Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

McAfee Found Trojan & removed. Is my machine clean?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: McAfee Found Trojan & removed. Is my machine clean?

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 7:04 am

Hi Carolyn. Have you found any malware on my computer? I know the DSS scan was strange because it did not detect McAfee and I got the Bluetooth popup. But my Bluetooth is working, computer is not acting strange and Malwarebytes ran clean. I also ran SuperAnti Spyware, that only found a couple of cookies to delete. McAfee has been running clean. You hadn't said if you saw anything in the scan logs. thank you! Donna
dtheall

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Carolyn » July 23rd, 2008, 8:25 am

Hello Donna,

P2P Warning!

IMPORTANT I notice there are signs of one or more P2P (Person to Person) File Sharing Programs on your computer.

Azureus

Please note that as long as you are using any form of Peer-to-Peer networking and downloading files from non-documented sources, you can expect infestations of malware to occur
Once upon a time, P2P file sharing was fairly safe. That is no longer true. You may continue to use P2P sharing at your own risk; however, please keep in mind that this practice may be the source of your current malware infestation

I'd like you to read the Guidelines for P2P Programs where we explain why it's not a good idea to have them.

References for the risk of these programs can be found in these links: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/protection.mspx
http://www.techweb.com/wire/160500554
http://www.internetworldstats.com/articles/art053.htm
See Clean/Infected P2P Programs here

I would recommend that you uninstall Azureus, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Programs and Features.].

If you wish to keep it, please do not use it until your computer is cleaned.

Uninstall Old Java
Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

• Go to start > control panel > programs and features.
  • Right click on:

Java(TM) 6 Update 5

• Click Uninstall & then follow the prompts to remove it.

Your log indicates that a Reboot is needed to complete the uninstallation of Ask Toolbar.
Please reboot your computer if you have not already done so.

So far, your logs show no sign of malware. I would like you to run one more scan, just to be certain.

First,
Run CCleaner
CCleaner will remove everything from the temp/temporary folders but please note that it will not make back ups!
  • Right click on CCleaner and select Run as administrator
  • Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours
  • Then select the items you wish to clean up.
    • In the Windows Tab:
      • Clean all entries in the Internet Explorer section except Cookies
      • Clean all the entries in the Windows Explorer section
      • Clean all entries in the System section
      • Clean all entries in the Advanced section
      • Clean any others that you choose
    • In the Applications Tab:
      • Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it
      • Clean all in the Opera section if you use it
      • Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section
      • Clean any others that you choose
  • Click the Run Cleaner button.
  • A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
  • Click OK and it will scan and clean your system.
  • Click exit when done.
  • If it asks you to reboot at the end, click NO
CCleaner should be run with the above settings for each User Account!

Next,
Right click on your favourite web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc) and select Run As Administrator to run it.

Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan. Please use Internet Explorer as it uses ActiveX.

1. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  2. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  3. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  4. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  5. Click on My Computer under Scan.
  6. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  7. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
  8. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.

Please post the Kaspersky log along with a fresh HijackThis log and a description of how your computer is behaving.
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 8:59 am

Carolyn - I have removed the P2P software. I agree it is dangerous and not worth the risk. I have removed the older version of Java and rebooted since the ASK toolbar removal. I will run the other scans and post shortly. thanks.
dtheall

Unread postby Carolyn » July 23rd, 2008, 9:12 am

:thumbup:
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 10:55 am

Carolyn - Scan below. What is Smithfraud?
I still have to run Hijack this.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:32:37
Records in database: 996706
Scan settings
Scan using the following database extended
Scan archives yes
Scan mail databases yes
Scan area My Computer
C:\
D:\
E:\
Scan statistics
Files scanned 110996
Threat name 1
Infected objects 2
Suspicious objects 0
Duration of the scan 01:08:19

File name Threat name Threats count
C:\Users\Donna\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\Reboot.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f 1
C:\Windows\System32\SmitfraudFix\Reboot.exe Infected: not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f 1
The selected area was scanned.
dtheall

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 11:01 am

HIJACK LOG. MY MACHINE IS RUNNING NORMALLY. NOTHING ABNORMAL OR 'FUNNY' HAPPENING.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:58:41 AM, on 7/23/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
C:\Windows\OEM02Mon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Sigmatel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 966\dlcqmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 966\memcard.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\LinksysAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE
c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BtStackServer.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\HidFind.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\sdclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: McAntiPhishingBHO - {377C180E-6F0E-4D4C-980F-F45BD3D40CF4} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msk\mcapbho.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.1119.1736\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: CBrowserHelperObject Object - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] c:\dell\dsca.exe 3
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM02Mon.exe] C:\Windows\OEM02Mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FaxCenterServer] "C:\Program Files\Dell PC Fax\fm3032.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] c:\dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlcqmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 966\dlcqmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MemoryCardManager] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 966\memcard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCQCATS] rundll32 C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCQtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EasyLinkAdvisor] "C:\Program Files\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\LinksysAgent.exe" /startup
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Google Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SetPoint.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device... - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device... - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~1.0_0\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE16~1.0_0\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/resourc ... den-us.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~2\GOEC62~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: GoToAssist - C:\Windows\
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: dlcq_device - - C:\Windows\system32\dlcqcoms.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.7.802.22438 (GoogleDesktopManager-022208-143751) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Citrix\GoToAssist\480\g2aservice.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Net (Rpcnet) - Absolute Software Corp. - C:\Windows\System32\rpcnet.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 11459 bytes
dtheall

Unread postby Carolyn » July 23rd, 2008, 1:52 pm

Hi Donna,

What is Smithfraud?

Let me first tell you what SmitfraudFix is - it is a tool for removing Smitfraud infections. It is incorrectly flagged as malware by most scanners. In short, those Kaspersky entries are of no concern.

Smitfraud is malicious software that tries to trick the User into purchasing fake software security programs. There is a pretty good definition HERE.

Regarding the Bluetooth popup, if it continues to be a bother, you can run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. You can use this tool to fix the issue but will need to reinstall the affected software.

This is my general post for when your logs show no signs of malware ;)- Please let me know if you still are having problems with your computer and what these problems are

Your log now appears to be clean. Congratulations!

Please delete the following from your Desktop:
  • DSS.exe
  • Smitfraudfix.exe

Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints Malware Complaints. You need to be registered to post as, unfortunately, we were hit with too many spam posts to allow guest posting to continue. Just find your country room and register your complaint.

Protection Programs
Don't forget to re-enable any protection programs we disabled during your fix.

General Security and Computer Health
Below are some steps to follow in order to dramatically lower the chances of reinfection. You may have already implemented some of the steps below, however you should follow any steps that you have not already implemented.

• Clear Infected System Restore Points
    Turn off System Restore-Vista
    • Click the Vista/Start icon.
    • Right Click >> Computer
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Protection tab.
    • Uncheck All drives
    • Click "Turn Off System Restore" at the prompt then click "Apply".
    • Restart your computer.

Turn ON System Restore-Vista
    • Click the Vista/Start icon
    • Right Click >> Computer
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Protection tab.
    • Checkmark All drives that were selected previously then click "Apply".

• Set correct settings for files
    • Click Start > Computer > Organize menu (at top of page) > Folder and Search Options > View tab.
    • Under Hidden files and folders if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
    • If unchecked please check Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    • If necessary check Display content of system folders
    • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
    • Click OK

• Make sure that you keep your antivirus updated
    New viruses come out every minute, so it is essential that you have the latest signatures for your antivirus program to provide you with the best possible protection from malicious software.
    Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.

• Security Updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
    Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch so that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC. Keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC. Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab.

• Update Non-Microsoft Programs
    Microsoft isn't the only company whose products can contain security vulnerabilities. To check whether other programs running on your PC are in need of an update, you can use the Secunia Software Inspector - I suggest that you run it at least once a month.

• Make Internet Explorer More Secure
    You are using Internet Explorer v. 7. Therefore please read and follow the recommendations at this SITE

Recommended Programs

I would recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (if not already present), and the updating of them on a regular basis.

• WinPatrol
    As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. For more information, please visit HERE.

• Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is an anti-malware application that can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware. It includes a number of features, including a built in protection monitor that blocks malicious processes before they even start.You can download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE. You can find a tutorial HERE.

• Hosts File
    For added protection you may also like to add a host file. A simple explanation of what a Hosts file does is HERE and for more information regarding host files read HERE.

Be sure to disable the service "DNS Client" FIRST to allow the use of large HOSTS files without slowdowns.
    If this isn't done first, the next reboot may take a VERY LONG TIME.
    This is how to do it. First be sure you are signed in as a user with administrative privileges:
    Stop and Disable the DNS Client Service
    Go to Start, in the Start Search box type Run, when the run window opens type Services.msc and click OK.
    Under the Extended Tab, Scroll down and find this service.
    DNS Client
    Right-Click on the DNS Client Service. Choose Properties
    Select the General tab. Click on the Stop button.
    Click the Arrow-down tab on the right-hand side at the Start-up Type box.
    From the drop-down menu, click on Manual
    Click the Apply tab, then click OK

• Use an alternative Internet Browser
    Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different browser instead:
    Firefox
    Opera

Finally I am trying to make one point very clear. It is absolutely essential to keep all of your security programs up to date.

Also please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 2:13 pm

Carolyn, thanks for the geat news! I've read the post and will take some of the recommended actions. I appreciate your time. Donna
dtheall

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 2:14 pm

Great news! Need to preview!
dtheall

Unread postby Gary R » July 23rd, 2008, 3:18 pm