Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Strange goings on - help!

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Re: Strange goings on - help!

Unread postby Drewcat » March 21st, 2008, 8:51 pm

Hey Six

Everyone who updated spybot automatically onto the 1.5 ended up with 2 versions. I uninstalled both through add/remove and installed 1.5 alone fresh again. Seems like the best option for that. They really should have made it more clear they were downloading on a new version and told people to uninstall 1.4.

I downloaded Sunbelt shortly after you did to try it out some more. The main problem I had which I did have before on it but forgot, was that it isn't starting to run when I turn on my computer. Leaving me without a running firewall and not noticing. If it is doing that to you, best not to rely on it unless you can always remember to check that it is on. I went back to Comodo firewall.

As for all the other problems you are having I'm sorry to hear. I wish you the best.
Drewcat

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby six-h » March 21st, 2008, 9:59 pm

Thanks Drew,
Nice to hear from you again.
Gave up on Sunbelt on their advice when their helpdesk said there was something strange going on in my machine!
unloaded both Spybots, and haven't re-loaded either of them to avoid further complicating the nightmare that I'm currently trying to escape!
Current experiences have made me re-think any delusions I may have had regarding being able to join you folks and learn how to become a Malware Fighter!!

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby six-h » March 27th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Just a little more news of strange goings on, if anyone's still interested!
shutting down yesterday, nothing open, an "Ending Programme" window and progress bar appeared.
The programme it was ending..."should not see me"!

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby six-h » March 27th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Another experience in the Alice through the Looking Glass world that is my PC!
I have a folder on my D:\backup sector that is named 23125eda25a7e5c21a2d8547,
Mousing over it shows it to contain a folder named "update" size 0 bytes, attempts to open it result in the above message.
Any ideas what it is, and if it's likely to be malignant?
The guys at the Medion help desk were less than certain if I should delete it!

six-h
six-h
Banned Member

Unread postby Scotty » March 27th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Those folders are, I believe, to do with M$ updates. You should leave it, Ive got a couple of them on my pc. I think if you delete them they just get re-created anyway. With a different long random number.

You really arent having much luck with that computer are you?
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chewy » March 27th, 2008, 8:25 pm

I think he restored from a corrupted backup image instead of a "clean install"

The only way he might ever get right again is to slipstream sp2 into his cab files if he doesn't already have sp2 in his medion disk, then archive/backup the latest drivers that post date sp2 and bite the bullet and do a clean install for a good load, it's been my experience that most factory computers come with such outdated drivers and an older flawed OS with too much crapware already installed to be considered a "good load".
Chewy

Unread postby Scotty » March 28th, 2008, 5:23 am

A friend of mine has the same problem. Cant boot into Windows, due to his recovery partition being corrupted and we have done a couple of re-installs. So Im going down later with GParted to completely wipe the drive and force an install from the Recovery discs.
The problem there is, the discs are made from the RP sothey may well be corrupted too and HP wont give out replacements for free.

It is also something Ive noticed the past week. At more than a few forums, there are op's saying they have done a re-install and now the machines are unbootable.
The common factor is, they do the format, try booting, it gets to the Windows loading screen then reboots itself and the screen with Last Good Configuration comes up, but still doesnt boot. I dont think it's limited to HP/Compaq but seems a bit odd.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chewy » March 28th, 2008, 8:13 am

C: is Fixed (NTFS) - 74.55 GiB total, 51.05 GiB free.
D: is Fixed (NTFS) - 68.64 GiB total, 66.37 GiB free.
E: is Fixed (FAT32) - 5.85 GiB total, 2.03 GiB free.

Be very careful with gpartd or any other bootloader

E should be his recovery partition, not D

As for running XP as a repair disk, I expect we'll start to see similar issues to when MS released SP4 for W2k and running the original W2k as a repair disk rendered the computer
unbootable, which is why MS developed the slipstreaming option.

Those who do not study histroy tend to repeat it.
Chewy

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to General Discussions