Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

One Professor's View of CS Curricula

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

One Professor's View of CS Curricula

Unread postby askey127 » August 8th, 2008, 6:32 am

One interesting view of Computer Science studies in their present condition. and prospects (or lack of) for careers.
http://www.internetnews.com/commentary/print.php/3763871
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: One Professor's View of CS Curricula

Unread postby Elrond » August 8th, 2008, 7:34 am

I am afraid that he is correct.
It is much the same phenomenon that you see in many of the hard sciences in the US at the lower levels. They give the students the simplified version of what they give them at the same level in other countries. More pictures and less formulas and math. It is only at the higher levels that the system catches up to other countries.
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » August 8th, 2008, 1:22 pm

This article is interesting. I see another point of view and now understand why my school drove us crazy with all the Maths. They also drove us crazy with all the algorithms and data structures.

Now I feel differently towards them.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Axephilic » August 9th, 2008, 3:27 am

This one really caught my attention. Because I am a Junior in High School, looking at colleges. I want to major in Computer Programming and minor in Mathematics. Essentially, I want to be a computer programmer.

I am reading a book on Java right now because my main goal within the next few years is to make a gaming site because one of the old sites that I used to play on (I used to play cribbage tournaments) is no longer on and I haven't been able to find a good site to play on since; along with everyone who I used to play with (over 400 people). I like Java and think it is an awesome language.

By the way Java has almost no presence in such systems. At least as of a few months ago, there was not a single line of safety-critical Java flying in commercial or military aircraft.

According to the Java license agreement when downloading the SDK, you cannot use Java in weapons systems or to run a nuclear power plant. There's a few other things that I can't think of off the top of my head in there too. :)

“I am afraid I would be met by blank stares from most recent CS graduates, many of whom have never seen assembly or machine language!” he says.

I took a C++ programming class last year, and the first thing taught was assembly & machine language and then binary. Then we got to the actual C++. I'm taking the advanced course this upcoming school year. :)

Thank you for posting that, askey.
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions