Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Av System Care popups

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Katana » September 3rd, 2007, 1:02 pm

Hi Tom,
YES !!!! that got it :)

Congratulations your logs look clean :D

Let’s see if I can help you keep it that way

First lets tidy up :D

Please delete the following
Kaspersky log
TotalScan log
SFP.zip
SFP.exe
WhoAmI.exe
regfix.reg

I would also recommend that you clear the cookies in Firefox.
Please note:- This will clear any auto logins you have, so make sure you make a note of any passwords
Tools >> Options >> Privacy(tab) >> Clear Now

Open OTMoveIt Click Cleanup,
it will now connect to the internet and get a list of files to delete.
When a box pops up click YES.

Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows
  • Click Start > My Computer > Organise menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK

Now you should disable System restore to purge any infected files and then re-enable it,

Reset System Restore.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Restart your computer

Turn ON System Restore

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Un-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Turn On User Account Control
This step is vital
  1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Under User Account and Family settings click on the "Add or remove user account".
  3. Click on one of the user accounts, for example you can use the Guest account.
  4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
  5. Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.
  6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to select the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
  7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.

Also PLEASE read this article

So How Did I Get Infected In The First Place

If you can see a program in the must have section that you have never seen or used then get it!
Check that any programs are Vista Compatible

The last and most important thing I can tell you is UPDATE.
If you don't update your security programs (Antivirus, Antispyware even Windows) then you are at risk.
Malware changes on a day to day basis. You should update every week at the very least.

If you follow this advice then (with a bit of luck) you will never have to hear from me again :D

If you could post back one more time to let me know everything is OK, then I can have this thread archived.

Happy surfing K'
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby TomD22 » September 3rd, 2007, 4:22 pm

Yep, I seem to be clean.

Thanks so much for all your assistance. I'm astonished and hugely gratified to have found such thoroughly professional help so willingly given.

Oh and also: your instructions are for XP again :P On vista for restore points, it's the "System Protection" tab, and uncheck the box under "available harddrives" (as there is no "turn on/turn off" box anymore, and no system restore tab on it's own), and it'll popup a dialogue box asking you if you're sure you want to turn system restore off. Hope that'll save someone else in the future a few mins headscratching, heh.

I now have to do all this all over again on the other computers in my household (both of which show an fcrnli.exe running on the hjt scan, neither of which have shown any actual symptoms of infection).

Hopefully I can manage to clean those up myself now, with all the instructions already given - however, if I should need to ask for help (or at least ask you to look at a hjt log when I think I'm clean, just to be sure) would you prefer I start a new thread or could I add anything I need to here?
TomD22

Unread postby Elrond » September 4th, 2007, 1:39 am

If you need help with one of your other computers please start a new topic and someone will help you.