Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

HJT sold to Trend Micro

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

HJT sold to Trend Micro

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 13th, 2007, 4:04 pm

See this on the creator's website:

http://www.merijn.org/index.php

and this on trend micro

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US ... ckthis.php

Wow, pretty surprising. I would rather it stay an in-house application and have work done by the author then trend. Hopefully, it may not go the way of cool web shredder (which merijn also sold to trend and they have done almost nothing with) and eventually die out and not be useful as MS continues to release operating system

Thought you would like to know (if you already didn't)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » March 13th, 2007, 4:32 pm

We're aware of it. Been public knowledge for a couple days now. And private knowledge for a few months.

Developers from Trend have been posting to forums about it... asking us what we would like to see in future versions of the program.

Seems they are willing to keep working on the tool.

Definately better than what they did with CWShredder... which is known to be pretty much nothing but re-brand it. There are reasons for that though.
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 13th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Always good news. I just learned about it today and it wasn't a post in this forum so I thought I would let some people know ;)

Hopefully, a new version will come out with the patches and such pretty soon.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby TeMerc » March 13th, 2007, 8:11 pm

'KotaGuy wrote: Developers from Trend have been posting to forums about it... asking us what we would like to see in future versions of the program.

Seems they are willing to keep working on the tool.

Definately better than what they did with CWShredder... which is known to be pretty much nothing but re-brand it. There are reasons for that though.

From what I recall, we got the same amount of 'lip service' with Shredder too. :(

Only time will tell.
TeMerc
Visiting Staff

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » March 13th, 2007, 8:41 pm

True, TeMerc... but honestly... how often is CWShredder used anymore? By the time it was sold to TM... it was rare to find a log where it was needed... even rarer now.

HJT is used daily at a multitude of different forums. Its "demand" is still great.

Besides... if TM does stop its development... we have backup plans in place ;)
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby TeMerc » March 14th, 2007, 1:59 am

'KotaGuy wrote:True, TeMerc... but honestly... how often is CWShredder used anymore? By the time it was sold to TM... it was rare to find a log where it was needed... even rarer now.

HJT is used daily at a multitude of different forums. Its "demand" is still great.

Besides... if TM does stop its development... we have backup plans in place ;)

While I'll concede that Shredder may have been on the way out, mostly due to Merjin's lack of time to properly code\update it, wasn't the point in selling to TM partially at least so they could?

Did they? I can safely say that all would agree they did not. Almost immediately the tool was useless.

And what of CWS variants, did those stop growing? Nope, sure didn't.

That's not to say that HJT will be anything like that, but there are some very interesting questions being asked about the old versions of HJT and if we are even going to allowed to use it!

I'm all for back up plans and know they are ongoing as we speak.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
TeMerc
Visiting Staff

Unread postby ChrisRLG » March 14th, 2007, 5:29 am

TeMerc

Shredder was legacy software when it was sold.
Merijn did well to sell at that time.

It was unable to deal with the A:B versions of CWS due to how it was written.

RD's About:Buster filled that void (for one of the versions) - and since then we have had lots of tools to deal with different infections as they come along.

HJT is a different animal - TM have directly started to talk to the community and hopefully to start to listen. But failing that we will have something to replace, although for me that is a last ditch choice when all else fails with TM.

Unlike when HJT was written - we now have a very large band of coders - between them we would have something to replace if it gets that far.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » March 14th, 2007, 8:58 am

Yeah... TM did kind of drop the ball with CWShredder... there are new variants of CWS floating around so the tool could have been updated for them.

Only they know why they didn't continue updating it.

As for the continuing use of older versions of HJT... will have to wait and see what happens.

I do know that TM would make pretty much all of us extremely mad if they started being like that. I don't think that is something they want.

That fire would spread very fast :D
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions