Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Please Help. I've lost control of my mouse and other proble

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Please Help. I've lost control of my mouse and other proble

Unread postby az_critter » October 20th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Please help. I've lost control of my mouse and I'm having problems with my computer which are getting worse.

My mouse jumps all over the place when I try to move it. It right clicks, opening properties windows and other functions, even when I don't hit the button. It highlights text and does other functions, even though I'm not wanting it to. The cursor also changes into some kind of autmatic scroller or page mover.
I'm also having problems with my computer freezing up and the window sizes changing, all on thier own.
The only way I can get control back, is by opening the task manager using Cntrl>Alt>Delete. Then it is still frozen, and I have to hit open task manager button a couple of times to open it up. When it opens, the problems stop for a couple of minutes, but then they start right back again. It seems to be much more frequent and severe each time. This all started today.

I have run NortonSystemWorks (fully updated), Spybot (fully updated), LavaSoft Ad-Aware (fully updated), both your links for http://security.symantec.com and http://housecall.trendmicro.com, Spyware Doctor, and A2 Free. I made sure everything was fully updated and I ran them one after the other, rebooting in between each. My mouse is new, but I checked it for any debris anyway, but it is clean and lacking defects.

After doing all of the above, I'm still having the same problems with the same degree of severity. Here is my HijackThis log. Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:26:41 PM, on 10/20/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\SDTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... eVisitor=1
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\SDTrayApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://signup.myspace.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.phantasyrpg.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.torncity.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.travian.com
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar ... vSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar ... /cabsa.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D2401E75-6D16-4125-8683-13CD9B96635F}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220
O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
az_critter

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Katana » October 24th, 2007, 10:13 am

Hello and welcome to the forums

My name is Katana and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please observe these rules while we work:
1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
2. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
3. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"
(Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

If you can do those three things, everything should go smoothly :D

Update Your Windows XP.
You are currently using an unpatched version of Windows XP.
Before attempting to remove malware, it is CRITICAL that you update to Service Pack 1a.
Get SP1a here : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx
You should also get SP2, but NOT NOW, rather only after your machine is clean.
After updating your Windows to SP1a, post a new HijackThis log please, using the Reply button.
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby az_critter » October 25th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Hello Katana. Thank you for replying to my cry for help, lol. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. My computer has been down for a couple of days. I have had a series of problems, since I posted here. Right now, I plan to install the XP SP1a and then I need to reinstall some of my programs. I will explain more later. I hope to have this all done tonight and a new HijackThis log for you as well.

Thank you for the link to the SP1a. :)
az_critter

Unread postby Katana » October 25th, 2007, 6:05 pm

No problem :)
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby az_critter » October 26th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Hello Katana,

I've got an even more serious problem right now. I'll try to explain everything that's happened to the best of my ability.

It all started with the mouse "virus" problem. Like I mentioned originally, my mouse was doing all kinds of weird things and my computer was freezing up. This continued to progress after I wrote the post. It got so bad, my comp was freezing up every few seconds, and I was afraid it was going to completely crash.

I decided to format my hard drive, before any real damage could be done to it. First, because my cd drives were no longer working either, I moved the files I didn't want to lose, onto a slave hard drive. Then I proceeded to try to format a 3rd hard drive, so that I might use it as a backup if something happened to my 1st drive.

Well, that turned out to be futile. After 2 days of trying to format drive 3, I only got it formatted 22%. It kept finding bad clusters and I had to be here to push the enter key each time for the bad cluster to be fixed. I pushed that darn enter key over 300 times and then the comp froze up while formatting at the 22% mark. So, I gave up on drive 3 and went on to format drive 1.

Wholla! Drive 1 formatted beautifully!
However, I noticed right away that my mouse was still doing all of the same things and again my comp froze up. I started thinking "How???? In formatting the drive, all viruses and malware would have been wiped clean!?!". That's when it hit me.
I reallized then, the whole problem was directly related to my mouse. I reallized I had just switched the mouse right before all of this started happening. The mouse must have been conflicting with windows, or my motherboard, or something. Well the reason I switched my mouse in the first place, was because I lost a little tiny optical bead in my carpet, when I was cleaning my original mouse. So, I couldn't switch back to that one, but luckily, I had another stored away.

So, I connected the 3rd mouse. Wholla! My comp stopped freezing up and my mouse stopped tripping!
I continued to finish installing my windows and the SP1a, as you suggested. I installed my Norton System Works and then proceeded to install and run each of the programs you guys recommended. Everything was going smoothly and I was just about to do a Hijack This log. I rebooted my comp one last time, before doing the log. One last time.........., I thought.

After my comp rebooted, I noticed my Auto Norton Antivirus was disabled. I tried to open my Norton System Workes and saw it was missing features and inoperable. I tried to reinstall my NSW, but as you may already know, I couldn't reinstall it, because of residue Norton registry entrys and files left on my comp. I tried my windows system restore, but it left my Norton still disabled and inoperable.
I then tried deleting all files through the search program, but some files denied me access. Well, it happens that I had a notepad saved with registry entries to delete when trying to wipe Norton off the comp. I've used it before, and it has worked wonderfully. This time, those registry entries were nonexistent, but I didn't know why, at this point. So, feeling confident with my past experience of dealing with the registry, I started trying to find other norton and symantec registry entries and started deleting them.
Big mistake!

My comp started crashing. I again proceeded to reformat my hard drive (now I know I may have had to reformat anyway, just to get the Norton reinstalled). I reinstalled all windows and malware programs, and also ran them all, rebooting each time. I decided to install Norton last, seeing how as I didn't know what had caused it to become inoperable the last time. I've used Spyware Doctor and Lavasoft Ad-Aware in conjunction with it before, so I knew it couldn't be either of those. So, my first test after installing everything and Norton, was to run A2free and look for possible norton registry entries and files picked up by A2free.

So, I ran the A2 and it didn't show me anything other than a couple of cookies. Then I noticed the following phrase below the window of the cookies which were found; "Suspect files were deleted during the scan."!

Aaarrrggghhh!! I still had my Norton as operable at this point, because I had not rebooted my comp yet. I tried to system restore to just at the Norton installation, but to no avail. When the system restored, my Norton was inoperable again. So, I undid the restore, bring my Norton back to life, as the undo put me back to my comp not being rebooted yet.

And that is where I am now. My Norton is currently working, but as soon as I do anything that restarts my comp, I will lose my Norton and will probably have to reformat. :roll:

Currently, everything is working absolutely awesome, except my current dillema of my Norton. I obviously plan to uninstall A2 and never use it again, but I don't want to do anything else right now, untill I get my Norton problem fixed first. I really reeeaaalllllyyyyy don't want to have to reformat and reinstall everything again.

So, can you come up with a way to fix my new problem?

Here's a new Hijack This log, just in case it is usefull to you.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:19:32 AM, on 10/26/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyE ... trksid=m37
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE" -quiet
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
az_critter

Unread postby Katana » October 26th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Well you should certainly be free of malware after all that reformatting :)

As to why Norton dies when you reboot, I have got no idea at all.
Have you paid for Norton ?

There are a few free AV's that are comparable to Norton
(In my opinion they are better, Norton is a resource hog :) )

If you want to keep Norton and are still having problems with it,
you could use the removal tool to get rid of all traces before a reinstall
For future reference
Remove Norton

Please click HERE and follow the instructions to download and run the norton removal tool

Free AV list
AVG Free
Avira AntiVir
Avast
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby az_critter » October 26th, 2007, 12:28 pm

:lol:

I definitely don't have any malware left.

The reason it's going to die, is because A2 deleted some of Norton's registry entries and files, and when I reboot, those deletions will be put into effect.

Thanks for the link above. I will give it a try right now, and get back with you. :)
az_critter

Unread postby az_critter » October 26th, 2007, 1:13 pm

I'm back and very very happy!
Your link and the Norton Removal Tool worked like a charm! Thank you very much Katan!

I wish I'd had it all the other times, I've uninstalled Norton, as it was very quick and simple, and left no hassle norton files or registry entries on my comp.

I have reinstalled my NSW successfully and uninstalled the A2free program. I feel I can safely add my other files, back onto my comp now.
Thanks again! :)

By the way, I love my Norton System Works, but only because I have figured out how to install it, in a way that keeps it from being a resource hog.

Do the custom install and put the red X in front of the following features during the install;
Norton CleanSweep
Norton Ghost
Process Viewer
and put a red X in front of the following subfeatures of Norton Utilities;
Norton System Doctor
UnErase Wizard
Wipe Info
System Information

By choosing not to install those features, I get a wonderful AntiVirus and Utilities, which don't hog my comps resources. :)

Thanks so much again Katana for your patience and your help! :)
az_critter

Unread postby Katana » October 26th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Glad I could help :)
Here are a few tips on staying safe.

So How Did I Get Infected In The First Place

If you can see a program in the must have section that you have never seen or used then get it!

The last and most important thing I can tell you is UPDATE.
If you don't update your security programs (Antivirus, Antispyware even Windows) then you are at risk.
Malware changes on a day to day basis. You should update every week at the very least.

If you follow this advice then (with a bit of luck) you will never have to hear from me again :D
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby az_critter » October 26th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Thanks for the above link. I will make sure to bookmark it.

3. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"

So I guess this means I have the "all clear". :D
az_critter

Unread postby Katana » October 26th, 2007, 2:15 pm

You were all clear when you reformatted :lol:

Happy surfing :salute:
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby az_critter » October 26th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Thanks again! You were a Godsend just in supplying the Norton Removal Tool and the wonderful support! I will definitely look to you and the other wonderful pros here, the next time I have problems. I will also send many referrals your way, for years to come! :D
az_critter

Unread postby Gary R » October 30th, 2007, 6:36 pm