Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Setting up laptop Internet.

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Setting up laptop Internet.

Unread postby curlylad » July 24th, 2007, 3:39 pm

OK guys so I've been bought an early birthday present, a Wi-Fi laptop.

OK, so the desktop PC is upstairs, the laptop is to be used downstairs.

At the moment I'm using an ADSL modem, what do I need to buy now to set this up (sorry for my ignorance but I'm primitive when it comes to hardware issues).

Are there any speed issues using Wi-Fi, in other words are these wi-fi ADSL modems the same speed as if I was using an ADSL broadband connected to both the desktop and the laptop ?

Do they have varying speeds dependant on what price you pay ?
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 24th, 2007, 11:25 pm

You will need a wireless router. Just set it up according to the manual. The desktop will connect as per usual to the router, but is using the WAN port if it's going to be a wired connection. Otherwise, it will have problems accessing the Net.

Securing the network wise, WEP/WPA is present for most routers. Some include WPA2. WEP still offers some sort of protection, but it's too easy to crack, in a matter of hours. WPA has several enhancements over WEP, but it basically works the same way as WEP... so it will be cracked in the same way as WEP.

WPA2 is not offered in Windows by default, and you will need a patch before you could use it.

Download link. Note: This link is for XP. I'm not so sure for Vista if you are using Vista.

If you intend to use WPA/WPA2, you will use WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. The other options are for enterprise users, of which normal users can't use as they have no server to authenticate with. PSK stands for Pre-Shared Key. Before connecting to a network, you will enter this key (which is like a password). If it's correct, you will be connected to your network.

If you would like your desktop to go wireless as well, you will need a wireless card (usually PCI) or a wireless adapter (usually USB). You need to get the right one. If your router says it supports 802.11B/G, you need to get a card or adapter that does so. Getting a 802.11A card will not work with your router, simply because it uses another frequency. For PCI cards, you will need to install the necessary drivers before it will work. You will need to check the manual for the instructions and follow as stated. Doing the reverse doesn't help.

Speed wise, what is stated as the maximum theoretical speed, you will never get it. Theories are theories. In reality, you can expect that the speed is around half of the theoretical speed stated.

When you use it for surfing, it will be capped by your ISP, depending on your plan. Say you have a 1Mbps broadband plan, that's the maximum it will go. It will not even be half.

Wireless surfing tends to be slower than their wired counterparts because they can only be receiving or sending at any one time, not both.

You don't pay for the varying speeds in wireless routers, but your ADSL plan.

One thing, don't get a Linksys router. As much as they are easy to use, they are very unstable. Not that I hate it, I used to like it. But with each firmware upgrade, it causes more problems than needed.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby curlylad » July 25th, 2007, 6:04 pm

OK I purchased a NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router (DG834GT).
One of the main resons I purchased this one was because it clearly says
"Easy Setup - Smart Wizard gets you connected in fewer than 5 clicks, I've been trying to install this going step by step verbatim for the past 5 hours and still no-where :twisted:
I click in the help section and it says I need to find my DHCP settings but doesn't tell me how to find them or what they are.
I'm now ready to disembowel someone unless I get help ! :)
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby curlylad » July 25th, 2007, 6:54 pm

UPDATE

I plugged my ordinary ADSL modem back in and was just fiddling around for an answer as you do and then I looked in device manager and noticed that 2 items had yellow question marks and exclamation marks on them

1) SM Bus Controller :shock:
2) Ethernet Controller :shock: :shock:

So, I realised that I needed to install my chipset drivers, how they became uninstalled or when is a complete mystery, so Ive done that and now we have no yellow question marks or exclamation marks in Device Manager. :)

So, after reboot still all ok but now in internet connections it shows
Local Area Connection, a network cable is unpluged so it now knows I have an ethernet controller that is working, tomorrow I'll try again to install the router but all looks promising now :) :)

I'll keep you all informed as I just know you're hanging on my every word ! :roll:
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 25th, 2007, 8:50 pm

curlylad wrote:OK I purchased a NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router (DG834GT).
One of the main resons I purchased this one was because it clearly says
"Easy Setup - Smart Wizard gets you connected in fewer than 5 clicks, I've been trying to install this going step by step verbatim for the past 5 hours and still no-where :twisted:
I click in the help section and it says I need to find my DHCP settings but doesn't tell me how to find them or what they are.
I'm now ready to disembowel someone unless I get help ! :)

Easy Setup is never easy. I missed this out. :oops:

Find out the default gateway of your router (In Command Prompt, type in ipconfig). Type in the default gateway IP address into your browser and fiddle with the settings there. The DHCP settings are also there. ;)

Login ID and password are stated in the manual as well.

So, after reboot still all ok but now in internet connections it shows
Local Area Connection, a network cable is unpluged so it now knows I have an ethernet controller that is working, tomorrow I'll try again to install the router but all looks promising now

I hope you have plugged in your LAN cable after reinstalling the drivers. Because this means the cable has been unplugged. Either that, shut down your PC, turn off all power, wait for a while then plug in the cable and start up the PC.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby curlylad » July 26th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Sorry to do your head in about this but my knowledge is embarrasingly zero when it comes to such matters :oops:

OK,the ipconfig cmd bought up this:-
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\BRIAN SORAHAN>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

PPP adapter Internet ADSL:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.73.88.108
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 79.73.88.108

C:\Documents and Settings\BRIAN SORAHAN>

What do I need to do with this info ?

The ID and password I have to hand, no probs there.

Now plugging in this LAN cable, are you refering to the ethernet cable that came with the router that plugs into the back of the PC ?
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 26th, 2007, 8:52 pm

curlylad wrote:Sorry to do your head in about this but my knowledge is embarrasingly zero when it comes to such matters :oops:

Never mind, I've met worse. :lol:

curlylad wrote:OK,the ipconfig cmd bought up this:-
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\BRIAN SORAHAN>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

PPP adapter Internet ADSL:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.73.88.108
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 79.73.88.108

C:\Documents and Settings\BRIAN SORAHAN>

I don't think you are able to connect to the router in any ways. That IP address is public, and is assigned by your ISP.

Your router isn't connected... it's still showing not connected.

curlylad wrote:What do I need to do with this info ?

This info is not of much use until you can configure the router.

curlylad wrote:Now plugging in this LAN cable, are you refering to the ethernet cable that came with the router that plugs into the back of the PC ?

Yup.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Vino Rosso » July 27th, 2007, 6:22 am

curlylad wrote:OK I purchased a NETGEAR Super Wireless ADSL Modem Router (DG834GT).

Same as mine!
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » July 27th, 2007, 7:38 am

Image link

Once connected, the LED lights will be up.

1. Open Command Prompt and type in ipconfig. Type in the Default Gateway IP address into the browser.

The address should be a private set of IP address.

The list of private IP address is here: http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/privip.htm

The ipconfig command will return something like this:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

2. You will be prompted to log in. Refer to the router's manual for the username and password to log in and start configuring from there.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Vino Rosso » July 27th, 2007, 8:06 am

Hi Guys

I haven't read the thread all the way through but here's the order I did things:
  1. Initial set-up
    1. Connect relevant leads to router - telephone line, ethernet from computer, and power
    2. Open browser and go to 192.168.0.1
    3. Enter username: admin Password: password
    4. In Basic Settings, enter your ADSL login and password. Set the idle time to 0 mins. Click Apply
    5. In Router Status, click Connection Status. If not connected, click Connect
    6. Now if you type ipconfig in a command window, you should see the computer's allocated IP address (probably 192.168.0.2)
  2. Getting wireless working
    1. In Wireless Settings, set the following:
      Name = NETGEAR
      Region = Europe
      Channel = 11
      Mode = b/g
      WAP = Enable WAP (untick the rest)
      Security Options = WPA-PSK
      WPA-PSK Security Encryption = [type your network key - your own pass phrase]
    2. Click Apply
    3. On your laptop, start your wireless manager and search for a network
    4. When the network is found, click connect and you will be prompted to enter the pass phrase
    5. The laptop should now be connected to the router and typing ipconfig on the laptop will reveal its IP address (probably 192.168.0.3)
  3. In Attached Devices, you should be able to see both computers you've connected to the router. Other menus in the router setup will allow you to configure IP address ranges, set passwords, configure the firewall, log access, etc.
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Katana » July 27th, 2007, 10:34 am

You may need to tell your browser to connect through LAN before it will go to

I had to when I changed over to a router
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Trogan » July 27th, 2007, 10:51 pm

I found this Microsoft article. It basically explains what everyone else has said here:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredon ... setup.mspx

Hope it helps.
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Nick-YF19 » July 28th, 2007, 12:48 am

I don't have too much time to go into detail, but it looks like your PC is set up for PPPoE. If you look in Control Panel> Network Connections, you'll see a section called Broadband above LAN or High Speed Internet. There should be a WAN Miniport(PPPoE) there. It's a virtual port that is directing the network traffic that is going through the actual LAN ethernet port. So the computer thinks there is nothing in the Local Area Connection and reports media disconnected. Meanwhile, the PPPoE connection is getting a valid IP address.

If you connect to the WAN port on the router, then your computer is trying to give the username and password to the router. The router doesn't know what to do and sees nothing. The router is using DHCP, so your computer should be using DHCP to connect to it. Once you do have the router set up, that's what you want the computer to use. Your router will handle the PPPoE once it's set up. You'll have to enter the username and password into the router.

So, when you do connect the PC to the router, what IP address does the LAN connection have? Easy way to check is to right click on the LAN connection in Network Connections and select Status. On the new window, select the Support tab. There you'll have the IP address. If it has 192.168.x.x, then you are connected to the router. If it's 168.254.x.x or all zeros, then you will have to disable the PPPoE. Right click on the PPPoE connection and select "cancel as default connection." If still no go, then make a system restore point. Then right click on the PPPoE connection and delete it. You may need to reboot to fully flush the old connection. After that, you should be able to connect to the router and then configure it.

If you are still having problems, you can use System Restore to get back your old settings. If that doesn't work, the go back to Network Connections and select create a new connection. In the wizard, select the option to configure manually and my ISP requires a username and password. Enter the appropriate info and that should get you back online.
Nick-YF19
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby curlylad » July 28th, 2007, 3:25 am

SOLVED

OK, I had a good look through all your suggestions and all of them have helped, eventually.
I left the PC for a while to have a think and decided to look a bit deeper and the first thing I thought about was to check that the ethernet on my PC was functioning correctly. So I went into device manager and low and behold there were yellow question marks and exclamation marks next to SM Bus Controller and Ethernet Controller. I tried to re-install the drivers but even after I allowed the system to check the Internet for the correct drivers it said that it could not find the right ones.
I thought that it was probably therefore to do with the chipset drivers not being installed, I then went to the nVidia web site and found the drivers for my chipset and installed them, I rebooted and tried the device manager again and there were no yellow question or exclamation marks. :) Haven't a clue when or how they became uninstalled though !
Next I went back and tried to install the NETGEAR router and I was up and running within 15 minutes. 8)

A really really big thanks to all of you that helped with this I very much appreciate it :notworthy:

Oh and Vino, I'm glad you provided the info on the security settings as that was to be my next question. ;)

As for the laptop I purchased well I believe I got a great deal, at the moment I work for Sainsburys and we have been given a 15% discount until the end of the month. Sainsburys have decided to stock the new Medion notebook http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/19 ... ainsburys/ for £499.00 so with the discount it was just under £425 :shock:

So far I think it is an amazing bit of kit and would recommend it if anyone was looking for a new notebook, I have a friend who has previously purchased a few Medion products including a desktop PC, External Hard Drive and a SAT NAV and said that he had to contact Medion customer services about a small problem with the PC and he said their operators and service were second to none.

Anyway enough waffling, thanks guys ! ;)
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Katana » July 28th, 2007, 11:46 am

As for the laptop I purchased well I believe I got a great deal, at the moment I work for Sainsburys and we have been given a 15% discount until the end of the month. Sainsburys have decided to stock the new Medion notebook http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/19 ... ainsburys/ for £499.00 so with the discount it was just under £425

I am an hour away from brum, so I should be there in 45 mins :lol:
That is a good deal !!! what are you going to do with 2GB of ram ?????
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Next

Return to General Discussions