Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Audio being played w/o media player being started

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Audio being played w/o media player being started

Unread postby silver » August 3rd, 2008, 12:52 am

Hi Joe,

That looks good, as long as your computer is still running OK then please clean up as follows:

Clean up with OTMoveIt2:
  • Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTMoveIt2 as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTMoveIt main screen, press the CleanUp! button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
Press Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close

Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
Next click Start->Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
Press OK and Yes to confirm

Re-enable Windows Defender real-time protection:
  • Right-click on the Windows Defender icon in the system tray and select Open
  • Click on Tools from the top menu, then press Options
  • Scroll down to Real-time protection options, check Use real-time protection and press Save
  • Close Windows Defender

Re-enable Spybot's TeaTimer
  • Open Spybot S&D
  • Click Mode, check Advanced Mode
  • Go To Left Panel, Click Tools, then also in left panel, click Resident
  • If your firewall raises a question, say OK
  • Check the box labeled Resident TeaTimer and OK any prompts.
  • Use File, Exit to terminate Spybot.
  • Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect.

You can also remove all the results.txt output files from your Desktop and any logs you have kept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above went well and your symptoms have gone then I think your machine is now clean :) here are some tips to help you keep it that way:

I recommend you install a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
Also: subscribe to the mailing list to get update notifications.

Please take care when downloading programs. One of the easiest ways to be infected is to download freeware/shareware programs which come laden with malware - this includes allowing websites to install browser plug-ins or ActiveX controls. Before downloading, it is crucial to check whether the source is reputable.
One way to check is to use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Copy the domain name into the space provided and SiteAdvisor will give you a report on the website which can help you decide if it is safe. They also have a toolbar for IE and Firefox which adds this functionality to your browser.

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program. Please note that if you choose to run this program then you should disable Spybot's Tea Timer as they monitor similar entries.

Find out more about how to prevent infection in the future
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/prevention.html

Please post back to let me know that you have read this, and if there are any further issues.
silver

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Joe41 » August 3rd, 2008, 1:05 am

Hi Silver,

I just wanted to let you know that I read the "clean up" post. Thanks for the tips. I haven't followed the instructions yet, but I will tomorrow am.

Thanks again for all your help.

Joe
Joe41

Unread postby silver » August 3rd, 2008, 1:25 am

The cleanup steps are very important - your machine isn't clean until they are done.
You are most welcome and I'm very happy to help :)
silver

Unread postby Joe41 » August 3rd, 2008, 11:44 am

Hello Silver,

Just want to report that I did the clean-up steps this am. All went well, the pc continues to run normally. I'm going to try the custom hosts file, site advisor, and winpatrol. I think I'll install an add-on called NoScripts and Zone Alarm or Comodo as well. After this malware problem, my wife is more open to the inconvenience of better security.

May all your future removal attempts go well.

Joe
Joe41

Unread postby silver » August 3rd, 2008, 8:51 pm

Hi Joe,

I'm glad the final steps went well and thank you for letting me know.

The extra security software you are considering is a very good idea, but be careful that you only have one firewall installed at a time - two or more can conflict and cause system problems. All the best :)