Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Request for real-time protection and effective spyware prog.

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Request for real-time protection and effective spyware prog.

Unread postby Minh Tran » November 20th, 2007, 7:34 pm

please, I need some help trying to get an effective anti-spyware program.
Please try not to recomend a $150 product...
I've heard that webroot anti spyware is good.
Recomendations are very important..

The products I have now,
trend micro anti virus - out of date
trenmicro anti spyware - out of date
window washer
Minh Tran

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Request for real-time protection and effective spyware prog.

Unread postby Elrond » November 23rd, 2007, 3:48 am

Moved as the room you posted it is for reportin Security progrm updates. :)

The following is freeware although there are paid versions of the same that will do somewhat more.

Anti Virus Software

Anti-virus software are programs that detect, cleanse, and erase harmful virus files on a computer, Web server, or network.
Unchecked, virus files can unintentionally be forwarded to others, including trading partners and thereby spreading infection. Because new viruses regularly emerge, anti-virus software should be updated frequently. Anti-virus software can scan the computer memory and disk drives for malicious code. They can alert the user if a virus is present, and will clean, delete (or quarantine) infected files or directories. Please download a free anti-virus software from one these excellent vendors NOW:

1) Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
-Free anti-virus software for Windows.
-Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
2) avast! 4 Home Edition
-Anti-virus program for Windows.
-The home edition is freeware for noncommercial users.
3) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
-Free edition of the AVG anti-virus program for Windows.

Firewall
As the term conveys, a firewall is an extra layer of security installed onto computers, which restricts access to systems from the outside world. Firewalls protect against hackers and malicious intruders. I want you to download a free firewall NOW from one of these excellent vendors:

1) ZoneAlarm
2) Agnitum
3) Sunbelt/Kerio
4) Comodo

If you are using the built-in Windows XP firewall, it is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a mediocre firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution. Remember to use only one firewall at the same time.

Winpatroll
This program is worth while having: http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

There are many more but this is a start.

Take apeek at this Website: http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miek ... ntion.html
Elrond
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby turn 5 » November 23rd, 2007, 4:34 am

Minh Tran wrote:please, I need some help trying to get an effective anti-spyware program.
Please try not to recomend a $150 product...
I've heard that webroot anti spyware is good.
Recomendations are very important..

The products I have now,
trend micro anti virus - out of date
trenmicro anti spyware - out of date
window washer

Hi

Yes Webroot Spysweeper is a very good program but they are many free programs too.As Elrond said you also need a firewall and Anti-virus software though.

So to keep your computer clean download ONE firewall and ONE Anti-virus from Elrond's post.

Then you should get Anti-spyware software.Anti-Spyware software will clean and protect your PC
from harmful spyware and more.

Please download one to help protect your PC.They are all FREE.

1)AVG anti-spyware.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://free ... 4jcpjr1ulQ

2)Ad-aware 2007.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... GJ6aY3Hd1Q

3)Spybot search and destroy.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Safe surfing. 8)
turn 5

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » November 23rd, 2007, 4:48 am

For the average user, AVG or avast! is good enough. AntiVir for the more advanced, as its heuristics is really advanced. If you don't know what you are doing, you can screw up your system.

As for firewall, ZoneAlarm free is one of the easiest to use. For more advanced users, Comodo and Kerio are good. I prefer the latter as it's much more similar to Sygate. Comodo is also Vista compatible and I'm using it on a Vista. No problems there. :)

For real-time monitors, I use Spybot Teatimer.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby random/random » November 23rd, 2007, 5:16 pm

If you want free products:

Antivir antivirus
Comodo firewall
Spywareblaster
Spybot search & destroy
a-squared (paid)
Winpatrol

Paid products:

Eset smart security suite
a-squared (paid)
Winpatrol (paid) & still with these two free products
Spywareblaster
Spybot search & destroy

If you can use it correctly, a HIPS product such as system safety monitor will provide excellent protection
random/random
Developer
Developer

Unread postby Alander » November 25th, 2007, 7:46 am

Take note avast antivirus and zone alarm firewall conflicts, please do not choose both at the same time, if u chose avast, dun use zone alarm firewall, and vice versa
Alander

Unread postby Simon V. » November 25th, 2007, 10:59 am

Alander wrote:Take note avast antivirus and zone alarm firewall conflicts, please do not choose both at the same time, if u chose avast, dun use zone alarm firewall, and vice versa

Hmm... Can you explain that a little bit more? I'm using avast! and ZoneAlarm together without problems, in what way do they conflict?
Simon V.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Alander » November 27th, 2007, 11:14 am

i am not sure y urs do not conflict, maybe its the free one, but when i installed zone alarm fw (the paid version which came along with zone alarm anti spyware, which i got from the tuesday offer some1 posted in debating chamber), my avast got disabled, avast reports that it conflicts with serveral shields, conflicts with zone alarm fw and i must disable one of zone alarm firewall capabilities to enable my shields again. And the worst thing is if i do not disable one of the capabilities, all my shields gets disabled.
Alander

Unread postby Techie-Micheal » December 11th, 2007, 1:32 pm

Elrond wrote:Firewall
As the term conveys, a firewall is an extra layer of security installed onto computers, which restricts access to systems from the outside world. Firewalls protect against hackers and malicious intruders.
This'll probably not put me in a good light here, but small thing. Firewalls, real firewalls, do ingress and egress filtering. You are speaking of just ingress, which is all fine and dandy, but that's part of the problem with Windows' own firewall - it only does ingress filtering by default.
Techie-Micheal

Unread postby Alander » December 13th, 2007, 2:29 pm

The built-in Windows XP firewall, is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a mediocre firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution. Remember to use only one firewall at the same time.
Alander

Unread postby Techie-Micheal » December 13th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Alander wrote:The built-in Windows XP firewall, is not recommended as it does not block outgoing connections. This means that any malware on your computer is free to "phone home" for more instructions. Simply put, Windows XP contains a mediocre firewall. This firewall is NO replacement for a dedicated software solution. Remember to use only one firewall at the same time.
That's what I just said. :)
Techie-Micheal

Unread postby Alander » December 14th, 2007, 1:40 pm

some of the words u used are too technical not everyone will understand ingress and egress filtering

you have to understand that some people here have no technical knowledge about computers and firewall, and the aim of the university is to provide help to everyone, including those with no technical knowledge..

Some of those words like ingress and egress filtering will probably knock users out, they will probaby ask "what are those??"

The windows in-built firewall has a flaw, yes and we all know that, it does provides protection but only half of it. That is m$ design and nothing much we could do about it.. however when posting to the general public, you should avoid technical jargons
Alander

Unread postby Techie-Micheal » December 14th, 2007, 2:37 pm

Alander wrote:some of the words u used are too technical not everyone will understand ingress and egress filtering

you have to understand that some people here have no technical knowledge about computers and firewall, and the aim of the university is to provide help to everyone, including those with no technical knowledge..

Some of those words like ingress and egress filtering will probably knock users out, they will probaby ask "what are those??"

The windows in-built firewall has a flaw, yes and we all know that, it does provides protection but only half of it. That is m$ design and nothing much we could do about it.. however when posting to the general public, you should avoid technical jargons
I know, my intention was to clarify that what you said was explaining what I meant. :)
Techie-Micheal

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions