Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Pages slow to load (hijack this log included)

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Vino Rosso » April 29th, 2007, 11:08 am

Hi Brian

I suggest using your computer for a while and, if no problems with IE or Messenger are experienced, delete the two files msimg32.old and riched20.old.

Great News! Your log appears clean of malware and here's some valuable information that will help to keep it that way.

1 - All Clean
This is my general post for the 'All Clean' status however please advise on any problems you may still have before proceding with the following:-

a - Hide your System Files
These files are hidden to avoid accidental deletion so please follow these steps:

Click Start
Open My Computer
Select Tools > Folder Options > Select the View Tab
Uncheck Show hidden files and folders in the Hidden files and folders section
Select Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option
Click OK, OK

b - Reset your system restore points
This will remove any infected files that may have been backed up by Windows. Should you have problems, a tutorial is available >here<.
Please note that you need Administrator privileges to do the following:

Turn off System Restore
Start > right-click My Computer and select Properties
Click the System Restore tab
Tick Turn off System Restore
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer

Turn ON System Restore
Start > Right-click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on the System Restore tab
Click on C: drive then Settings
Untick Turn off System Restore on this drive
OK, OK

c - Make Internet Explorer more secure
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Note: If you are using IE, you may want to consider changing Mozilla FireFox which is subjected to fewer malware attacks than IE however remember that you still need to use IE for certain sites like Microsoft Updates.

d - Windows Updates
Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab or visit the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis.

e - Anti-Virus
It is important that your computer has anti-virus software installed and it is updated at least on a weekly basis. Further information and programs can be found >here<

f - Firewall
Using a Firewall in its default configuration greatly reduces the risk of your computer being hacked. Further information and programs can be found >here<

g - Hosts File
For added protection you may also like to add a host file, for more information regarding host files read >here<

h - WinPatrol
As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. For more information, please visit >here<

i - Anti-Malware Programs (all free)
Next, if they're not already present, I would recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs, and the updating of them on a regular basis:
  • Ad-Aware SE - This is a program that scans for and removes known spyware from your machine. >Tutorial<
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Spybot is a tool like Ad-Aware SE whereas it seeks out and removes known spyware from your machine. >Tutorial<
    These two tools (Ad-Aware & Spybot) are perfect complements to each other as one will most always find something the other missed.
  • Spyware Blaster - By altering your registry, this program stops harmful sites from installing things like ActiveX Controls on your machine.
    >Tutorial<
  • IE_Spyad - Works by placing known "bad" sites into your Internet Explorer "Restricted Zones" prohibiting them from doing potentially problematic things to your computer. >Tutorial<
I'm happy to leave this thread open until you return from working away this week - you could post here on your return to let me know all is still OK. Otherwise, if you're happy to close this thread now, please reply so that I know you have read it.

Thanks and safe computing
Vino
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby bmckay » April 29th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Hi Vino
I have followed all the instructions regarding system restore and changing security settings.
Could you please leave the thread open til I get back to give the kids a chance to use messenger and let me know if it is working ok?

When I ran the Karperski scan and it said I had 12 viruses and 59 infected files, did we remove those viruses? I think I just saved a log.
Does Karperski automatically fix those problems? Or did we fix them by renaming and replacing those two files?

Thanks for all your help.
Brian
bmckay

Unread postby Vino Rosso » April 29th, 2007, 1:07 pm

Brian wrote:Could you please leave the thread open til I get back to give the kids a chance to use messenger and let me know if it is working ok?

No problems :thumbright:

Brian wrote:When I ran the Karperski scan and it said I had 12 viruses and 59 infected files, did we remove those viruses? I think I just saved a log.
Does Karperski automatically fix those problems? Or did we fix them by renaming and replacing those two files?

Kaspersky does NOT remove infected files - we have to remove them ourselves. This can be a good thing as some scanners that automatically remove infected files *can* sometimes cause problems. Besides the two files we renamed, the remaining suspicious files were in the system restore area. By resetting the system restore points (item b in my last post), those files have been dealt with.

Hope that answers your questions.

Vino
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby bmckay » April 29th, 2007, 2:25 pm

Good stuff!

Ive done all that so should be fine.
Pc seems to be running a lot smoother now and Im now using firefox so we'll see how I get on with that.

Thanks very much for everything Vino this site is fantastic.

I'll get back to you next week and hopefully you can close the thread!

Cheers
Brian
bmckay

Unread postby Vino Rosso » April 29th, 2007, 2:34 pm

:thumbleft:
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby bmckay » May 5th, 2007, 4:50 am

Hi Vino

I think it is now safe to say that you can close this thread.

The kids have been using the pc all week now and have reported no problems so I think I am now CLEAN!

I cannot thank you enough for your help

Cheers
Brian
bmckay

Unread postby Vino Rosso » May 5th, 2007, 8:20 am

You are very welcome, Brian

Thanks for letting me know that the computer is still running OK.

Vino
Vino Rosso
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby markkhunt » May 5th, 2007, 9:50 am

Glad we could be of assistance.