Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

need sum advice about becoming a computer tech

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

need sum advice about becoming a computer tech

Unread postby wolfe777 » July 20th, 2008, 4:29 pm

im only 17 and im going to be graduating in 09. i want to be a computer tech. i want to be the guy that knows how to bulid computers and remove malware. were should i start and is there any good books to read up on it. my last question what cerificates should i get.
wolfe777

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: need sum advice about becoming a computer tech

Unread postby Axephilic » July 21st, 2008, 2:06 am

You have a couple of different choices. You could go into support, networking, security, programming, etc. I recommend talking to your guidance couselor when school starts about seeing what kind of degree's are available. I recommend at least a Bachelors Degree. I'm going to get my Bachelors of Computer Programming. :) Do whatever interests you the most and as you take the classes, you will get to take the tests for the different certifications. Here is a list of the different certifications: http://certification.about.com/od/certi ... ossary.htm.

As to the removing malware, it will be a LOT cheaper thanks to all of the Teachers here. Once you get accepted, you will be able to get started. It will take you a while before you can work on logs though. Gotta love the price of attendance here though. :lol:

Regards,
Adam
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 22nd, 2008, 8:39 am

If it's just repairing computers, Comptia A+ would be good enough.

Certification aside, you'll need to show that you've the technical expertise. Books can only you that much.

As a start, you can use old computers to experiment. Buy some second hand parts, follow the instructions on the book to assemble it. Then try installing an OS.

Next... remove one or two parts, then put them back. This will simulate an upgrade process. Or if you want, you can buy new parts and put them in.

These books can be borrowed from the libraries:

Comptia A+ books by Jean Andrew from Course Technology - http://course.cengage.com/certification/aplus.cfm

Sybex - http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexTitl ... 48301.html

This book is practically a must for me.

PC Hardware Desk Reference by Stephen Bigelow.

http://www.amazon.com/Bigelows-PC-Hardw ... 0072225254

One of the best computer books I've come across.

As for whether to get a computing degree, it would depend on what you really want.

In Singapore, we have vocational institutes. Quite a number of technicians graduated from there and could find a job without much issues.

If you're looking at software development, networking, etc, a computing degree would be preferable though. There are lots of computing degrees around, take a look at what they major in. E.g. Networking, Security, Programming, Engineering. Some are more specialized, especially networking and security. As you move higher, you will get to see the specialized fields in each major.

If you can't set your mind on something, a general degree would help. Working in the different departments should hopefully help you to decide on what you want to do.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby wolfe777 » July 22nd, 2008, 11:17 am

if i wanted to bulid computer and repair them for example put in the mother board the hard drives etc and get the whole computer running, pluse
fight malware and learn about hardware. what would that follow under as job waise
wolfe777

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 22nd, 2008, 11:25 am

I don't understand you?

By the way, where are you from? As far as education goes, I'm only familiar with my own country's education system. I can't advise much on that.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby wolfe777 » July 23rd, 2008, 12:21 am

let me explain

i want to be able to put the whole computer together

and fight malware. so would i want to study computer security

im from south ca
wolfe777

Unread postby Simon V. » July 25th, 2008, 12:33 pm

i want to be able to put the whole computer together

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/build-a-computer.htm

and fight malware

http://www.malwareremoval.com/university.php
Simon V.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Wingman » July 25th, 2008, 1:07 pm

wolfe777 wrote:if i wanted to bulid computer and repair them for example put in the mother board the hard drives etc and get the whole computer running, pluse
fight malware and learn about hardware. what would that follow under as job waise
I would think that would fall under the Tech Support "grouping"... See Technical Support Professional
Even though this site refers to U.S. Gov't. projections, career paths, etc...it will give you the idea.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Dakeyras » July 27th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Hi wolfe777 :).

I am not sure of your actual location, if it is anywhere in the mainland of the United Kingdom the following is worth considering:

City & Guilds
City and Guilds of London Institute

The various IT course's available are very good and should be recognized by a potential employer if you wish not to seek the BA route.

Myself I did the following in night school a good few years ago and if I recall correctly there is a total of six certification course's available ranging from Level 1 - 6:

Install Information Technology Products Level 2 (Q1024595) <---This one teaches you how to build a a computer from scratch basically and includes a good grounding how Windows operates etc

Use and Support of Information Technology Level 3 (Q1023304) <---This one deals more specifically with Windows based software such as Excel/Outlook Express for example, quite handy to know if you wish to go down the Help desk route etc.

In theory having those two above should be enough if you really wish to seek a career in IT of the nature you queried about. Though being honest I cannot inform you if true because for myself taking those course's was out of interest and remains a hobby to this day.

Either way best of luck with any future endeavorers/training you decide to undertake :).
Dakeyras
MRU Honors Graduate
MRU Honors Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions