Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

PLEASE HELP ME WITH LIMEWIRE WORM

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: PLEASE HELP ME WITH LIMEWIRE WORM

Unread postby Katana » December 10th, 2007, 6:37 am

Now we are getting somewhere :)
They are showing in the search list, that does not mean they are still on your machine.

Lets see if this gets rid of them

CCleaner
Please download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.
  • Double click on the ccsetup.exe file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Click next to use the default install location.
  • Under Install Options, choose all the default settings
  • Click Install then finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
  • If you use either the Firefox or Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
    deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours."
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Issues" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items. Click on Issues and make sure Registry Integrity is UNchecked!
  • Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Taylor » December 10th, 2007, 11:45 am

Hi,

I ran the cleaner and made the appropriate checks like you told me. Nothing has changed though. The files are still their. I ran the scan a few times even at a slower speed and it deleted what it had to and that was it. I told it to delete all cookies as well. When I went to type in my user name to get in here, my computer gave me two options for my name like it normally does. (It remembered my username) :-( confused...What should I do?

I am also having a really tough time deleting CS3. Every time I try to uninstall it pops up a window that goes through a series of actions to install. NO THIS IS NOT from LW....It was given to me by a friend who had a expired expiration on it so it never worked but got downloaded into the computer.

FIRST things first though, erasing those files... :mrgreen:
Taylor

Unread postby Katana » December 10th, 2007, 2:41 pm

I have had a consult, ( vista not being a strong point of mine ) and this has been suggested

Rebuild the Index for Instant Search:
  • Click Start > Control Panel.
  • Double-click Indexing Options.
  • Click Advanced.
  • On the Index Settings tab, click Rebuild.
  • Click OK to confirm.
This will take some time but files no longer on the computer will be purged from the index.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Taylor » December 10th, 2007, 6:26 pm

I LOVE YOU!

They are all gone from what I see. You stuck by me every step of the way and you truly helped me with everyone of my concerns. I cant thank you enough!!!

Is it safe to enter in passwords and all that other good stuff? Should I buy any special protection to avoid things like this from ever happening?

I am so happy!! thank you once again.

T
Taylor

Unread postby Katana » December 10th, 2007, 7:37 pm

I'm glad they are gone :)
Say a big thank you to Corrine for that tip :thumbup:

You appear to be clean, this infection works "best" on older operating systems.
Whilst it did install, none of the files were created that steal data.

As far as special protections go, unfortunately the best protection is safe surfing.
The main conduits of malware ( especially the very nasty ones ) is P2P software, you have no idea what you are actually downloading.
You've got Vista, make sure that User Account Control is on.
I know it is a pain having to accept the warnings all the time, but it is keeping you safe.

The only way to avoid it ever happening again is to turn your PC off and put it in a box.
The bad guys make a lot of money out of this game, so they are usually one step ahead.

Congratulations your logs look clean :D

Let’s see if I can help you keep it that way

First lets tidy up :D

Open OTMoveIt Click Cleanup,
it will now connect to the internet and get a list of files to delete.
When a box pops up click YES.

Delete any logs we have produced and empty your recycle bin

Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

Reset System Restore.
Now you should disable System restore to purge any infected files and then re-enable it,

Turn off System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Protection tab.
Uncheck the box under "available harddrives"
Click Apply,
Click Yes at the prompt and then click OK.
Restart your computer

Turn ON System Restore

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Protection tab.
Check the box under "available harddrives"
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Make sure UAC is on
Turn On User Account Control
This step is vital
  1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Under User Account and Family settings click on the "Add or remove user account".
  3. Click on one of the user accounts, for example you can use the Guest account.
  4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
  5. Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.
  6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to select the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
  7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.

The following is for information, please make sure that any program you use is Vista compatible

AntiSpyware
    AntiSpyware is not the same thing as Antivirus.
    Different AntiSpyware programs detect different things, so in this case it is recommended that you have more than one.
    You should only have one running all the time, the other/s should be used "on demand" on a regular basis.
    All of the programs in this list have a free version,
    it is worth paying for one and having "realtime" protection, unless you intend to do a manual scan often.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy <<< A must have program
    • It includes host protection and registry protection
    • A hosts file is a bit like a phone book, it points to the actual numeric address (i.e. the IP address) from the human friendly name of a website. This feature can be used to block malicious websites
  • a-squared Free <<< A good "realtime" or "on demand" scanner
  • AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 <<< A good "realtime" or "on demand" scanner
  • superantispyware <<< A good "realtime" or "on demand" scanner
  • Ad-Aware 2007 Free <<< A good "realtime" or "on demand" scanner

Prevention
    These programs don't detect malware, they help stop it getting on your machine in the first place.
    Each does a different job, so you can have more than one
  • Winpatrol
    • An excellent startup manager and then some !!
    • Notifies you if programs are added to startup
    • Allows delayed startup
    • A must have addition
  • SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
    • SpywareBlaster sets killbits in the registry to prevent known malicious activex controls from installing themselves on your computer.
  • SpywareGuard 2.2
    • SpywareGuard provides real-time protection against spyware.
    • Not required if you have other "realtime" antispyware or Winpatrol
  • ZonedOut
    • Formerly known as IE-SPYAD, adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers and marketers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer.
  • MVPS HOSTS
    • This little program packs a powerful punch as it blocks ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    • For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002.
    • Not required if you are using other host file protections

Internet Browsers
    Microsoft has worked hard to make IE.7 a more secure browser, unfortunately whilst it is still the leading browser of choice it will always be under attack from the bad guys.
    Using a different web browser can help stop malware getting on your machine.
    • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
      1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
      2. Click once on the Security tab
      3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
      4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
        • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
        • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
        • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
        • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
        • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
        • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
        • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
        • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
      5. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
    If you are still using IE6 then either update, or get one of the following.
    • FireFox
      • With many addons available that make customization easy this is a very popular choice
      • NoScript and AdBlockPlus addons are essential
    • Opera
      • Another popular alternative
    • Netscape
      • Another popular alternative
      • Also has Addons available

Cleaning Temporary Internet Files and Tracking Cookies
    Temporary Internet Files are mainly the files that are downloaded when you open a web page.
    Unfortunately, if the site you visit is of a dubious nature or has been hacked, they can also be an entry point for malware.
    It is a good idea to empty the Temporary Internet Files folder on a regular basis.

Tracking Cookies are files that websites use to monitor which sites you visit and how often.
    A lot of Antispyware scanners pick up these tracking cookies and flag them as unwanted.
    CAUTION :- If you delete all your cookies you will lose any autologin information for sites that you visit, and will need your passwords

Both of these can be cleaned manually, but a quicker option is to use a program
  • ATF Cleaner
    • Free and very simple to use
  • CCleaner
    • Free and very flexible, you can chose which cookies to keep

Also PLEASE read this article.....So How Did I Get Infected In The First Place

The last and most important thing I can tell you is UPDATE.
If you don't update your security programs (Antivirus, Antispyware even Windows) then you are at risk.
Malware changes on a day to day basis. You should update every week at the very least.

If you follow this advice then (with a bit of luck) you will never have to hear from me again :D

If you could post back one more time to let me know everything is OK, then I can have this thread archived.

Happy surfing K'
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Taylor » December 14th, 2007, 6:26 am

Hi K,

Thank you for the awesome advice. You rock! :lol:

I have the OTmove file on my computer but the actual program is not here. I can not find it. I have the logs of the files that it moved but no actual program to click on. Whats should I do.

I took your suggestions and downloaded all of the good stuff you recommended. It is hard to pick a real-time protection program being their are so many. Do you have a preference? I got from the post that you liked Spybot the best :?: ...What is your favorite?

Thank Corrine for me as well. You guys take the time out of your lifes to help people like me and for that I say thank you :compress:

T
Taylor

Unread postby Katana » December 14th, 2007, 6:49 am

You can just delete any OTMoveIt logs and/or file.

It is not so much that I like Spybot more than the others, it is just that it is a very good program to have and it covers a lot of areas.
It is an excellent baseline from which to build your security measures.
As for real time protection ( in no particular order)
A-Squared
AVG AS
Super AS
all have very good reputations.
They are all free to try, so why not try each one consecutively until the trial version runs out and then you can make your decision.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Re: One more problem

Unread postby Taylor » December 14th, 2007, 10:17 pm

I have a problem :( :(

So I downloaded the a-squared program after I sent the last post to you. It found about 54 cookies, a trojan in one of my HP games and somethings to do with the registry. So I copied a copy of the log and deleted all the "problems" that it recommended deleting. Well just after I did that my computer stopped working. It wouldn't let me open any windows and about 80% of what I was clicking on was not working. I then hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and tried to open the task manager and all I got was a black screen. So I restarted it and it started up like it normally does with all the scans and everything else running. (on a side note I have to close like 6-7 windows after it first starts up just to use the computer) When ever I restart and try clicking on certain windows to get rid of them only like 1/2 the window disappears and the rest is black, I cant click on any icons, and all it does now is get stuck....I can move my mouse but nothing works. I can not boot the task manager at all..This has been going on for the whole day!!!

I pressed F8 and asked it to boot from the last successful boot time and this worked a little better only to have the samethings happen after I closed all the start-up windoes. I FINALLY just worked my way up to Firefox to type this letter now after 20times of trying. I have a feeling I might have erased something in that a-squared log it found. I will send this now and then follow with the log from a-squared as I dont want it to get stuck when I start searching for the file. SORRY for the long post and please rally with Corrin and tell her I need your guys help one last time. :o
Taylor

Unread postby Taylor » December 14th, 2007, 10:19 pm

a-squared Anti-Malware - Version 3.0
Last update: 12/14/2007 2:45:02 AM

Scan settings:

Objects: Memory, Traces, Cookies, C:\, D:\
Scan archives: On
Heuristics: On
ADS Scan: On

Scan start: 12/14/2007 2:46:12 AM

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\realvnc detected: Trace.Registry.VNC
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\realvnc\winvnc4 detected: Trace.Registry.VNCServer
Key: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1645411277-3239267054-1436179895-1001\software\realvnc\vncviewer4 detected: Trace.Registry.VNCViewer
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:16 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:35 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:51 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:52 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:53 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:54 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:55 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:57 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:58 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:59 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:60 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:62 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:68 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:71 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:72 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:83 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:84 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:87 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:88 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:89 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:90 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:91 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:95 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:96 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:124 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:129 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:130 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:131 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:132 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:133 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:141 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:144 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:154 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:155 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:162 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:171 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:172 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:175 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:178 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:186 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:188 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:194 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:195 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:201 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:202 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:211 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:212 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:218 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:219 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:222 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:225 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:228 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:231 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:238 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Users\Taylor\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0ix9nx0u.default\cookies.txt:239 detected: Trace.TrackingCookie
C:\Program Files\HP Games\WWII Tank Commander\tankWWII.exe detected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.IstBar.gen
C:\Program Files\HP Games\WWII Tank Commander\tankWWIIsafemode.exe detected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.IstBar.gen
C:\Program Files\PC-Doctor 5 for Windows\pcdrmodem.p5x detected: Heuristic.Dialer.RAS

Scanned

Files: 323921
Traces: 274285
Cookies: 344
Processes: 75

Found

Files: 3
Traces: 3
Cookies: 55
Processes: 0
Registry keys: 0

Scan end: 12/14/2007 4:20:44 AM
Scan time: 1:34:32
Taylor

Unread postby Katana » December 14th, 2007, 10:32 pm

There is nothing in that log that should be causing those problems, however,
it may be a case that something on your system is not playing well with A-Squared.
I would either uninstall it or do a system restore to before you installed it and see if that helps.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » December 23rd, 2007, 3:03 pm

Glad we could be of assistance.