Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

What firewall is better to install?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

What firewall is better to install?

Unread postby willmiller » January 19th, 2007, 1:16 pm

My firewall that comes with my windows xp slows down my computer. What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free? :(
willmiller

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby beynac » January 19th, 2007, 1:34 pm

The ones I usually recommend are Sunbelt Kerio and Zone Alarm.Both are good and have a free version for personal use.

It's a good idea to change to a third-party firewall. Windows XP Firewall is better than nothing, but it only protects against incoming traffic. It doesn't protect you against outgoing baddies trying to "phone home".
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 12th, 2007, 2:56 pm

If the windows firewall is slowing your computer down, then you definetly have serious problems. Switching to ZoneAlarm or SKPF is not going to help you out any at all. Also, outbound protection is in theory pretty dumb if you think about it, seeing as though malware has already entered your machine, I think you need to address other issues first ;)

Cheers

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby amateur » March 12th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Alphalutra1 wrote: Also, outbound protection is in theory pretty dumb if you think about it, seeing as though malware has already entered your machine, I think you need to address other issues first ;)

Cheers

Alphalutra1

Well, at least it gives you the time to address those other issues without adding more to them.
amateur
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Katana » March 12th, 2007, 3:36 pm

Alphalutra1 wrote: Also, outbound protection is in theory pretty dumb if you think about it, seeing as though malware has already entered your machine

Outbound protection will stop the one that does get through from contacting "home" and inviting all it's friends
Katana
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 12th, 2007, 6:54 pm

But don't you see what is so wrong about that type of thinking?

Oh, I see malware is one my pc, so i will now stop it from calling out and getting more malware.

Sounds good, I guess :roll:

But, shouldn't you be more concerned about NEVER having malware on the pc in the first place. There is definetly a problem if you have the malware on your pc.

I know the University brainwashes all of you into believing that outbound protection is a necessity and very valuable if you want to stay alive on the internet, but guess what, its not!

Also, how many times would a user actually block the outbound attempts (almost never). Why? Oh, scvhost.exe is trying to connect, I should let it, or ieexplorer.exe, sure, why is my browser asking me to connect again. See, security is only as smart as the person behind the keyboard, so it is much smarter to teach the person how to avoid and not get malware, then let it in the pc and hope that they might click deny.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby amateur » March 12th, 2007, 7:48 pm

What's the problem Alphalutra1? You sound as if you have a grudge against MRU. Lighten up and let it go. ;)
amateur
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 12th, 2007, 8:42 pm

No grudge, more like I want to see people know correct information.

But, I guess in your "secret forums" I am probably a hot topic at the moment :lol:

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » March 13th, 2007, 12:27 am

Wow... kinda high on yourself... aren't ya?

And sorry to burst your bubble... but no... nobody has said a word about you in our "secret forums".

You're not worth the time.
'KotaGuy
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby beynac » March 13th, 2007, 3:25 am

I thought long and hard about whether to respond to your post. Yes, the OP obviously had a problem if Windows firewall was slowing his computer, but the question was about alternative firewalls. I answered that.

I decided not to reply to your comment about outbound protection being 'pretty dumb' as I thought that it was.... well, pretty dumb. You're obviously trying to make a point other than about firewalls and, as 'KotaGuy says, you're not worth the time!
beynac
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 13th, 2007, 4:00 pm

I consider calling me not worth the time blatant trolling, and this will be reported to an admin. Also, I would rather that discussion follow towards the orginal posts instead of blatant attacks towards users of the forums.

Clearly, it was a joke, and clearly, you guys are closed minded towards my attitude and view towards security. It is not essential to have outbound, true.

However, if the user is concerned with having a secure computer, in order to secure a computer, it should not have any problems running on it, correct? Well, the user obviously had problems not related to his computer. These problems should be fixed. Why not refer him and have his log looked at and his computer cleaned? Isn't that what the forum is about? Answering a question does not always involve blurting out some information. It involves going beyond and problem solving in order that all issues are sorted out.

Some infections aren't always visible and are hard to detect (rootkits for an example). Another pair of eyes or closer analysis would reveal this, but just looking at the surface and going after the visible stuff won't completely help the user? So giving more info. is much better then giving none, since any correct information should be appreciated

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby random/random » March 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm

I consider calling me not worth the time blatant trolling, and this will be reported to an admin

In case you haven't noticed, 'Kotaguy is an Admin

The original question in this topic has been well answered, so I'm closing this topic now.
random/random
Developer
Developer

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions