Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

kathyros.vbs

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: kathyros.vbs

Unread postby Bio-Hazard » May 7th, 2008, 3:57 pm

xcthrasher wrote:I ran the flash disinfect program and it saved a hidden folder on my thumb drive named "autorun.inf". Do I just leave the folder there after running the program or should I remove it afterwards?

Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

xcthrasher wrote:I've also removed Viewpoint but I can't follow your other instructions on how to prevent it from installing again, as I do not have AOL. It (AOL) shows up on my add/remove programs list but even if I click on remove, it won't let me. Its (un)installer program scans my computer and says I don't have AOL installed, yet it won't remove itself from the add/remove programs list. Very annoying indeed!

Thats ok if you dont have AOL installed. Have you ever used AOL?

xcthrasher wrote:As for utorrent, I can't uninstall it either. It doesn't show up on the add/remove programs list and i don't have an uninstall link from the start menu either. Do I simply remove this from my Program Files folder?

First look in this folder C:\Program Files\uTorrent, there may be an uninstaller (usually called something like uninstall.exe or uninstaller.exe). If found, double-click on the file to run it.
If the uninstaller is not found, re-install uTorrent from >HERE< then go to the Add/Remove applet to uninstall uTorrent.

xcthrasher wrote:Oh, and I chose not to include ERUNT from my startup folder. Is this okay? I don't recall from your instructions whether or not to do so.

It is okay to do that and you are right i havent mentioned that in my instructions. However i would recommend to include that in startup. ERUNT is excellent back up program for your registry. It is up to you.
Last edited by Bio-Hazard on May 7th, 2008, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bio-Hazard
MRU Master Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Vino Rosso » May 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Apologies... my mistake!
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby xcthrasher » May 8th, 2008, 4:54 am

Thanks for everything! Looks like my machine is all good now. I haven't experienced any other problems so far.

I've never used AOL on this computer. The software came bundled when I got it but I didn't set it up. I guess I can live with this little annoyance for as long as it doesn't do anything nasty to my computer. I've also uninstalled utorrent from your link.

As for ERUNT, should I run the installer program again to include it in my startup folder? I can't see how to change settings from this nifty program.
xcthrasher

Unread postby Bio-Hazard » May 8th, 2008, 1:42 pm

xcthrasher wrote:I've never used AOL on this computer. The software came bundled when I got it but I didn't set it up. I guess I can live with this little annoyance for as long as it doesn't do anything nasty to my computer.

Ok, thats fine.

xcthrasher wrote:As for ERUNT, should I run the installer program again to include it in my startup folder?

Well i had a look at my machine and only way to do this is to uninstall ERUNT and reinstall it.

Your log now appears to be clean. Congratulations!

You can get rid of the tools we used:
  • ATF Cleaner (You can just delete the exe file from your desktop)
  • DSS (You can just delete the exe file from your desktop)
  • ERUNT (I would recommed to keep this program)
  • Flash Disinfector
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (I would recommed to keep this program)

This is how you can uninstall it/them:

• Click Start
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Go to Add/Remove Programs
  • Find and click Remove for the following (if present):

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    ERUNT

NOTE: Take care when answering any questions posed by an uninstaller. Some questions may be worded to deceive you into keeping the program.

Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints Malware Complaints. You need to be registered to post as, unfortunately, we were hit with too many spam posts to allow guest posting to continue. Just find your country room and register your complaint.

General Security and Computer Health
Below are some steps to follow in order to dramatically lower the chances of reinfection. You may have already implemented some of the steps below, however you should follow any steps that you have not already implemented.

• Clear Infected System Restore Points
    • Turn System Restore off
    • On the Desktop, right click on the My Computer icon.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Check Turn off System Restore.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
      Restart your computer
    • Turn System Restore on
    • On the Desktop, right click on the My Computer icon.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Uncheck *Turn off System Restore*.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    Note: only do this once,and not on a regular basis

• Set correct settings for files
    • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
    • Under Hidden files and folders if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
    • If unchecked please check Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    • If necessary check Display content of system folders
    • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
    • Click OK

• Make sure that you keep your antivirus updated
    New viruses come out every minute, so it is essential that you have the latest signatures for your antivirus program to provide you with the best possible protection from malicious software.
    Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.
  • Security Updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
    Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch so that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC. Keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC. Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab or visit the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis.
    Note: The update process uses ActiveX, so you will need to use internet explorer for it and allow the ActiveX control to install.
  • Update Non-Microsoft Programs
    Microsoft isn't the only company whose products can contain security vulnerabilities. To check whether other programs running on your PC are in need of an update, you can use the Secunia Software Inspector - I suggest that you run it at least once a month.
  • Make Internet Explorer More Secure
    You are using Internet Explorer v. 7. Therefore please read and follow the recommendations at this SITE

Recommended Programs

I would recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (if not already present), and the updating of them on a regular basis.

• WinPatrol
    As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. For more information, please visit HERE.
  • SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster sets killbits in the registry to prevent known malicious ActiveX controls from installing on your computer. If you don't know what ActiveX controls are, see HERE. You can download SpywareBlaster from HERE.
  • Hosts File
    For added protection you may also like to add a host file. A simple explanation of what a Hosts file does is HERE and for more information regarding host files read HERE.

Finally I am trying to make one point very clear. It is absolutely essential to keep all of your security programs up to date.

Also please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

I'd be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Happy surfing and stay clean!

Bio-Hazard
Bio-Hazard
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby Gary R » May 10th, 2008, 3:35 am