Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

I got it and need some help. Trojan.Virtumonde

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: I got it and need some help. Trojan.Virtumonde

Unread postby Scotty » March 7th, 2008, 10:49 am

Hi

Firstly, can you check you have this folder on your computer?

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby phxmark123 » March 7th, 2008, 10:58 am

I can copy files from my other computer if needed
phxmark123

Unread postby Scotty » March 7th, 2008, 11:02 am

Hi

Here is the fix. When I tested, I didnt have that folder and had to get off the Windows CD.

Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

To reinstall System Restore please
    Click Start > Run
    Using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V copy the following text into the box.
    %Windir%\INF
  • A list will open up. Please find SR.INF and right-click on it.
  • Click Install
  • If the computer asks for Windows installation source path you should point it to %Windir%\ServicePackFiles. If it shows different possibilities you would point it to [b]C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles[\b]
  • System Restore core files will be reinstalled.
  • Restart Windows when prompted.

Did it help?
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby phxmark123 » March 7th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Well first. I forgot that my other computer is 8 years old and has been jacked with by many nerdy friends I dont think it has the windows service pack and runs xp professional.
NOW, my wife desided that she wanted a new computer anyways because she couldnt play some games and some were running slow. So...Now we have a new dual core Dell. I set that up for here tonight. What I plan on doing in the next couple day is set up hers again (the one with the virus and restore problems) and continue to fix it and use it as my primary computer. So, give me a little time and I will let you know when I am ready
phxmark123

Unread postby phxmark123 » March 9th, 2008, 6:10 am

ok, first I can not find C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles on any of my computers. Second, A while back I contacted emachines and bought the 4 disc bootable Restore cd. Do you think I could explore those disks and find those files?
Ok, I need to talk to you about this computer now that my wife bought her "Monster" computer. Man I wish I had her computer. Dual core Amd Athalon 5600+ with 3 gigs of ram and a 24 inch flat screen lcd monitor.
So my plans with this computer is to get rid of all the junk and start fresh. I am going to copy the pictures and mp3s I have on it and Restore it. I hate to see we went through all this work not to fix it. But even if we do I am going to Restore it anyways.
phxmark123

Unread postby Scotty » March 9th, 2008, 11:00 am

Hi

As you are about to reinstall Windows, there is no need for you continue fixing System Restore. You will be starting afresh, back to the day when the computer left the factory.

Remember to install an anti-virus straight away, and a firewall, then, if you want, come back here for further security protection advise. I will leave this topic open for a few days if you wish.
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby phxmark123 » March 9th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Thanks Scotty. Ok, yes I could still use your advice. I have reformated this computer. I have uninstalled McAfee and Norton and have installed Malwarebytes and AVG. While doing a complete scan with AVG is saw it scan some Norton files still on my computer. I would like to get rid of them. I am now going to install Comodo. Again thanks for all your help.
phxmark123

Unread postby Scotty » March 10th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Hi

If you register your copy of MBAM that should give you real-time protection against malware.

Did you run the McAfee and Norton removal tools first. If not they are below.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

• Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
    • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
    • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
    • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
    • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
    • Click OK

• Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program. If you want to help the developer of the program and get more information about what the programs that you see in Winpatrol please check out Winpatrol Plus. It does not need a new download.

• You should be using Internet Explorer v. 7. Please read and follow the recommendations at this site. http://surfthenetsafely.com/ieseczone8.htm

• Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

• Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least a few times a week (Once a day is a good idea). If you do not update your anti virus software it will not be able to catch new variants that come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. Windows Firewall is not recommended.
    Be restrictive with granting access to the Internet. If you are unsure if the program really needs the access, test it by denying the access and see if this has any negative effects. If not, make the block permanent.

• Never run two Antivirus programs or two Firewalls at the same time. They can interfere with each other and cause problems.

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently or better yet set computer for automatic updates.

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

• Read and follow the suggestions given at this web site by Miekiemoes http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miek ... ntion.html that will give you more information on some of the points above.

• Please check out Tony Klein's article "How did I get infected in the first place?"
Scotty
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Elrond » March 12th, 2008, 10:18 am