Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Obsolete graphics

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Obsolete graphics

Unread postby Hepzibah » July 25th, 2007, 10:20 am

I don't suppose anyone would have a clue where to look for an obsolete type of card, AGP x4 I'm told, 1.5v, or would it be just impossible now?
Hepzibah

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 25th, 2007, 11:21 am

It isn't so obsolete, you can try second hand computer hardware shops. Most motherboards have a few PCI slots, try buying a PCI card if an AGP 4x 1.5V graphics card isn't really available.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Hepzibah » July 25th, 2007, 12:34 pm

Its just I'm at my wits end about graphics, I've been to 100 sites and heard 100 different things involving sequences of letters and numbers. My comp. is 7 years old if its a day so I didn't want to waste time and money getting something useless. Shops seem to be dying but I might get lucky. :) Just wondered if there was a magic site that would tell me what card, what numbers and letters, etc. By the time I understand graphics cards we'll have developed those big throbbing brains.
Hepzibah

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 25th, 2007, 2:20 pm

As old as my PC. :lol:

You might get lucky, though I don't know how lucky. I haven't been able to get one in Singapore either, I don't expect you to be able to get one in the UK.

You can try getting an AGP 8x 1.5V card. In theory, it will work, in reality, some doesn't work and fry your motherboard into crispy chips.

If you aren't a gamer, just get a PCI graphics card, they are aplenty. :)
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Hepzibah » July 25th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Thanks, I don't play anything 'high end', but according to the manufacturers I'm a bit limited. Probably easier to get new PC though you get attached to old electrical things like loyal servants. :)
Hepzibah

Unread postby Nellie2 » July 25th, 2007, 5:01 pm

How about Ebay?

http://tinyurl.com/2sn9sx
Nellie2
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Axephilic » July 25th, 2007, 5:13 pm

What are your computer specs? If they aren't that good I wouldn't recommend spending your money on a new graphics card; just buy a new computer.

My two cents,
Adam
Axephilic
Retired Graduate

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 25th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Hepzibah wrote:Thanks, I don't play anything 'high end', but according to the manufacturers I'm a bit limited. Probably easier to get new PC though you get attached to old electrical things like loyal servants. :)

Yup, it's much more easier to get a new PC. I don't think you are limited unless your motherboard really has no PCI slots.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Hepzibah » July 26th, 2007, 2:08 pm

Thanks for the tips, :D its a minefield isn't it? Its either spend £1.50 on ebay or a lot more on new PC. Think I'll try the £1.50 first. I still haven't got a clue about them!
Hepzibah

Unread postby blackmirror » August 7th, 2007, 4:43 am

http://www.crucial.com has an online scanner for graphics cards

dont know whether it will help you
blackmirror

Unread postby Hepzibah » August 7th, 2007, 2:43 pm

Thanks, I decided to let 'nature take its course' and use this till I have to buy whole new comp, then I can say 'just put a card in it' and that will be it for 7 more years. :D
Hepzibah

Unread postby blackmirror » August 7th, 2007, 2:45 pm

funny my pc has been playing up
My graphics card died ATI Radeon 9000

It seems to work ok without it lol
blackmirror

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » August 7th, 2007, 9:41 pm

Your motherboard probably has on-board graphics.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Hepzibah » August 9th, 2007, 11:25 am

It does apparently, I couldn't believe I had it all that time and didn't know!!! Some people here would be shocked perhaps? So I thought I'd do something about it but it does seem easier to wait till it conks out.
Hepzibah

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » August 9th, 2007, 11:30 am

Shocked? No, considering what I studied and what I work as. :lol:
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next

Return to General Discussions