Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

INFECTED WITH WINDOWS BUG?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

still trying

Unread postby ADIMEN » May 22nd, 2007, 3:16 am

I tried all the methods outlined but I still get the error message. Do my rpc services have to be started or what? because one of them and the BITS service were stopped when I checked

As for the system slowdown I ran some videos on youtube cuz that allways makes it spin and the only thing I noticed were that Services started using more cpu from 6 to 17 that only controls plug and play and event log also my avg started using about 40% cpu but that only lasted about 5-10 seconds and then went away. those are the only things I noticed happen when the disk started spinning other than firefox doubling in usage, even the process explorer starts taking up to 38% when hd is spinning
ADIMEN

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby silver » May 22nd, 2007, 5:00 am

Hi ADIMEN,

Have you changed any Windows Services settings away from their defaults? If so, please let me know the details in your next response.

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is necessary for Windows Update to work correctly, so if there is a problem with it, then that could explain the trouble. However, finding it not running isn't necessarily a problem, as it normally only runs on demand.

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service needs to be running for Windows to work normally, however the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator is not essential. Which one are you referring to?

Please check the startup settings of these services:
Press Start->Run, type services.msc into the box and press OK
Look down the list for the above mentioned services, and check their Startup Type against the following:
Background Intelligent Transfer - Manual
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - Manual

If any of these services have different startup types, change the setting to the one on the above list.
Do this by double-clicking the service name, change the Startup Type drop down as appropriate, and then pressing OK

When complete, close the services console, reboot your machine and try Windows Update again.

Do you have any limited user accounts on this machine?
You should be logged into an Administrator account to use Windows Update.

If it still doesn't work, please note the error(s) you receive and then check the Error Log for further information:
  • Press Start->Run, enter eventvwr.msc in the box and press OK
  • Select the System log and look for errors from the time of boot until the time of accessing Windows Update.
  • Please post the Event ID and the details of the error(s).

With regard to the disk usage problem - apart from opening an Adobe Flash Player in your browser (YouTube), is there any other way you can reliably make the problem occur?

Try uninstalling Adobe Flash Player and then re-installing it to see if that solves the problem:
There is a download on this page which can remove Adobe Flash Player plugin and ActiveX control from your machine:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgeb ... d=tn_14157

Make sure you close all web browsers when you use it. Also, check Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and remove Adobe Flash Player if listed.

Once you have removed it, reboot and install again from http://www.adobe.com/

Let me know how you get on :)
silver

sorry abot the delay

Unread postby ADIMEN » May 26th, 2007, 9:42 pm

ok so its not adobe there are several diff ways that get my hd spinning. but what they all have in common is that they are using alot of cpu when the auto updates take more than a couple mts it starts spinning I also tried running safe mode w/networking and went to youtube and it still started spinning. yeseterday I booted the comp and pressed f2 to go to options and while looking at the options the hd started spinning. basicly any cpu usage above 60-70% will set it off and it wouldnt be so bad if it would just stop afterwards but even when it goes back to low usage it wont stop spinning.

now to the error logs

07-05-26 15:37 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running stateiiok
07-05-26 15:37 SideBySide Error None 59 N/A D Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\PassLocker\PassLocker.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.
07-05-26 15:37 SideBySide Error None 59 N/A D Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
07-05-26 15:37 SideBySide Error None 32 N/A D Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

07-05-26 15:37 Service Control Manager Information None 7035 D\JA D The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.
07-05-26 15:37 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The Telephony service entered the running state.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The Terminal Services service entered the running state.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM D The Terminal Services service was successfully sent a start control.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The Computer Browser service entered the stopped state.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The Application Layer Gateway Service service entered the running state.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM D The Application Layer Gateway Service service was successfully sent a start control.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7036 N/A D The COM+ System Application service entered the running state.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM D The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start control.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Information None 7035 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM D The COM+ System Application service was successfully sent a start control.
07-05-26 15:36 Service Control Manager Error None 7000 N/A D The Remote Registry service failed to start due to the following error:
The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.
07-05-26 15:36 WMPNetworkSvc Information None 14204 N/A D Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' started.
07-05-26 15:36 avgntflt Information None 17 N/A D AVGNTFLT successfully loaded
07-05-26 15:35 EventLog Information None 6005 N/A D The Event log service was started.
07-05-26 15:35 EventLog Information None 6009 N/A D Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.

all these happened after booting up and launching firefox
thank you for your continuing help with this problem.
ADIMEN

Unread postby silver » May 27th, 2007, 12:52 am

Hi ADIMEN,

I've had a look at your system log and can't see anything that would explain the symptoms you are experiencing.

Unfortunately we haven't made much progress in resolving this issue, other than to confirm that it's not malware-related. I think that at this stage, the best and fastest solution for you is to post on a PC troubleshooting forum like PC Pitstop. PC Pitstop specializes in handling problems like this one so you are certain to get expert assistance and a speedy resolution is very likely. I recommend you follow the posting instructions at that site, and you could also provide them with a link to this thread for the experts there to see our discussion so far.

I have some suggestions for you to help keep your computer clean:

You should consider installing a Personal Firewall program. Even if you are behind a NAT router, I recommend you use firewall software as it will improve the security of your computer by monitoring and controlling outbound connections to the internet as well as inbound. There are various free packages available, I recommend Sunbelt Software's Kerio or Zone Alarm:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio
http://www.zonelabs.com/

IESPYADS helps protect you from malicious websites by placing a list of known bad websites in Internet Explorer's Restricted Zone. This Zone limits the capabilities of these websites including preventing them from installing software. This will compliment your security software and I recommend you install it:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

Please take care when downloading programs. One of the easiest ways to be infected is to download freeware/shareware programs which come laden with malware. Before downloading, it is crucial to check whether the source is reputable.
One way to check is to use McAfee SiteAdvisor. Copy the domain name into the space provided and SiteAdvisor will give you a report on the website which can help you decide if it is safe. They also have a toolbar for IE and Firefox which adds this functionality to your browser.

Find out how to prevent infection in the future
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?p=33687

Please post back to let me know you have read this, and if there are any further issues.
silver

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Unread postby ADIMEN » May 27th, 2007, 2:13 am

OK I appreciate you helping me narrow it down and hope pc pitstop is as helpfull. I downloaded the reccommended software and I plan on staying up to date on the windows downloads. thanks again!!
ADIMEN

Unread postby silver » May 27th, 2007, 2:35 am

You're very welcome and best of luck!
silver

Unread postby NonSuch » May 27th, 2007, 2:49 am

Glad we could be of assistance.