Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Help with some bugs, Please...

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Help with some bugs, Please...

Unread postby con0627 » July 12th, 2008, 1:21 pm

oh ya

the machine seems to be better but is still not up to snuff....

are the missing app. files slowing things, i noticed there are avast files missing and a couple others...

mike
con0627

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby silver » July 12th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Hi Mike,

are the missing app. files slowing things, i noticed there are avast files missing and a couple others...
HijackThis isn't always accurate when it shows "(file missing)", we can confirm the existence of these files as follows:

Next press Start->Run, copy/paste the following command (it's one long command) into the box and press OK:
cmd /c dir "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ash*sv.exe" /a >> "%userprofile%\desktop\check.txt" 2>>&1
A black box will open and a file will appear on your Desktop called check.txt.
Post the contents of check.txt in your next response.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please press Start->Control Panel->Java to open the Java control panel applet
On the General tab click Settings..., click Delete files..., make sure both boxes are checked and press OK
Press OK and OK again to close the Java control panel applet

You should now delete SDFix.exe and DSS.exe from your Desktop, also delete the following folders:
C:\SDFix
C:\Deckard
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\BitTorrent Downloads\Big Fish Games - Hidden Object Games Collection

Re-hide hidden/system files and folders:
Click Start -> My Computer
Select the Tools menu, click Folder Options and select the View tab
Under the Hidden files and folders heading SELECT Do not show hidden files and folders
CHECK the Hide extensions for known file types option
CHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option
Press OK

Create a new, clean System Restore point which you can use in case of future system problems:
Press Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
Select Create a restore point, then Next, type a name like All Clean then press the Create button and once it's done press Close

Now remove old, infected System Restore points:
Next click Start->Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK
Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
Select the More Options tab, under System Restore press Clean up... and say Yes to the prompt
Press OK and Yes to confirm

Once complete, please let me know if you had any difficulties with the instructions.
silver

Unread postby con0627 » July 13th, 2008, 11:50 am

Volume in drive C is Vicki's Laptop
Volume Serial Number is FC7A-955F

Directory of C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

05/15/2008 07:19 PM 247,160 ashMaiSv.exe
05/15/2008 07:16 PM 349,560 ashWebSv.exe
2 File(s) 596,720 bytes
0 Dir(s) 64,580,132,864 bytes free

got all done except for the java, from cp there is no java option....

i forgot to download java i had none on this machine,am getting it now from sun....

thanks
mike
con0627

Unread postby silver » July 13th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Hi Mike,

You can see from the directory listing that the Avast files are in fact present, if you have further questions about this please let me know.

Please delete the Java cache as follows:
Use Windows Explorer (right-click Start, select Explore) to find and delete the contents of the following folder (not the folder itself, but everything inside it):
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
If you have trouble doing this, please let me know in your next response.

If the above went well, I think your machine is now clean of malware :)
If you are still not happy with the performance of your machine, the problem is very likely to be other than malware. In this case I think the best way to resolve it is to post at a general troubleshooting forum such as the Microsoft Windows forum at WhatTheTech. The experts there specialize in handling problems like this so you are certain to get expert assistance and a speedy resolution is very likely.

Here are some tips to help you keep your computer clean:

You have a good antivirus program installed, however I recommend you install antispyware software with real-time capabilities - this means it protects you from system changes and spyware while you are working, not just removing malware after it has been installed. There are a range of paid-for and free packages available, a free one I can recommend is Windows Defender, available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

I recommend you install a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
Also: subscribe to the mailing list to get update notifications.

Please take care when downloading programs. One of the easiest ways to be infected is to download freeware/shareware programs which come laden with malware - this includes allowing websites to install browser plug-ins or ActiveX controls. Before downloading, it is crucial to check whether the source is reputable.
One way to check is to use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Copy the domain name into the space provided and SiteAdvisor will give you a report on the website which can help you decide if it is safe. They also have a toolbar for IE and Firefox which adds this functionality to your browser.

Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.

Find out more about how to prevent infection in the future
http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/prevention.html

Please post back to let me know that you have read this, and if there are any further issues.
silver

Unread postby con0627 » July 15th, 2008, 8:28 pm

thanks for all the help, just have to defrag. now should help speed things.....

Thanks again

awesome fix

Mike

This thread is closed :) :)
con0627

Unread postby silver » July 15th, 2008, 9:08 pm

You're welcome Mike :)