Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Antivirus XP 2008. I need help removing it.

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Antivirus XP 2008. I need help removing it.

Unread postby soaring goat » July 1st, 2008, 3:32 pm

Hi peku006

I'm very happy to hear that we're almost done. But I can't seem to understand how to empty the Norton Quarantine. The link you gave me only covers Norton Antivirus 2003 to 2006. My product is called Norton Internet Security 2008. The advice I recieved don't apply I think. I have been looking for another way of emptying my quarantine zone, but I haven't succeded yet. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

All I could find was Show History/Quarantine
There you could select different viruses and quarantined objects. There is no delete button, but you can click on the more infor button, and select "Remove from history". Now I don't know if that removes the file in question from the quarantined folder, or if it just removes it from the LIST OF QUARANTINED ITEMS.

A quick reply woul be appreciated.
soaring goat

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby peku006 » July 2nd, 2008, 2:09 am

Hi soaring goat

Quarantined virus are not dangerous anymore but should be removed.

Please do the following...

Click the Norton icon in the Taskbar and then click the Norton AntiVirus tab when the window opens. Click Tasks & Scans and Manage Quarantined Items.
(Quarantine displays a list of the suspect files that it stores)
click the More Details button and then click . Remove From History. (to destroy the file)
peku006
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby soaring goat » July 2nd, 2008, 5:10 am

Hi again peku006.

I managed to remove all the quarantined objects except one. When I click on details I don't get an option of removing it. The virus is called Trojan.Vundo ERASER version 107.4.1.2

Should we just ignore it or is there some way of removing it?
soaring goat

Unread postby peku006 » July 2nd, 2008, 10:29 am

Hi soaring goat
We can try this

Boot into Safe Mode

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode.
  • If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe Mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  • Login on your usual account.

Now navigate to the following Folder
C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine <=== delete items in that folder

After that, Reboot to normal mode

Let me know if problem is away ?

Thanks peku006
peku006
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby soaring goat » July 2nd, 2008, 11:03 am

Hi peku006

I did exactly as you told me, but when I rebooted in normal mode the Trojan.Vundo was still there. I still can't remove it. There are three other objects in the quarantine now too, but I can remove them.

You see the reason I can't remove the Trojan.Vundo is because there is no button for removing it. Maybe I told you this before I don't know. I also tried to chat with the norton/symantec guys, and they gave me a file to download (FixVundo.exe) and I ran it, but it came back clean! I'm getting really really confused about this.

I'm going to remove the three other quarantined objects while I wait for your reply.
soaring goat

Unread postby soaring goat » July 2nd, 2008, 4:45 pm

This is my last post before I leave for Morocco tomorrow. I just wanted to remind you of that I will be away until the 27th or 28th. Which means you won't hear anything from me. I'll just pop back and post a forum reply (in this thread) when I'm back. I hope you will be well, and thank you for all your help so far.

I'm looking forward to get back here and clean up my screwed up PC.
soaring goat

Unread postby soaring goat » July 25th, 2008, 5:04 am

Hello!

I'm back from Morocco now, a little earlier than what I said. I got the dates mixed up but it doesn't matter.

What matters is what I'm supposed to do with my computer. The last advice you gave me was to reboot to safe mode and delete the contents of the C/Program/Norton Antivirus/Quarantine and I have done that, but it still doesn't change the fact that when I'm using the norton program to view the quarantine it still tells me I the Trojan.Vundo is there. It also tells me that the Trojan.Vundo is completely neutralized, but I wouldn't know. Can we just leave it it the way it is, or is the Trojan.Vundo still active, and dangerous?

Hoping to hear from you soon,
soaring goat
soaring goat

Unread postby peku006 » August 1st, 2008, 2:54 am

Hi soaring goat

Don't worry about Trojan.Vundo ERASER version 107.4.1.2
it´s legit Norton file. :)

Symantec have something called "Eraser Engine"
the AV Engine and Eraser have the following versions:

naveng32.dll: 71.4.0.23
ccEraser.dll: 107.4.1.2

peku006
peku006
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby soaring goat » August 1st, 2008, 5:11 am

HI peku006,

I gues that means I'm done, right? I just have to follow the advice you gave me before I went to Morocco?

I have to create a systems restore point, clean up all the programs you told me to get and some other things.

Just to be absolutely clear, is that what I am supposed to do? You must be very tired of me having the need to confirm stuff all the time, but that's just me.
soaring goat

Unread postby peku006 » August 1st, 2008, 9:07 am

Hi soaring goat
I have to create a systems restore point, clean up all the programs you told me to get and some other things.

Just to be absolutely clear, is that what I am supposed to do?

Yes,you did everything right...

You must be very tired of me having the need to confirm stuff all the time

Nej , nej, thats my job ;)
Everything is good now,your computer is clean :)

peku006
peku006
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Shaba » August 3rd, 2008, 2:10 pm

soaring goat this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous