringo_pr » August 22nd, 2008, 7:27 pm

Hello justWayne

Because of the problem with the reboot and Malwarebytes I would like you to rescan with Malwarebytes to make sure the files it found the first time indeed has been removed and send me the log it produces.and if you saved the scan from kaspersky I would like to see that to.

When this is over would you recommend mal ware specific programs, maybe a root kit tool. I would like to run an antivirus and spyware program together.

I use avira antivirus and winpatrol as real time protection against spyware and viruses and as a stand alone scanner I use malwarebytes, they are all free for home use and lite on resources

1.new log from malwarebyts
      2.log from kaspersky if you have it

Gringo
gringo_pr
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Unread postby justWayne » August 23rd, 2008, 1:03 am

Gringo,

I updated and reran Malwarebytes with the following log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1078
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9:45:49 PM 8/22/2008
mbam-log-08-22-2008 (21-45-49).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 103798
Time elapsed: 40 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

When I ran Kaspersky there was no log, as nothing was found.

I than ran my scanner "escan" by microworld with the following results:

Object "gain.gator Spyware/Adware" found in File System! Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Object "gain.gator Spyware/Adware" found in File System! Action Taken: Entries Removed.

Object "pcprivacycleaner Corrupted Adware/Spyware" found in File System! Action Taken: Entries Removed.

Entry "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" refers to invalid object ".bak". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" refers to invalid object ".DBL". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" refers to invalid object ".DS_Store". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" refers to invalid object ".src". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" refers to invalid object ".Trashes". Action Taken: Entries Removed.

Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{125F0ACC-D3FC-402B-8D96-27F6E46D00D5}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{2666C3E8-E73E-4111-A278-A1BB67C1EBFE}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{2B8B897C-F449-4BC5-BFC4-D4D6D23B4AC6}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{2DBE41DD-2129-4C65-A3D3-5647236A60F3}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{375F080F-88E9-4EA1-A177-C0F091546AC8}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{43E225E9-5CA2-40F8-9DBD-DF8DC01EEB26}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{45D68F08-56A0-4412-BB0F-8492BE978AC7}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{558CD0A7-0548-4220-88FE-01CC1477DF61}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{5AC9F44E-06C7-41E3-A464-37177AB9105D}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{732F6DB0-4290-479D-A22C-12B69508B522}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{78D944D7-A97B-4004-AB0A-B5AD06839940}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{7C3E3706-8FBD-4169-9726-0A47FBF9D32A}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{901C63FD-6673-47A6-9B5F-B13E3EBFA470}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{9DED6C36-86DB-421F-8D11-76A93ECBFEDE}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{9F88E3E3-3CC0-4465-A7C0-B9CC50B27817}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{A3013534-E1F1-490A-852E-61CB5A2EF4B9}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{C3CE4CED-46B0-407E-A703-7A83AAE02A36}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{C6F1E87D-F3E1-4874-97EC-F87DAB6D6878}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{D80D6ACB-FAFA-4DAA-9CE4-3AF04013C693}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{DBE84DB2-1794-4244-9859-9B720CA89B4D}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{DC1D9193-DDFC-4108-9163-708FB7D6BDA7}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{EAB05CD3-B27E-4867-A4D4-2B56F8666C35}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.
Entry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache" refers to invalid object "{F68E3631-68ED-4970-8D77-B81FE83AA6A1}". Action Taken: Entries Removed.

I don't know why gain/gator keeps showing up?

Should I run a firewall like zonealarm, as well as a antivirus, and a malware program all at the same time?

Am at a loss as to how to keep my system clean.................sigh!

Wayne
justWayne

Unread postby gringo_pr » August 23rd, 2008, 2:23 am

Hello justwayne

I don't know why gain/gator keeps showing up?

it is only finding traces to it in the registry and windows defender is probably preventing the changes,
when you run a scan like that disable your other protective programs so they don't interfear.

Should I run a firewall like zonealarm, as well as a antivirus, and a malware program all at the same time?

If you are on a dialup connection then yes run a firewall program but if you are behind a router as in dsl or cable connection then windows firewall will be fine

as for the rest of that question yes one firewall and one antivirus and one spyware program is fine

Am at a loss as to how to keep my system clean.................sigh!

you are doing a good job the only thing the scans have found so far has been some orphand files and some traces in the registry, there was nothing active at the times of your scans so that is good

and at that note I am going to give you the all clean speech

This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware ;)- Please let me know if you still are having problems with your computer and what these problems are

:Set correct settings for files:
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please check Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

:clear system restore points:
    This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
    • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
    • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
    • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
    • Select the More options tab
    • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
    This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

:Make your Internet Explorer more secure:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

:Turn On Automatic Updates:

Turn On Automatic Updates
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    2. Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them

If you click this setting, click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to occur. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. After you set this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site that apply to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not notified or interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. To pause or to resume the download, right-click the icon, and then click Pause or Resume. When the download is completed, another message appears in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.

or visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

:antispyware programs:
    you have a couple of good antispyware programs on this computer but you still can try some of these others to see if you like them also

I would reccomend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (all free), and the updating of them regularly:
    • WinPatrol As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.

• Spybot Search & Destroy - Spybot is a tool like Ad-Aware SE whereas it seeks out and removes known spyware from your machine. These two tools (Ad-Aware & spybot) are perfect complements to each other as one will most always find something the other missed.
    • Spyware Blaster - By altering your registry, this program stops harmful sites from installing things like ActiveX Controls on your machines.
    • IE_Spyad - Works by placing known "bad" sites into your Internet Explorer "Restricted Zones" prohibiting them from doing potentially problematic things to your computer.

Consider a custom hosts file
    Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

please read this great article by miekiemoes How to prevent Malware:
and
this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Now you have followed my advice - it's time to lodge a complaint against what you have suffered.........

Malware Complaints
If you were infected .... Stand Up and be Counted.

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can then be closed.

Gringo
gringo_pr
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Unread postby justWayne » August 23rd, 2008, 6:30 am

Gringo,

Thank you so much for all your help.

Have a great week-end.............

Wayne
justWayne

Unread postby NonSuch » August 24th, 2008, 8:16 pm

As this issue is now resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove