Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

help with malware

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

help with malware

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 15th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Here's my log:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:02:16 PM, on 5/15/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcregist.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [100e2388] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nmktorid.dll",b
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple OS Switch Manager (AppleOSSMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Time Service (AppleTimeSrv) - Apple Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe

--
End of file - 3826 bytes
pcmomnew

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: help with malware

Unread postby Gary R » May 16th, 2008, 4:12 am

Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Unless informed of in advance, failure to post replies within 5 days will result in this thread being closed.

Hi pcmomnew

I'm Gary R, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Perform all actions in the order given.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with it till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
If you can do these things, everything should go smoothly.
  • If you're using XP, you'll need Administrator privileges to perform the fixes. (XP accounts are Administrator by default)
  • If you're using Vista, it will be necessary to right click all tools we use and select ----> Run as Admistrator
It may be helpful to you to print out or take a copy of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Your HijackThis log looks a little short, have you been removing anything with HijackThis ?

If you have

• Double click HijackThis.exe to launch it.
  • Click Config > Backups
  • Check (tick) all entries in the white box.
  • Click Restore
    • Answer Yes when prompted.
  • Hit the Back button.
  • Now run a new scan and post me the log please.

If not

Download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) to your Desktop. (Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges).
  • Close all applications and windows.
  • Double-click on dss.exe to run it, and follow the prompts.
  • When the scan is complete, two text files will open - main.txt <- this one will be maximized and extra.txt<-this one will be minimized
  • Copy/Paste the contents of main.txt and extra.txt into your next post please.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 16th, 2008, 7:56 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your help.

I had restarted without a full startup through msconfig. I went back to a normal boot, rescanned with hijackthis - and am posting the new log. Here it is:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:34:53 AM, on 5/16/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\IRW.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\KbdMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcregist.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.whynotsearchhere.com/start.php
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [100e2388] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nmktorid.dll",b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IRW] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IRW.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dbar_starter] C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Deskbar_{9317C48A-6405-4d9d-9142-C13B03053514}\starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apple_KbdMgr] C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\KbdMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BM133d1014] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xcxibiia.dll",s
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinUpdater] "C:\Program Files\winvi\update.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WebSUpdater] "C:\Program Files\winvi\wupda.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: DW_Start.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\jmwnw64k.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple OS Switch Manager (AppleOSSMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleOSSMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Time Service (AppleTimeSrv) - Apple Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe

--
End of file - 4849 bytes
pcmomnew

Unread postby Gary R » May 16th, 2008, 8:13 am

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SDFix.exe
  • Accept default location and click Install button.
  • It will now extract the files to C:\SDFix
Reboot your computer into Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.
Note: if you cannot boot into safe mode using this method, DO NOT attempt to do so by using MSConfig, this could result in your computer becoming unbootable. Just let me know.

Once in safe mode.
  • Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
    (Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).
  • Finally paste me the contents of Report.txt.

Next

• Go to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
  • Open the HijackThis folder
  • Rename the file HijackThis.exe to FredFlintstone.exe
  • Run a new scan with HJT (FredFlintstone) and send me the new log please.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 16th, 2008, 8:28 am

Gary,

Where do I find SDFix. It wasn't listed in downloads on this website.

Never mind - I think you meant for me to download directly from your message.(?)

Thanks - I'll get on it.
pcmomnew

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 16th, 2008, 9:12 am

Hi Gary, again

I can restart into safe mode - but my keyboard is disabled - so when I try to type Y to run the batch file in SDFix, I can't do anything.

Is there another way get into safe mode that won't disable the keyboard. The problem may be that this is a partition of a MAC running Windows XP. Let me know what I should try.

Thanks,
PCMomnew
pcmomnew

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 16th, 2008, 10:34 am

Gary - one more problem

Trying to restart in safe mode at first disabled the keyboard, so I couldn't run the batch file. I rebooted into normal mode to see if the keyboard worked there - and it does, but the mouse is now completely disabled - it's a USB mouse, and I don't have another pointing device (except a Bluetooth Wireless Mouse) - so I'm not sure what to do now!

Thanks for your help,
PCmomnew
pcmomnew

Unread postby Gary R » May 16th, 2008, 12:16 pm

OK, not sure why your keyboard's being disabled in Safe Mode, so we'll use a tool that doesn't require SM, just means we'll have a bit more work to do.

There are some new infections that damage your ability to boot if they are removed. So before we go any further, I need you to install Recovery Console to your computer. This is purely a precautionary measure, I don't see signs of them on your computer, but it's better to be a little cautious now than regretful later.

Recovery Console gives us the ability to recover your computer if things go wrong.

• Download combofix.exe by sUBs to your Desktop (it must be in this location).
  • Alternate Download
  • If you already have a previous version, delete it and download a new version.
  • Go to Microsoft's website
  • Select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System (if you have XP Media Centre, use download for XP Pro)

• Download the file & save it as it's originally named, to your Desktop.
  • Next
    • Disconnect from the Internet.
    • Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, and anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its files which may cause unpredictable results.
    • Click here to see a list of programs that should be disabled (ignore the firewalls). The list is not all inclusive. If yours are not listed and you don't know how to disable them, please ask.

• Now close all open windows and programs, then drag the setup package onto ComboFix.exe and drop it.
  • Follow the prompts to start ComboFix.
  • When prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install Microsoft Recovery Console.
  • When complete a mesage will pop up asking if you want to continue scanning for Malware.
    • Click Yes
      • Combofix will now run a scan. (Usually takes 15-20 mins, but could be slightly longer)
      • When finished, it will
        • Produce a log for you. (it can also be found at C:\Combofix.txt)
      • Post the log in your next reply please.
      • Now run a new HJT scan and send me the log from that as well please.
  • Don't forget to re-enable your anti-virus and anti-malware protection before re-connecting to the Internet.

IMPORTANT
  • Do not use your computer while Combofix is running.
  • Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.
  • If you've lost your Internet connection when Combofix has completely finished, re-start your computer to restore it.
If you have any problems with these instructions, a detailed Tutorial for how to use Combofix is available here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 16th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Gary,

I'm not sure I can do any of this since my mouse is now completely disabled, and reloading the driver did not fix it.

I'm probably going to wipe the disk, repartition and reinstall Windows - I don't see any other way to get this fixed if my mouse isn't functioning.

What do you think?
pcmomnew

Unread postby Gary R » May 16th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Re-formatting your disk and re-installing Windows will certainly clear your Malware problems.

Whether it will resolve the mouse problem I couldn't say, could be a hardware failure, it's impossible for me to say from here. Do you have access to another mouse that you can try?
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby pcmomnew » May 16th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Another mouse failed in the same way - and all three USB ports have been tried as well as the two auxiliary ports on the keyboard.

Time to reformat!

Thanks for trying.
pcmomnew

Unread postby Gary R » May 17th, 2008, 2:25 am

You're welcome.